Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Best reference for understanding low level info on nic cards drivers and functionality Post 302543662 by DGPickett on Monday 1st of August 2011 04:10:14 PM
Old 08-01-2011
From the silence, I sense my gut feel is right: they vary tremendously in what they do and how much they load CPU and RAM bus, as well as how well they do it, latency and bandwidth and duplex support and bells and whistles that might be worth it. Probably as bad a video cards! With multicore systems, is CPU cost a worry? Might e slower than an embedded CPU! Good luck. AnandTech has been a good reference in many areas, so he might come through here, too. http://www.anandtech.com/show/2956/1...-bottleneck-/1

Last edited by DGPickett; 08-01-2011 at 05:17 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to DGPickett For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Low level format?

I want to do a low level format like in windows (C:\format c:) but I don't know how it works in unix or linux.. Can somebody help me ? thnx :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: day
3 Replies

2. Solaris

NIC cards for sunblade 100

I need to add a PCI NIC to a sunblade 100 running solaris 8. Im new to this and was hoping someone could give me some card names and models which will work for this system and has a driver for this sparc system. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meyersp
3 Replies

3. IP Networking

Setup 2 NIC cards in one UNIX system

Hi; I have a UNIX box (SCO 5.0.2) with two (2) NIC cards. One card (NIC1) talks to a network 57.14.65.x/27. The other card NIC2) talks to users on 57.14.103.x and 57.14.105.x with subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. If I set NIC2 to this subnet mask (255.255.0.0) it seems like the NIC traffic is now... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: texaspanama
2 Replies

4. High Performance Computing

veritas and nic cards

Hello I have 2 machines with 3 NIC cards. When I setup veritas, I receive this message: e1000g1 has an IP address configured on it. It could be a public NIC on ken. Are you sure you want to use e1000g1 for the first private heartbeat link? As if e1000g1 should not have an IP address.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

External NIC cards not pinging with each other in RHEL 5.1

We have a setup of two nodes which has two NIC cards in each. One is built in and another is D-Link (external NIC card). We are unable to ping to the external NIC cards in both. Eg: Node A has two IPs 192.168.1.10 (eth0) and 192.168.2.10 (eth1) and Node B has two IPs 192.168.1.20 (eth0) and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

HP UX 9000 NIC CARDS

Hello, I am trying to move an HP UX from one locaion to another. The new location don't have any Fiber switches. On the back of my server I see 2 RJ 45 for console management the other for networking , the server also has a fiber NIC card. When I disconnec the fiber and want to user regular... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ldaliosmane
1 Replies

7. AIX

High Runqueue (R) LOW CPU LOW I/O Low Network Low memory usage

Hello All I have a system running AIX 61 shared uncapped partition (with 11 physical processors, 24 Virtual 72GB of Memory) . The output from NMON, vmstat show a high run queue (60+) for continous periods of time intervals, but NO paging, relatively low I/o (6000) , CPU % is 40, Low network.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: IL-Malti
9 Replies

8. Programming

Why is C/C++ considered low-level languages???

Hi friends, I hope everyone is doing well and fine. I have always been hearing that C/C++ are relatively low-level as compared to Java/C# etc. Could you please tell me some low-level qualities of C/C++? And I think disk deframenters are written in C/C++, please correct me if I am wrong. And please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
5 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Help asap squid with 2 nic cards setup

I found an old post that talks about 2 nice cards and it is driven by the IP address .... but I didn't understand it because the 2 people skipped information for me the newbie.. Can someone help me... I have the proxy server setup and I believe I have enabled the 2nd nic card, I just need one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trilju2005
1 Replies

10. Programming

Low level X11 programming

How to use X11 without Xlib not XCB? How draw window directly on low level? I must use anyway window manager like Motif? I have ridden that X11 has server-client architecture, client send via TCP/IP to port 6000 request for primitives and get replies. Where is detailed description of it? In X11... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AndrzejB
0 Replies
GFREG(1)																  GFREG(1)

NAME
gfreg - register a Gfarm file, Gfarm file fragments, or a Gfarm directory SYNOPSIS
gfreg [ -p ] [ -h filesystem-node | -H hostfile | -D domainname ] [ -a architecture ] program ... gfarm-URL gfreg [ -i ] [ -h filesystem-node | -H hostfile | -D domainname ] localfile ... gfarm-URL gfreg -N total-num-of-fragments -I fragment-index [ -h filesystem-node | -H hostfile | -D domainname ] localfile ... gfarm-URL gfreg -r [ -h filesystem-node | -H hostfile | -D domainname ] [ -a architecture ] [ directory | program | localfile ] ... gfarm-URL DESCRIPTION
The first form copies and registers the program as a Gfarm file gfarm-URL in the Gfarm filesystem. When gfarm-URL is a directory, multiple programs can be specified. After the registration, the gfarm-URL can be specified as a program name of gfrun(1) and gfmpirun_p4(1). With- out the -p option, only executable file can be specified. With the -p option, non-executable file can be specified as well. Without the -a option or the -h option, architecture of the program is assumed to be the same architecture as the client host on that gfreg(1) is exe- cuted, which is obtained by the Gfarm metaserver. The second form registers one or more localfiles as a single Gfarm file. Without the -i option, only non-executable file can be specified as localfile. With the -i option, both excutable and non-executable file can be specified as localfile. The destination filesystem node will be automatically selected by CPU load average. With any one of -h, -H, -D options, filesystem node can be limited. The third form registers localfile as a file fragment of a Gfarm file. The total number of fragments and the fragment index are specified by the -N option and the -I option, respectively. When gfarm-URL is a directory, multiple localfiles can be specified. The destination filesystemnode will be automatically decided by CPU load average unless any one of -h, -H, -D options is explicitly specified. When the gfreg command of this form is executed on a filesystem node, the local filesystem node is always selected rather than a remote filesys- temnode. In this case, -h, -H, -D options help to store files dispersively. The fourth form registers the directory as a Gfarm directory gfarm-URL, the program or the localfile as a Gfarm file gfarm-URL. If direc- tory have some sub directories and/or files, they will be registered recursively. The non-executable file localfile will be registered as a file has one fragment. A non-executable file in the directory will be registered in the same way. When gfarm-URL already exists as a directory, multiple directories, programs, and localfiles can be specified and they will be registered in gfarm-URL. They can be mixed in parameteres, while other forms inhibit this manner. If gfarm-URL does not exist, one directory or one program, or one localfile can be specified and it will be registered as gfarm-URL. Refer to the first form's part above to specify filesystem node thatprogfarms and files will reside with the -a option or the -h option. OPTIONS
-f overwrites gfarm-URL even if it exits as a Gfarm file. -? displays a list of command options. Gfarm 05 April 2006 GFREG(1)