Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script that takes strings as input Post 302543608 by bashnewbee on Monday 1st of August 2011 11:07:02 AM
Old 08-01-2011
Script that takes strings as input

Hello all!

I need to take a series of inputs passed to one shell script and pass them to a second shell script.

For example, the first shell script, script_one.sh, has the following inputs:

Code:
./script_one -u username -p password -option1 string1 -option2 -string2 ....

Inside of script_one.sh I want to pass script_two.sh the same inputs as shown below...

Code:
./script_two -u username -p password -option1 string1 -option2 -string2 ....

However, I do not know all of the inputs nor what order they are in. I simply want to take what is passed to script_one and pass it to script_two possibly in the form of a string.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited by bashnewbee; 08-01-2011 at 12:20 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

odd behaviour with quoted input strings

I'm working with a java-based monitoring tool (Solaris/x86) which can be configured to call a shell script when a particular event occurs. The java app sends a set of quoted strings as input to the shell script. The problem I'm running into is that the shell script, when called by the java app,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: iron_horse
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script takes params

i want to write a shell script that can be run as ./deployPortal.sh -version 5.1.2 -portlet -exportall how can i do that? version param is required. bu the others are optional. in first step i only want to read 5.1.2, is portlet selected ? and is exportall selected ?? can you... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: keromotti
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need inputs on how i can change my script to reduce amount of time the script takes

HI , I have a list1 which consists of data that i have to search and a list2 which has the files that need to be searched .So basically i am using list1 on list2 to see if list1 data is present if found replace it .I have written the code using foreach loop for each list .This is taking the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhul2002
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script that takes in variables, and outputs to another text or script file

Ok, I sort of need to create a command files that will be ftped to another server to run. I have some input variable that will need to be read, and then transformed into another script file. Here are some examples. Server 1: outputCmd.sh passing in ./outputCmd.sh nh8oaxt Release_4_0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orozcom
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script takes the whole filename instead of just extension

I am running my script from "/abc/" this path and it has no ".csv files" but has a ".txt" files namely temp1.txt My script goes as below, wherein it is suppose to find files with *.txt extension and *.csv extension in another path namely "/abc/xyz/": #!/bin/ksh PATH1="/abc/xyz/" value="*.csv... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wolverine999
1 Replies

6. Programming

My exe takes more time for specied input

My application is coded in C++ and uses pro C to get data from oracle database. My executable file is taking more time to execute for some specified input. Is there any way to check where it spends the maximum time? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SamRoj
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to run sql query from a script..which takes input from a file

I need to run sql script from shell script which takes the input from a file and contents of file will be like : 12345 34567 78657 and query will be like : select seq_nbr from bus_event where event_nbr='12345'; select seq_nbr from bus_event where event_nbr='34567'; select seq_nbr... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkrish
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

create an array which can store the strings from the user input in shell script

I want to create an array which can store the strings from the user input in shell script . example :- I want to store the 5 fruits name in a single array which the user provides . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pkast
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script that takes IP address as an Input and deletes 7 lines

I have a flat file that contains a list of IP address following 6 additional lines. I would like to get a help in the following. a shell script that would take ip address or list of ip addresses as input, search one by one the ip address in the file and as soon as it find the exact match it... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: knijjar
12 Replies

10. Programming

Python or Shell script to Grep strings from input file and output in csv format

Hi Experts, I am writing a python script to grep string from file and display output in csv file as in attached screenshot https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gfUUdfmQma33tz65NskThYDhkZUGQO0H/view Input file(result_EPFT_config_device) Below is the python script i have prepared as of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: as7951
1 Replies
TR(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     TR(1)

