Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with delete cmd
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with delete cmd Post 302543358 by mirni on Sunday 31st of July 2011 08:32:07 AM
Old 07-31-2011
not by executing rm *, but you can very easily count them, if you set up deleting from a loop:

Code:
cnt=0
for file in * ; do
  rm $file 
  $? && ((cnt++))
done

echo "$cnt files removed" >> log

Another solution would be running rm verbosely and capturing the output
Code:
rm -v * > log
cnt=`wc -l log`

The loop has an advantage of not being limited by number of files you are deleting -- every shell has a limit on how much of arguments it can take, so if you have tens of thousands of files and do 'rm *' it may complain about "Too many arguments".

Last edited by mirni; 07-31-2011 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: too many args

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man <cmd> >> cmd.txt

I've noticed most of my postings here are because of syntax errors. So I want to begin compiling a large txt file that contains all the "man <cmd>" of the commands I most have problems with. I ran a "man nawk >> nawk.txt" but it included a header/footer on each "page". Anyone know how I'd be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
6 Replies

2. Programming

open cmd

if((LogFile=open(TempStr,O_CREAT|O_WRONLY|O_APPEND,0666))==-1) return(1); could someone explain me what the open() does here (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankpro
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mv cmd

Hi All, How can I move only files to another destination using mv cmd in hp-ux. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhbd
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

date cmd

Hi all, date +%d/%m/%Y This is the command that displays current date(18/09/2008). Now, is there a way that would give me yesterdays date..? or tomorrows date n things like that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijay_0209
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed cmd

write the sed command for swapping the first and 2nd (fields)words in the following file input file cse1 rama 1223 cse2 raju 2453 cse3 sita 3523 i tried with this $sed 's/ \(*\)/ \(*\)/ \2,\1' myfile1 but not getting th required... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankar_vitam
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix cmd prompt how to get old cmd run?

Hi, I am using SunOS I want to serch my previous command from unix prompt (like on AIX we can search by ESC -k) how to get in SunOs urgent help require. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl open(CMD, "cmd |"); buffering problem..

Hello, There's a third-party application's command that shows the application's status like "tail -f verybusy.log". When use the command, the output comes every 1-sec. but when it goes in a script below the output comes every 8-sec...What is the problem and how can I fix it? open(CMD,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shawn, Lee
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with the find cmd

Hello, I'm having a trouble with the find cmd. I would like to find all the java versions on my systems. I have solaris 9 & 10 RHEL and SUSIE. java -version doesn't give all the versions on the server. So I am trying to use the find command to find them all find / -name java I would... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bitlord
7 Replies

9. Linux

Env cmd

Hello, As a workaround for certain issue, I want to use SSH with a clean environment. I tried this: env -i ssh, but it returns: env -i ssh grep: ssh: No such file or directory As I'm a beginner, it would be great if you can suggest me, what is going wrong here. Thank you, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joyb25
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with cmd while using ps

Hi i am new to shell scripting and any help is really appreciated. my requirement is in, ps -e -o pid,uname,cmd how can i split and take only the cmd part from it. I tried awk but the issue is when the cmd is returning a lengthy command which itself has some spaces it is truncating the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jojo90
7 Replies
PCAP_LOOP(3PCAP)														  PCAP_LOOP(3PCAP)

NAME
pcap_loop, pcap_dispatch - process packets from a live capture or savefile SYNOPSIS
#include <pcap/pcap.h> typedef void (*pcap_handler)(u_char *user, const struct pcap_pkthdr *h, const u_char *bytes); int pcap_loop(pcap_t *p, int cnt, pcap_handler callback, u_char *user); int pcap_dispatch(pcap_t *p, int cnt, pcap_handler callback, u_char *user); DESCRIPTION
pcap_loop() processes packets from a live capture or ``savefile'' until cnt packets are processed, the end of the ``savefile'' is reached when reading from a ``savefile'', pcap_breakloop() is called, or an error occurs. It does not return when live read timeouts occur. A value of -1 or 0 for cnt is equivalent to infinity, so that packets are processed until another ending condition occurs. pcap_dispatch() processes packets from a live capture or ``savefile'' until cnt packets are processed, the end of the current bufferful of packets is reached when doing a live capture, the end of the ``savefile'' is reached when reading from a ``savefile'', pcap_breakloop() is called, or an error occurs. Thus, when doing a live capture, cnt is the maximum number of packets to process before returning, but is not a minimum number; when reading a live capture, only one bufferful of packets is read at a time, so fewer than cnt packets may be processed. A value of -1 or 0 for cnt causes all the packets received in one buffer to be processed when reading a live capture, and causes all the packets in the file to be processed when reading a ``savefile''. (In older versions of libpcap, the behavior when cnt was 0 was undefined; different platforms and devices behaved differently, so code that must work with older versions of libpcap should use -1, nor 0, as the value of cnt.) callback specifies a pcap_handler routine to be called with three arguments: a u_char pointer which is passed in the user argument to pcap_loop() or pcap_dispatch(), a const struct pcap_pkthdr pointer pointing to the packet time stamp and lengths, and a const u_char pointer to the first caplen (as given in the struct pcap_pkthdr a pointer to which is passed to the callback routine) bytes of data from the packet. The struct pcap_pkthdr and the packet data are not to be freed by the callback routine, and are not guaranteed to be valid after the callback routine returns; if the code needs them to be valid after the callback, it must make a copy of them. RETURN VALUE
pcap_loop() returns 0 if cnt is exhausted, -1 if an error occurs, or -2 if the loop terminated due to a call to pcap_breakloop() before any packets were processed. It does not return when live read timeouts occur; instead, it attempts to read more packets. pcap_dispatch() returns the number of packets processed on success; this can be 0 if no packets were read from a live capture (if, for example, they were discarded because they didn't pass the packet filter, or if, on platforms that support a read timeout that starts before any packets arrive, the timeout expires before any packets arrive, or if the file descriptor for the capture device is in non-blocking mode and no packets were available to be read) or if no more packets are available in a ``savefile.'' It returns -1 if an error occurs or -2 if the loop terminated due to a call to pcap_breakloop() before any packets were processed. If your application uses pcap_breakloop(), make sure that you explicitly check for -1 and -2, rather than just checking for a return value < 0. If -1 is returned, pcap_geterr() or pcap_perror() may be called with p as an argument to fetch or display the error text. SEE ALSO
pcap(3PCAP), pcap_geterr(3PCAP), pcap_breakloop(3PCAP) 24 December 2008 PCAP_LOOP(3PCAP)