Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get character position within variable Post 302543041 by yazu on Friday 29th of July 2011 08:53:13 AM
Old 07-29-2011
Code:
echo 1234_v2_abcd | perl -lne 'print(index($_, "_v")+2)'

Or if +3 if you count position from 1.
This User Gave Thanks to yazu For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Character position

Hi , I am required to view the fixed postion file very often . I am looking for the utility like this if the file has a one or multile line abcdefghijklmnopqr Utility should make my file look like this 12345678910111213141516-------------------------- abcdefghijk l m n o p q r ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: akrathi
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Counting position of a character

Hi All, I have a file of the format : idsfskjvfdznvdfjvh ierwjfkncmvlkmc xszkmdvnosndzjndf weuhrndzierfncv rndsjnsllshens iernzkfndslkdhf zkinewfinfvlkmvd I wish to count the occurrences of character 'z' in the file. I also need to find out the position of 'z' in various lines. and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rochitsharma
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to split a value according to character position

Hello all, I have a script which picks up a series of large numbers, each of which are actually amalgamations of a series of other numbers. Unfortunately there are no separator characters so I can't use awk -F. I am looking for a way of splitting them into variables according to their... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaeltravisuk
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

URG!! Last position of a character

Hi. If I have files with names like abcd.20080625.1234.abc.XYZ abcd.20080625.1234.abc.XYZW how can I get the XYZ or XYZW part? is there something like an Index() function but in reverse order? I was thinking that if I can get the position of the last dot... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrodrig
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert character in particular position.

I want to insert space in 7th position of all the lines usign vi editor or sed command Input file 12345689010 abcdefghijk . . Output file 123456 89010 abcdef ghijk . . (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jairaj
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify the position of character

Hi, Can some one guide me to identify the position of a character using index in UNIX. I have a record like "17/11/2010 15:16:39;reject;10.44.48.65;daemon alert; src: 10.44.48.112; dst: 172.21.52.88" . I need to identify the value which comes after _src:_ (_ denotes space). I am able to... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: suneel.mekala
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

position of character in a line

i want to find the position of a character in a line , the first position, last, 5th occurence position , i ve tried grep -n , and expr index but they dont fit the bill. Please let me know if there is any other alternative (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpsnook
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find character and Replace character for given position

Hi, i want find the character '-' in a file from position 284-298, if it occurs i need to replace it with 'O ' for the position in the file. How to do that using SED command. thanks in advance, Sara (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara183
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying character at certain position

So I'm iterating through a series of strings and I want to pick out a character in a certain position so if I have the string abcde asigned to the variable $B. Let $i=2, then I'd like it to asign the variable $a=b similarly, if $i=3 then $a=c The only things I can think of work with cut,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: viored
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies
delch(3cur)															       delch(3cur)

Name
       delch, mvdelch, mvwdelch, wdelch - remove character from window

Syntax
       #include <cursesX.h>

int delch()

int wdelch(win)
       WINDOW *win;

int mvdelch(y, x)
       int y, x;

int mvwdelch(win, y, x)
       WINDOW *win;
       int y, x;

Description
       The  routine  deletes  the character under the cursor in the default window.  All characters to the right on the same line are moved to the
       left one position and the last character on the line is filled with a blank.  The cursor position does not change.

The routine deletes the character under the cursor in the specified window.  All characters to the right on the same line are moved to  the
       left one position and the last character on the line is filled with a blank.  The cursor position does not change.

The  routine moves the cursor to the specified position in the default window.  The character found at this location is deleted.  All char-
       acters to the right on the same line are moved to the left one position and the last character on the line is filled  with  a  blank.   The
       cursor position does not change.

The  routine  moves  the  cursor  to the specified position in the specified window.  The character found at this location is deleted.  All
       characters to the right on the same line are moved to the left one position and the last character on the line is filled with a blank.  The
       cursor position does not change.

The routines and are macros.

Return Values
       The and functions return OK on success and ERR on error.

delch(3cur)