Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using awk to read a specific line and a specific field on that line. Post 302543312 by Bungkai on Sunday 31st of July 2011 12:23:55 PM
Old 07-31-2011
Thanks, that worked perfectly

---------- Post updated 07-31-11 at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous update was 07-30-11 at 10:59 PM ----------

I have a new problem regarding reading a specific line and a specific field. But now I want to replace the first two fields. I tried this because it looked reasonable:

Code:
sed -i "s/$searchName\ $2/$name\ $lname/g" database.txt

John Wall 21 xf gdm

user input to change name: Peter Pan

output becomes

Peter PanWall

I got rid of John but I couldn't get rid of Wall.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append a character to the last but one field on a specific line?

Hi Guys, I have a file like this: aaa b c d e f fsss g h i k l qqq r t h n I want: aaa b c d e f fsss g h i k l qqq r t h , n ggg p t e d u qqq i o s , k (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing field in specific line in a file

Hi, I know there are lots of threads on replacing text within files, usually using sed or awk. However, I find it hard to adapt examples that I found to my specific case. I am kind of new to UNIX and have hard times learning the syntax either for sed or awk so I would appreciate any help. Here's... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vytenis
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting rows line by line from a specific column using Awk

Dear UNIX community, I would like to to count characters from a specific row and have them displayed line-by-line. I have a file called testAwk2.csv which contain the following data: rabbit penguin goat giraffe emu ostrich I would like to count in the middle row individually... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnayak
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific field on specific line sed or awk

I'm trying to update a text file via sed/awk, after a lot of searching I still can't find a code snippet that I can get to work. Brief overview: I have user input a line to a variable, I then find a specific value in this line 10th field in this case. After asking for new input and doing some... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: crownedzero
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update specific field in a line of text file

I have a text file like this: subject1:LecturerA:10 subject2:LecturerA:40 if I was given string in column 1 and 2 (which are subject 1 and LecturerA) , i need to update 3rd field of that line containing that given string , which is, number 10 need to be updated to 100 ,for example. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmtoan
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read particular line in file from specific column?

Hi...friends.... I want to create inventory...information for that I need to read some specific row say 2nd row from 1st 3 column and and write data with particular file used, I have some more column also but I need only 3 column data of first entry after header I attached sample file..those... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: nex_asp
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To read specific line from a file

Hi, I have a ldif file like below: version: 1 dn: cn=Test Group,ou=Applications,dc=xyz,dc=com objectClass: groupOfUniqueNames objectClass: top cn: Test Group uniqueMember: uid=abc,ou=People,o=xyz,o=Corporate,dc=xyz,dc=com dn: cn=Test Sub Group,cn=Test... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurau
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print with awk specific field different from specific character?

Hello, i need help with awk. I have this file: cat number DirB port 67 er_enc_out 0 er_bad_os 0 DirB port 71 er_enc_out 56 er_bad_os 0 DirB port 74 er_enc_out 0 er_bad_os 0 DirB port 75 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elilmal
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add specific string to last field of each line in perl based on value

I am trying to add a condition to the below perl that will capture the GTtag and place a specific string in the last field of each line. The problem is that the GT value used is not right after the tag rather it is a few fields away. The values should always be 0/1 or 1/2 and are in bold in the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine all matching fields in input but only print line with largest value in specific field

In the below I am trying to use awk to match all the $13 values in input, which is tab-delimited, that are in $1 of gene which is just a single column of text. However only the line with the greatest $9 value in input needs to be printed. So in the example below all the MECP2 and LTBP1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies
line(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           line(1)

NAME
line - read one line SYNOPSIS
line DESCRIPTION
The line utility copies one line (up to and including a new-line) from the standard input and writes it on the standard output. It returns an exit status of 1 on EOF and always prints at least a new-line. It is often used within shell files to read from the user's terminal. EXIT STATUS
Exit status is: 0 Successful completion >0 End-of-file on input. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), read(2), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 line(1)