Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Banner causes scp to fail from script but not command line. Post 302544039 by RECrerar on Wednesday 3rd of August 2011 07:50:59 AM
Old 08-03-2011
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah sorry that is what I mean, I'm not very good at scripting yet so get my terminology a bit mixed up.

Could you possibly explain what you mean be: "fd 2 of the batch run is messed up. Interactively, it is the tty."

---------- Post updated 08-03-11 at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous update was 08-02-11 at 11:56 PM ----------

Hi again,

One of the lovely people from work who is actually good at their job has explained your answer and that does indeed seem the most likely explanation as the file that calls this script behaves slightly oddly and doesn't have any paths set up (I think because it is one of the first things run when the system starts up).

Thanks for the help, do you know if there is a way to specify for a who file where the stderr output should be directed to in case anyone in future forgets to redirect it? If not I will just update the comment at the top of the script to inform them of the need to do so.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Banner command

Hey all, I want to use the banner/echo command to write messages on different console windows. I knew that before, but I completely forget how to do it ! I just remenber that /dev/pts/# is the number of the window. and it's useful. It would be great if someone knows how to solve my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxwell17
4 Replies

2. Linux

banner command

is there a similiar function to the solaris banner function in linux? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

banner command

can I use Banner command in Linux, if not, what is the similar command in linux then... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasikaran
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

banner:command not found

hi, When i execute banner command the output is being displayed as banner:command not found When ever i give yum install banner the output is Loading "installonlyn" plugin Setting up Install Process Setting up repositories Parsing package install arguments Nothing to do what... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakashreddy
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

doubt in banner command !!!

hello, I am using banner command in my shell.I used :- The problem is that the output is printed in 3 separate lines.I want to display it in a single line.If the size is not enough then at least 2 words should come in the same line. Can you tell me what is the option in banner that would help... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

regarding banner command

Iam a MCA student having some doubts about 1) different disk related commands 2) Banner command 3) Different file related commands 4) set eb (where it is used) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gururajbhat
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Banner Command

Hi, I am logging in into an UNIX environment with my user id and password. I want to display my name there , each time I login into the environment, for which I can use the banner command. Which file should I add the banner command to , so that I will get the desired result? Regards,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kishore_1
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tr command fail to work in script

Hi, I has the following command in the script. This command works fine if I execute on command prompt. If I run the script, this is not working as expected (deleting CR). tr -d "\015" < ${FilePath}/${FileName} > ${FilePath}/${File_Prefix}.csv I could not figure out whats... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavuri
6 Replies

9. Solaris

don't want banner displayed when using scp

:wall: Is there a way to prevent the banner from displaying from the remote host when using scp? I see from the man pages that the '-o' option passes args to ssh and I've tried several variations of: scp -o "-q" file remotehost: Anybody got this to work? Thanks in Advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluescreen
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Banner command equivalent in Linux

Hi guys can i get banner equivalent command in linux. I am using Linux xcclx0619.target.com 2.6.18-308.11.1.el5xen #1 SMP Fri Jun 15 16:19:17 EDT 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
1 Replies
SYSTEMD.OFFLINE-UPDATES(7)				      systemd.offline-updates					SYSTEMD.OFFLINE-UPDATES(7)

NAME
systemd.offline-updates - Implementation of offline updates in systemd IMPLEMENTING OFFLINE SYSTEM UPDATES
This man page describes how to implement "offline" system updates with systemd. By "offline" OS updates we mean package installations and updates that are run with the system booted into a special system update mode, in order to avoid problems related to conflicts of libraries and services that are currently running with those on disk. This document is inspired by this GNOME design whiteboard[1]. The logic: 1. The package manager prepares system updates by downloading all (RPM or DEB or whatever) packages to update off-line in a special directory /var/lib/system-update (or another directory of the package/upgrade manager's choice). 2. When the user OK'ed the update, the symlink /system-update is created that points to /var/lib/system-update (or wherever the directory with the upgrade files is located) and the system is rebooted. This symlink is in the root directory, since we need to check for it very early at boot, at a time where /var is not available yet. 3. Very early in the new boot systemd-system-update-generator(8) checks whether /system-update exists. If so, it (temporarily and for this boot only) redirects (i.e. symlinks) default.target to system-update.target, a special target that pulls in the base system (i.e. sysinit.target, so that all file systems are mounted but little else) and the system update units. 4. The system now continues to boot into default.target, and thus into system-update.target. This target pulls in all system update units. Only one service should perform an update (see the next point), and all the other ones should exit cleanly with a "success" return code and without doing anything. Update services should be ordered after sysinit.target so that the update starts after all file systems have been mounted. 5. As the first step, an update service should check if the /system-update symlink points to the location used by that update service. In case it does not exist or points to a different location, the service must exit without error. It is possible for multiple update services to be installed, and for multiple update services to be launched in parallel, and only the one that corresponds to the tool that created the symlink before reboot should perform any actions. It is unsafe to run multiple updates in parallel. 6. The update service should now do its job. If applicable and possible, it should create a file system snapshot, then install all packages. After completion (regardless whether the update succeeded or failed) the machine must be rebooted, for example by calling systemctl reboot. In addition, on failure the script should revert to the old file system snapshot (without the symlink). 7. The upgrade scripts should exit only after the update is finished. It is expected that the service which performs the upgrade will cause the machine to reboot after it is done. If the system-update.target is successfully reached, i.e. all update services have run, and the /system-update symlink still exists, it will be removed and the machine rebooted as a safety measure. 8. After a reboot, now that the /system-update symlink is gone, the generator won't redirect default.target anymore and the system now boots into the default target again. RECOMMENDATIONS
1. To make things a bit more robust we recommend hooking the update script into system-update.target via a .wants/ symlink in the distribution package, rather than depending on systemctl enable in the postinst scriptlets of your package. More specifically, for your update script create a .service file, without [Install] section, and then add a symlink like /lib/systemd/system-update.target.wants/foobar.service -> ../foobar.service to your package. 2. Make sure to remove the /system-update symlink as early as possible in the update script to avoid reboot loops in case the update fails. 3. Use FailureAction=reboot in the service file for your update script to ensure that a reboot is automatically triggered if the update fails. FailureAction= makes sure that the specified unit is activated if your script exits uncleanly (by non-zero error code, or signal/coredump). If your script succeeds you should trigger the reboot in your own code, for example by invoking logind's Reboot() call or calling systemctl reboot. See logind dbus API[2] for details. 4. The update service should declare DefaultDependencies=false, Requires=sysinit.target, After=sysinit.target, and explicitly pull in any other services it requires. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd.generator(7), systemd-system-update-generator(8), dnf.plugin.system-upgrade(8) NOTES
1. GNOME design whiteboard https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/SoftwareUpdates 2. logind dbus API https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/logind systemd 237 SYSTEMD.OFFLINE-UPDATES(7)