NAME
tr -- translate characters SYNOPSIS
tr [-cs] string1 string2 tr [-c] -d string1 tr [-c] -s string1 tr [-c] -ds string1 string2 DESCRIPTION
The tr utility copies the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters. The following options are available: -c Complements the set of characters in string1, that is -c ab includes every character except for 'a' and 'b'. -d The -d option causes characters to be deleted from the input. -s The -s option squeezes multiple occurrences of the characters listed in the last operand (either string1 or string2) in the input into a single instance of the character. This occurs after all deletion and translation is completed. In the first synopsis form, the characters in string1 are translated into the characters in string2 where the first character in string1 is translated into the first character in string2 and so on. If string1 is longer than string2, the last character found in string2 is dupli- cated until string1 is exhausted. In the second synopsis form, the characters in string1 are deleted from the input. In the third synopsis form, the characters in string1 are compressed as described for the -s option. In the fourth synopsis form, the characters in string1 are deleted from the input, and the characters in string2 are compressed as described for the -s option. The following conventions can be used in string1 and string2 to specify sets of characters: character Any character not described by one of the following conventions represents itself. octal A backslash followed by 1, 2 or 3 octal digits represents a character with that encoded value. To follow an octal sequence with a digit as a character, left zero-pad the octal sequence to the full 3 octal digits. character A backslash followed by certain special characters maps to special values. a <alert character>  <backspace> f <form-feed> <newline> <carriage return> <tab> v <vertical tab> A backslash followed by any other character maps to that character. c-c Represents the range of characters between the range endpoints, inclusively. [:class:] Represents all characters belonging to the defined character class. Class names are: alnum <alphanumeric characters> alpha <alphabetic characters> blank <blank characters> cntrl <control characters> digit <numeric characters> graph <graphic characters> lower <lower-case alphabetic characters> print <printable characters> punct <punctuation characters> space <space characters> upper <upper-case characters> xdigit <hexadecimal characters> With the exception of the ``upper'' and ``lower'' classes, characters in the classes are in unspecified order. In the ``upper'' and ``lower'' classes, characters are entered in ascending order. For specific information as to which ASCII characters are included in these classes, see ctype(3) and related manual pages. [=equiv=] Represents all characters or collating (sorting) elements belonging to the same equivalence class as equiv. If there is a sec- ondary ordering within the equivalence class, the characters are ordered in ascending sequence. Otherwise, they are ordered after their encoded values. An example of an equivalence class might be ``c'' and ``ch'' in Spanish; English has no equivalence classes. [#*n] Represents n repeated occurrences of the character represented by #. This expression is only valid when it occurs in string2. If n is omitted or is zero, it is interpreted as large enough to extend string2 sequence to the length of string1. If n has a lead- ing zero, it is interpreted as an octal value, otherwise, it's interpreted as a decimal value. EXIT STATUS
tr exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following examples are shown as given to the shell: Create a list of the words in file1, one per line, where a word is taken to be a maximal string of letters: tr -cs "[:alpha:]" " " < file1 Translate the contents of file1 to upper-case: tr "[:lower:]" "[:upper:]" < file1 Strip out non-printable characters from file1: tr -cd "[:print:]" < file1 COMPATIBILITY
AT&T System V UNIX has historically implemented character ranges using the syntax ``[c-c]'' instead of the ``c-c'' used by historic BSD implementations and standardized by POSIX. AT&T System V UNIX shell scripts should work under this implementation as long as the range is intended to map in another range, i.e. the command tr [a-z] [A-Z] will work as it will map the '[' character in string1 to the '[' character in string2. However, if the shell script is deleting or squeezing characters as in the command tr -d [a-z] the characters '[' and ']' will be included in the deletion or compression list which would not have happened under an historic AT&T System V UNIX implementation. Additionally, any scripts that depended on the sequence ``a-z'' to represent the three characters 'a', '-', and 'z' will have to be rewritten as ``a-z''. The tr utility has historically not permitted the manipulation of NUL bytes in its input and, additionally, stripped NUL's from its input stream. This implementation has removed this behavior as a bug. The tr utility has historically been extremely forgiving of syntax errors, for example, the -c and -s options were ignored unless two strings were specified. This implementation will not permit illegal syntax. STANDARDS
The tr utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. It should be noted that the feature wherein the last character of string2 is duplicated if string2 has less characters than string1 is permitted by POSIX but is not required. Shell scripts attempting to be portable to other POSIX systems should use the ``[#*]'' convention instead of relying on this behavior. BUGS
tr was originally designed to work with US-ASCII. Its use with character sets that do not share all the properties of US-ASCII, e.g., a sym- metric set of upper and lower case characters that can be algorithmically converted one to the other, may yield unpredictable results. tr should be internationalized. BSD
March 23, 2004 BSD