Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed - using value returned by W+ Post 302543849 by Nigel_R on Tuesday 2nd of August 2011 08:50:42 AM
Old 08-02-2011
Thanks - I'm reading the sed pages at grymoire at the moment, and having a play with your sed to try and gain a better understanding.

If the text varies, however, it fails:
Code:

#limerick There was a young lady from Nantucket..
\images\Blank.jpg
Blank
:end
#joke A horse walked into a bar,
and the barman said
\images\Blank.jpg
other text #joke A bear and a rabbit.
\images\Blank.jpg

to
Code:

#limerick There was a young lady from Nantucket..
\images\limerick.jpg
limerick
#joke A horse walked into a bar,
and the barman said
\images\joke.jpg
other text #joke A bear and a rabbit.
\images\joke.jpg

using something like
Code:
/#\w+/,/:end/

to define a start/stop could suit my need better. Is this possible?

Nigel

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

w/who command returned zero users

Hi ppl, We are using Sun OS and recently, encountered this strange problem. When issuing the "w" or "who" command, the system produce no listing. See screen shot below. ----------------------- $ w 2:56pm up 2 day(s), 21:10, 0 users, load average: 1.03, 0.75, 0.69 User tty ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sinyem
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

-1 returned from fetchall_arrayraf

Hi all, below is my PERL script $ids = $dbh->prepare ("select * from tableA"); $ids->execute(); $names = $ids->fetchall_arrayref(); print " Total valid ids is $#names \n"; Table only has 1 column, approx 400 rows the value of $#names is -1. Would anyone point out what could have caused the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: new2ss
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

ridst returned

The rdist command script is called in the program to synchronize the updated files, I wonder whether the rdist returned can be fetched or not from the program? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frank2004
0 Replies

4. HP-UX

returned from remote command

Hi, there, I want to excute the remote command shell via "remsh", are there any simple or best way to get the result of remote shell from local ? thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frank2004
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign value to a variable with row(using -n) returned by sed

Hi Friends, REQUIREMENT: Want to delete files from the current directory match with the same in the file test.txt set -x i=1 echo "i=$i" COUNT=`sed -n '$=' test.txt` echo "Count=$COUNT" while do "## Here is error##" FILETOREMOVE=`sed -n \'$i,1p\' test.txt` echo $FILETOREMOVE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sourabhsharma
5 Replies

6. HP-UX

about the value returned from oracle

Hi all can i use unix variable holds the data returned by oracle in a shell script? x=sqlplus -s u/p@h <<! >>fg.log whenever sqlerr exit 1 select count(*) from schema.mat_view; exit ! echo $x Will the $x return the value of count(*)? thanks megh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megh
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete files returned by ls

I need to delete the files that are returned by this ls command: root@16:06:37@whci03:/var/log/whci# ls -ltrhS | grep "Apr " -rw-r--r-- 1 whci users 180M Apr 4 00:00 20090403_whci_Access.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 whci users 185M Apr 4 00:00 20090403_whci_Access.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 whci users 189M... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: whci98
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is returned when using 'find . -ls'

Hi all, I tried to find the reply using google, yet did not find a conclusive answer. When I use 'find . -ls', I get something like: 3423297 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 useradmin staff 135 4 apr 09:46 ./.~lock.dir-file-list.csv# I know that 3423297 is the inode -rw-r--r-- ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dakke
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

check variable value when nothing is returned

Hi all, I am wondering how can I check when a variable has nothing returned in it. I am trying to store a pid in this variable to see if a script is running in the background. So I am using something like that proc_pid=`ps -ef |grep script.sh|grep -v grep|awk '{print $2}'` if then ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geovas
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Netout: write returned 0?

Hi Am Using unix Aix When i ftp the zero size file getting the netout: write returned 0? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
1 Replies
Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)

NAME
Graphics::Primitive::Insets - Space between things DESCRIPTION
Graphics::Primitive::Insets represents the amount of space that surrounds something. This object can be used to represent either padding or margins (in the CSS sense, one being inside the bounding box, the other being outside) SYNOPSIS
use Graphics::Primitive::Insets; my $insets = Graphics::Primitive::Insets->new({ top => 5, bottom => 5, left => 5, right => 5 }); METHODS
Constructor new Creates a new Graphics::Primitive::Insets. Instance Methods as_array Return these insets as an array in the form of top, right, bottom and left. bottom Set/Get the inset from the bottom. equal_to Determine if these Insets are equal to another. left Set/Get the inset from the left. right Set/Get the inset from the right. top Set/Get the inset from the top. zero Sets all the insets (top, left, bottom, right) to 0. AUTHOR
Cory Watson, "<gphat@cpan.org>" SEE ALSO
perl(1) COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2008-2010 by Cory G Watson. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.3 2010-08-21 Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)