Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using awk to read a specific line and a specific field on that line. Post 302543309 by Bungkai on Saturday 30th of July 2011 10:39:07 PM
Old 07-30-2011
what if I wanted to get the first two fields which are both strings and my search only consists of the first field?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append a character to the last but one field on a specific line?

Hi Guys, I have a file like this: aaa b c d e f fsss g h i k l qqq r t h n I want: aaa b c d e f fsss g h i k l qqq r t h , n ggg p t e d u qqq i o s , k (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing field in specific line in a file

Hi, I know there are lots of threads on replacing text within files, usually using sed or awk. However, I find it hard to adapt examples that I found to my specific case. I am kind of new to UNIX and have hard times learning the syntax either for sed or awk so I would appreciate any help. Here's... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vytenis
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting rows line by line from a specific column using Awk

Dear UNIX community, I would like to to count characters from a specific row and have them displayed line-by-line. I have a file called testAwk2.csv which contain the following data: rabbit penguin goat giraffe emu ostrich I would like to count in the middle row individually... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnayak
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific field on specific line sed or awk

I'm trying to update a text file via sed/awk, after a lot of searching I still can't find a code snippet that I can get to work. Brief overview: I have user input a line to a variable, I then find a specific value in this line 10th field in this case. After asking for new input and doing some... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: crownedzero
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update specific field in a line of text file

I have a text file like this: subject1:LecturerA:10 subject2:LecturerA:40 if I was given string in column 1 and 2 (which are subject 1 and LecturerA) , i need to update 3rd field of that line containing that given string , which is, number 10 need to be updated to 100 ,for example. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmtoan
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read particular line in file from specific column?

Hi...friends.... I want to create inventory...information for that I need to read some specific row say 2nd row from 1st 3 column and and write data with particular file used, I have some more column also but I need only 3 column data of first entry after header I attached sample file..those... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: nex_asp
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To read specific line from a file

Hi, I have a ldif file like below: version: 1 dn: cn=Test Group,ou=Applications,dc=xyz,dc=com objectClass: groupOfUniqueNames objectClass: top cn: Test Group uniqueMember: uid=abc,ou=People,o=xyz,o=Corporate,dc=xyz,dc=com dn: cn=Test Sub Group,cn=Test... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurau
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print with awk specific field different from specific character?

Hello, i need help with awk. I have this file: cat number DirB port 67 er_enc_out 0 er_bad_os 0 DirB port 71 er_enc_out 56 er_bad_os 0 DirB port 74 er_enc_out 0 er_bad_os 0 DirB port 75 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elilmal
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add specific string to last field of each line in perl based on value

I am trying to add a condition to the below perl that will capture the GTtag and place a specific string in the last field of each line. The problem is that the GT value used is not right after the tag rather it is a few fields away. The values should always be 0/1 or 1/2 and are in bold in the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine all matching fields in input but only print line with largest value in specific field

In the below I am trying to use awk to match all the $13 values in input, which is tab-delimited, that are in $1 of gene which is just a single column of text. However only the line with the greatest $9 value in input needs to be printed. So in the example below all the MECP2 and LTBP1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies
AUSEARCH_ADD_ITEM(3)						  Linux Audit API					      AUSEARCH_ADD_ITEM(3)

NAME
ausearch_add_item - build up search rule SYNOPSIS
#include <auparse.h> int ausearch_add_item(auparse_state_t *au, const char *field, const char *op, const char *value, ausearch_rule_t how); DESCRIPTION
ausearch_add_item adds one search condition to the current audit search expression. The search conditions can then be used to scan logs, files, or buffers for something of interest. The field value is the field name that the value will be checked for. The op variable describes what kind of check is to be done. Legal op values are: exists just check that a field name exists = locate the field name and check that the value associated with it is equal to the value given in this rule. != locate the field name and check that the value associated with it is NOT equal to the value given in this rule. The value parameter is compared to the uninterpreted field value. The how value determines how this search condition will affect the existing search expression if one is already defined. The possible val- ues are: AUSEARCH_RULE_CLEAR Clear the current search expression, if any, and use only this search condition. AUSEARCH_RULE_OR If a search expression E is already configured, replace it by (E || this_search_condition). AUSEARCH_RULE_AND If a search expression E is already configured, replace it by (E && this_search_condition). RETURN VALUE
Returns -1 if an error occurs; otherwise, 0 for success. SEE ALSO
ausearch_add_expression(3), ausearch_add_interpreted_item(3), ausearch_add_timestamp_item(3), ausearch_add_regex(3), ausearch_set_stop(3), ausearch_clear(3), ausearch_next_event(3), ausearch-expression(5). AUTHOR
Steve Grubb Red Hat Nov 2007 AUSEARCH_ADD_ITEM(3)