Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing in regular expression as a parameter to sed Post 302543883 by aigles on Tuesday 2nd of August 2011 10:40:45 AM
Old 08-02-2011
Works fine for me (on AIX box) :
Code:
$ cat sat.ksh
while IFS='|' read file search_string replace_string
do
    sed -e "s/${search_string}/${replace_string}/g"  ${file} > ${file}.tmp && \
    mv ${file}.tmp ${file}
done <sat.dat
$ cat sat.xml
<rmi-port>13093</rmi-port>
$ cat sat.dat
sat.xml|^<rmi-port>[0-9][0-9]|<rmi-port>18
$ ./sat.ksh
$ cat sat.xml
<rmi-port>18093</rmi-port>
$

Jean-Pierre.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression as parameter

Hello everybody, I have a problem with creating a script which allows a single parameter to be passed. Sorry if I'm not expert, I'm new at this and . The code is if ; then echo "Something" exit fi ...does other things... grep -i $1 $TEMPUSERS > $USERSFILE COUNT=`wc -l... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gnappo
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression with SED

Hi! I'm trying to write a regexp but I have no luck... I have a string like this: param1=sometext&param2=hello&param3=bye Also, the string can be simply: param2=hello I want to return the value of param2: "hello". How can I do this? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GagleKas
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Variable to Regular Expression

Hi All, Below is a sample code: print "Enter the Name: "; my $Name = <>; print "Word is $Name"; open (FH,"AIDNameList.txt"); while (<FH>) { my $line; print "Word is $Name"; for $line(<FH>)... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
12 Replies

4. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing a regex as variable to awk and using that as regular expression for search

Hi All, I have a sftp session log where I am transferring multi files by issuing "mput abc*.dat". The contents of the logfile is below - ################################################# Connecting to 10.75.112.194... Changing to: /home/dasd9x/testing1 sftp> mput abc*.dat Uploading... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_bijitesh
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parameter Expansion with regular expression

Hello experts, I am exploring parameter expansion, and trying to cut the fields in a URL. Following is the requirement: I have // abc.nnt /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4/somefile.java What i need to get is the path after dir3, and dir3 will be passed. output that i need is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gjarms
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Hello All, I'm trying to extract the lines between two consecutive elements of an array from a file. My array looks like: problem_arr=(PRS111 PRS213 PRS234) j=0 while } ] do k=`expr $j + 1` sed -n "/${problem_arr}/,/${problem_arr}/p" problemid.txt ---some operation goes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: InduInduIndu
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing regular expression to nawk

I am trying to test if I can replace a regular expression in 'nawk' with a variable. Please let me know why it is not working. I am using ksh88i on solaris8 I am trying use this test as a building block to filter active external DNS connections. Ideally I want to pass variable defined... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

I am learning regular expression in sed,Please help me understand the use curly bracket in sed,

I am learning SED and just following the shell scripting book, i have trouble understanding the grep and sed statement, Question : 1 __________ /opt/oracle/work/antony>cat teledir.txt jai sharma 25853670 chanchal singhvi 9831545629 anil aggarwal 9830263298 shyam saksena 23217847 lalit... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Antony Ankrose
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing parameter inside the expression

Hello, i need to pass the variable in place of pwd. how to display variable in the bleow syntax. suppose, passwd="test", then 'id/$passwd..... FEDFlagResult=`sqlplus -S 'id/pwd@(DESCRIPTION= (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=localhost)(PORT=1643))(CONNECT_DATA= (SID=peta1)))'<< EOF select... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balareddy
4 Replies