Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Adding grep'd results in a variable Post 302543049 by CougarMutt on Friday 29th of July 2011 09:09:07 AM
Old 07-29-2011
Adding grep'd results in a variable

Here is one I am baffled with; I have not used unix for a while and now that I am back it has been fun remembering and I have enjoyed it, for the most past. this is in ksh.

I need to search in a file for the line with X1 and cut columns 20-25, put them into a variable, added them (dollar amounts with no decimal), then display the answer in a new variable. Here is what ALMOST works.

num=`grep "^X1" filename|cut -c20-25`

What this does is display the variable ($num) as 000351 000656 001254 009558

The number of entries in the variable $num in dynamic. So, I guess what I need help with is adding the numbers in the variable $num. Any assistance will be thankful....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to refine results of grep -p

I need help to further reduce the output shown below. I want to be able to only return the paragraph where the 'Database alias' is exactly equal to DBIHP. I do not want the other paragraphs being shown below. $ echo $dbalias DBIHP $ db2 list db directory|grep -p 'Database alias ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: priceb
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List grep results

Hi I need to search for matching strings in a database and I want to print out all files that matches in "detail", which means that I want the output to contain datum of last saving. I only get the grep function tp print the actual file names which is not enough since the database is to large... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: slire
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep results to store in a shell variable

I have the results of a grep with -n store in a shell variable ie VAR=`grep -n -e 'PATTERN' file` How ever I am missing the line breaks in the variable , How do I store the resualts of grep with many lines in to a variables. I want the varable should be the sawmway as we do the grep grep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojan
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

putting grep -c results number in a variable

I want to display "no results found" if a grep search of a name that the user inputs is not found anywhere in a certain file, Right now I have this, but doesn't seem to work. Im not sure what to change. read name results=grep -c $name file if ; then echo "No results found." exit... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: busdude
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

doing a for loop adding up the results

Hi there If I run a 'swap -l' on my solaris box, i get swapfile dev swaplo blocks free /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s1 54,65 8 67119560 65655144 /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s2 54,65 8 33119522 32655122 I wanted to run a for loop adding up the totals of each column 4 , excluding the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding results of a find to an array

I'm trying to add the paths of all the xml files in certain directories to an array. I want to use the array later in my code. Anyway, for some reason this isn't working. Any help would be appreciated. Path_Counter=0 for result in "find * -name '*.xml'"; do XmlPath="$result" echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fly_Moe
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep no results

Hello guys, I have been looking around but can't find the answer to my problem: If the grep command displays no results, print "no results have been found" and increment x. But if the grep command find something, do nothing. if echo "no results have been found $x" x=`expr $x + 1 `... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Benou
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding previous results

Hi, I am trying to use awk to do the following: For a column: 5 3 4 2 7 I want to start with the first entry then add the second to the first, third to second ..etc: 5 8 12 14 21 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cosmologist
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Adding results up

Hi There Just created a .sql script and executes fine, it comes back with two lines of results, I was wondering is there a way of adding up the two results to get a round number. I tired wc -l but that didn't work. Many Thanks for your help psql -t -f... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpsa27
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to add a variable for the results from the formula of one variable and results of another var

Good morning all, This is the file name in question OD_Orders_2019-02-19.csv I am trying to create a bash script to read into files with yesterdays date on the file name while retaining the rest of the files name. I would like for $y to equal, the name of the file with a formula output with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ibrahim A
2 Replies
Num(3)								   OCaml library							    Num(3)

NAME
Num - Operation on arbitrary-precision numbers. Module Module Num Documentation Module Num : sig end Operation on arbitrary-precision numbers. Numbers (type num ) are arbitrary-precision rational numbers, plus the special elements 1/0 (infinity) and 0/0 (undefined). type num = | Int of int | Big_int of Big_int.big_int | Ratio of Ratio.ratio The type of numbers. === Arithmetic operations === val (+/) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.add_num . val add_num : num -> num -> num Addition val minus_num : num -> num Unary negation. val (-/) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.sub_num . val sub_num : num -> num -> num Subtraction val ( */ ) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.mult_num . val mult_num : num -> num -> num Multiplication val square_num : num -> num Squaring val (//) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.div_num . val div_num : num -> num -> num Division val quo_num : num -> num -> num Euclidean division: quotient. val mod_num : num -> num -> num Euclidean division: remainder. val ( **/ ) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.power_num . val power_num : num -> num -> num Exponentiation val abs_num : num -> num Absolute value. val succ_num : num -> num succ n is n+1 val pred_num : num -> num pred n is n-1 val incr_num : num Pervasives.ref -> unit incr r is r:=!r+1 , where r is a reference to a number. val decr_num : num Pervasives.ref -> unit decr r is r:=!r-1 , where r is a reference to a number. val is_integer_num : num -> bool Test if a number is an integer === The four following functions approximate a number by an integer : === val integer_num : num -> num integer_num n returns the integer closest to n . In case of ties, rounds towards zero. val floor_num : num -> num floor_num n returns the largest integer smaller or equal to n . val round_num : num -> num round_num n returns the integer closest to n . In case of ties, rounds off zero. val ceiling_num : num -> num ceiling_num n returns the smallest integer bigger or equal to n . val sign_num : num -> int Return -1 , 0 or 1 according to the sign of the argument. === Comparisons between numbers === val (=/) : num -> num -> bool val (</) : num -> num -> bool val (>/) : num -> num -> bool val (<=/) : num -> num -> bool val (>=/) : num -> num -> bool val (<>/) : num -> num -> bool val eq_num : num -> num -> bool val lt_num : num -> num -> bool val le_num : num -> num -> bool val gt_num : num -> num -> bool val ge_num : num -> num -> bool val compare_num : num -> num -> int Return -1 , 0 or 1 if the first argument is less than, equal to, or greater than the second argument. val max_num : num -> num -> num Return the greater of the two arguments. val min_num : num -> num -> num Return the smaller of the two arguments. === Coercions with strings === val string_of_num : num -> string Convert a number to a string, using fractional notation. val approx_num_fix : int -> num -> string See Num.approx_num_exp . val approx_num_exp : int -> num -> string Approximate a number by a decimal. The first argument is the required precision. The second argument is the number to approximate. Num.approx_num_fix uses decimal notation; the first argument is the number of digits after the decimal point. approx_num_exp uses scien- tific (exponential) notation; the first argument is the number of digits in the mantissa. val num_of_string : string -> num Convert a string to a number. Raise Failure num_of_string if the given string is not a valid representation of an integer === Coercions between numerical types === val int_of_num : num -> int val num_of_int : int -> num val nat_of_num : num -> Nat.nat val num_of_nat : Nat.nat -> num val num_of_big_int : Big_int.big_int -> num val big_int_of_num : num -> Big_int.big_int val ratio_of_num : num -> Ratio.ratio val num_of_ratio : Ratio.ratio -> num val float_of_num : num -> float OCamldoc 2014-06-09 Num(3)