Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading a file after nth line Post 302543033 by panyam on Friday 29th of July 2011 08:24:22 AM
Old 07-29-2011
If you want to do some "processing" on lines read after "timestamp" occured,

Code:

sed -ne '/'"${timestamp}"'/,$p' yourfile | while read line 
do
## do processing
done

Last edited by panyam; 07-29-2011 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: Changed as per requirement
This User Gave Thanks to panyam For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

displaying nth line of a file dynamically

Hi, I have a file split.txt with the following contents one two three four five Suppose if i want to display contents of line 3, I know this could be achieved using the command sed -n '3p' split.txt But I need the line number to be decided dynamically like a=3 sed -n '$ap'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deanamrita
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find third(nth) word in all line from a file

For example i'm having the below contents in a file: expr is great when you want to split a string into just two parts. The .* also makes expr good for skipping a variable number of words when you don't know how many words a string will have. But expr is lousy for getting, say, the fourth word... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bangarukannan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to start reading from the nth line till the last line of a file.

Hi, For my reuirement, I have to read a file from the 2nd line till the last line<EOF>. Say, I have a file as test.txt, which as a header record in the first line followed by records in rest of the lines. for i in `cat test.txt` { echo $i } While doing the above loop, I have read... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating average for every Nth line in the Nth column

Is there an awk script that can easily perform the following operation? I have a data file that is in the format of 1944-12,5.6 1945-01,9.8 1945-02,6.7 1945-03,9.3 1945-04,5.9 1945-05,0.7 1945-06,0.0 1945-07,0.0 1945-08,0.0 1945-09,0.0 1945-10,0.2 1945-11,10.5 1945-12,22.3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the nth word of mth line in a file

Hi.. May be a simple question but I just began to write unix scripts a week ago, for sorting some huge amount of experiment data, so I got no common sense about unix scripting and really need your helps... The situation is, I want to read the nth word of mth line in a file, and then store it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: freezelty
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a file from the nth line on

I have a script which reads from a job file and executed the scripts in the job file in sequence. #! /bin/ksh set -x while read line do $line.ksh if # mail the team fi done <"$file" The job file will be like abcd efgh ijkl mnop qrst This is working fine. I need to add... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nw2unx123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print nth line in a file

Bash/Oracle Linux 6.4 A basic requirement. How can I get nth line of a file printed ? Can I use grep in this case ? Example: In the below file, 12th line is "Kernel parameter check passed for rmem_max" . I just want the 12 line to be printed. # cat sometext.txt Kernel version check... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert a line of text on nth line of a file

Hi All, I am using UNix Sun OS sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise My intention is to insert a line of text after 13th line of every file inside a particular directory. While trying to do it for a single file , i am using sed sed '3 i this is the 4th line' filename sed: command garbled: 3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotamp
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing string from last field of the nth line of file to start (or end) of each line (awk I think)

My file (the output of an experiment) starts off looking like this, _____________________________________________________________ Subjects incorporated to date: 001 Data file started on machine PKSHS260-05CP ********************************************************************** Subject 1,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: samonl
9 Replies
TIME_SLEEP_UNTIL(3)							 1						       TIME_SLEEP_UNTIL(3)

time_sleep_until - Make the script sleep until the specified time

SYNOPSIS
bool time_sleep_until (float $timestamp) DESCRIPTION
Makes the script sleep until the specified $timestamp. PARAMETERS
o $timestamp - The timestamp when the script should wake. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | This function is now available on Windows plat- | | | forms. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS If the specified $timestamp is in the past, this function will generate a E_WARNING. EXAMPLES
Example #1 A time_sleep_until(3) example <?php //returns false and generates a warning var_dump(time_sleep_until(time()-1)); // may only work on faster computers, will sleep up to 0.2 seconds var_dump(time_sleep_until(microtime(true)+0.2)); ?> NOTES
Note All signals will be delivered after the script wakes up. SEE ALSO
sleep(3), usleep(3), time_nanosleep(3), set_time_limit(3). PHP Documentation Group TIME_SLEEP_UNTIL(3)