Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need your help on permission of /etc/shadow! Post 302543779 by pludi on Tuesday 2nd of August 2011 04:26:27 AM
Old 08-02-2011
The SUID (Set User ID) bit tells the kernel to run a program (not script) using the UID assigned to the file, in this case root. And root always has the permissions to change any file. Which is why SUID binaries should be used only very very rarely, and only if you know what that program is doing.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shadow

Can some one explain to me how to disable the Shadow file or disconnect it from the passwd file. I am trying to configure a UNIX SCO box to use NIS and it continues to look at its own Shadow file. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokie44
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shadow file

what does 'x' in the encrypted password field in /etc/shaodw file represent? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbashir
3 Replies

3. Programming

Shadow Passwords

I'm writing a 'C' program on various systems (HP-UX, Solaris, AIX, NCR) which needs to interact with a user's password. Some of my systems are using the shadow password and some are not. It is possible for some of my systems to have /etc/shadow, even though the box is not using the file (I know,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisc@nwark.ne
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/etc/shadow file....

Does anyone know what "!!" represents in the password field of the /etc/shadow file? :confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: avcert1998
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shadow entry

In /etc/shadow ..we have all the user entries ..? Like when ever an user is created a corresponding entry is created in /etc/shadow...? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rachna
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shadow file

Hi, In shadow file smithj:Ep6mckrOLChF.:10063:0:99999:7::: 3rd Field 10063 indicates the number of days (since January 1, 1970) since the password was last changed. I want to get the result with script the date on which the password was last changed in YYYY-MM-DD format. can... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding /etc/shadow

What do the !! signify below in this /etc/shadow entry? apache:!!:13713:0:99999:7::: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'!!' in /etc/shadow

I notice there are '*'s and '!!'s in my /etc/shadow file. And I know these are for preventing login. But what are the differences among '*', '!' and '!!' ? THX! mail:*:14789:0:99999:7::: uucp:*:14789:0:99999:7::: ... dbus:!!:14919:::::: rpc:!!:14919:0:99999:7::: ...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shadow file help

As a part of linux hardening In shadow file all Application accounts which are not locked must contain only an asterisk “*” in the Passwd field. But how would i do it by using command? Is there any way other than modifying shadow file to accomplish this task? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need a help with /etc/shadow

Hi, I wanna see the content of the file /etc/shadow.. But i don't have the permission and also the root permission. Still is it possible to view it??? Any tricks?? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adhi
5 Replies
SETUID(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 SETUID(2)

NAME
setuid - set user identity SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> int setuid(uid_t uid); DESCRIPTION
setuid() sets the effective user ID of the calling process. If the effective UID of the caller is root, the real UID and saved set-user-ID are also set. Under Linux, setuid() is implemented like the POSIX version with the _POSIX_SAVED_IDS feature. This allows a set-user-ID (other than root) program to drop all of its user privileges, do some un-privileged work, and then reengage the original effective user ID in a secure man- ner. If the user is root or the program is set-user-ID-root, special care must be taken. The setuid() function checks the effective user ID of the caller and if it is the superuser, all process-related user ID's are set to uid. After this has occurred, it is impossible for the program to regain root privileges. Thus, a set-user-ID-root program wishing to temporarily drop root privileges, assume the identity of an unprivileged user, and then regain root privileges afterward cannot use setuid(). You can accomplish this with seteuid(2). RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EAGAIN The uid does not match the current uid and uid brings process over its RLIMIT_NPROC resource limit. EPERM The user is not privileged (Linux: does not have the CAP_SETUID capability) and uid does not match the real UID or saved set-user-ID of the calling process. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, POSIX.1-2001. Not quite compatible with the 4.4BSD call, which sets all of the real, saved, and effective user IDs. NOTES
Linux has the concept of the file system user ID, normally equal to the effective user ID. The setuid() call also sets the file system user ID of the calling process. See setfsuid(2). If uid is different from the old effective UID, the process will be forbidden from leaving core dumps. The original Linux setuid() system call supported only 16-bit user IDs. Subsequently, Linux 2.4 added setuid32() supporting 32-bit IDs. The glibc setuid() wrapper function transparently deals with the variation across kernel versions. SEE ALSO
getuid(2), seteuid(2), setfsuid(2), setreuid(2), capabilities(7), credentials(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2010-11-22 SETUID(2)