Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Macros how-to?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Macros how-to? Post 302542887 by trento17 on Friday 29th of July 2011 01:13:59 AM
Old 07-29-2011
Macros how-to?

Hi, all
I just came to new system with RH, and it has alot of macros I was told to use, but I can't find how to open it for display or for edit, can you help me please, is it all about make/makefile?
let say I have macro <trx> like this, that does a lot of things:

>$ trx
... creating new service tree
... done
... cleaning log files
... done
.>$

I've checked www on make, but bit confusing to start with, can anybody give small sample how it works.
How to dig it up?

Thanks
M

Last edited by trento17; 07-29-2011 at 02:20 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

troff macros

Hi, I'm going write a small handbook. The typesetting software I'm going to use is troff. There are -ms -me -mm macros for troff. Which one is the most suitable? Thanks! -Tony (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonyt
2 Replies

2. Programming

Macros expanded output of c files

Hi, I want to just expand the macros in a set of c files from a filelist which are in different directories. I don't want the header files included in the c file to be expanded. I have a perl script which does gcc -E <infile> -I <path to search for header files> -imacros <infile> But in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spsenthil
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

saving macros for VIM

The question is , as the topic says, how does one save macros for VIM in the .vimrc. I had a look on web and it gave all this ****** about how to build turing machines in vim code or something but i just want to store a macro to like : if(){ } I know how to do it IN vim but .vimrc??????!?!?!... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yngwie
3 Replies

4. Programming

How do capability macros get named?

The following is taken from some production code: #ifdef LOCK_LOCKF #ifdef HAVE_SYS_FILE_H #include <sys/lockf.h> #endif #ifdef HAVE_SYS_FILE_H #include <sys/file.h> #endif #define LOCK(file) fseek(file, 0L, 0), lockf(file, 1, 0L) #define UNLOCK(file) fseek(file, 0L, 0),... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frequency8
2 Replies

5. Programming

One last question about capability macros

This might be poorly worded. In the header file, I have #ifdef LOCK_FCNTL #ifdef HAVE_FCNTL_H #include <fcntl.h> #endif #define LOCK(file) setlock(fileno(file), F_WRLCK); #define UNLOCK(file) setlock(fileno(file), F_UNLCK); #endif /* LOCK_FCNTL */ #ifdef LOCK_FLOCK #ifdef... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frequency8
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect Terminal Macros

Hey people! I just started out working at an ISP as tech support and thought that I should ease the work load by scripting some small macros. I create different commands with Alias through .bashrc which are all directed to the same script file. Here I planned on using Expect to run different... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: GhettoFish
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MAKE and its macros and variables

I want to build a Makefile that simply takes a template file and modifies it (sed or perl, probably) before installing the result in the right place - my problem is creating the variable for substitution... So I have SYSTEM = SYS1 SYS2 SYS1_CHANNELS = CHANNEL1 CHANNEL2 CHANNEL4... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JerryHone
1 Replies

8. Linux

What are the meaning of these macros..

Masters, I am trying to learn the serial mouse driver for linux kernel. On the kernel source tree I find out these macros and I am unable to find out the meaning of these macros. Please anyone help me to understand these. These macros are defined in linux/serio.h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamjayanth
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Using Macros in sftp command

Hi, I've some existing scripts wherein am using ftp + .netrc. I've defined my macros in .netrc file. I want to switch to sftp now but it seems it doesn't support macros and .netrc and it gives "command invalid" error. Is there any other alternative? Note: I don't want help for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ps51517
1 Replies

10. Programming

help with atoi and macros in C

I have a PORT_NUM macro (10 digits long number) in a server file, if i do htons(PORT_NUM) i get warning: this decimal constant is unsigned only in ISO C90 warning: large integer implicitly truncated to unsigned type whats wrong with this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
2 Replies
MAKE(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   MAKE(1)

NAME
make - maintain program groups SYNOPSIS
make [ -f makefile ] [ option ] ... file ... DESCRIPTION
Make executes commands in makefile to update one or more target names. Name is typically a program. If no -f option is present, `make- file' and `Makefile' are tried in order. If makefile is `-', the standard input is taken. More than one -f option may appear Make updates a target if it depends on prerequisite files that have been modified since the target was last modified, or if the target does not exist. Makefile contains a sequence of entries that specify dependencies. The first line of an entry is a blank-separated list of targets, then a colon, then a list of prerequisite files. Text following a semicolon, and all following lines that begin with a tab, are shell commands to be executed to update the target. Sharp and newline surround comments. The following makefile says that `pgm' depends on two files `a.o' and `b.o', and that they in turn depend on `.c' files and a common file `incl'. pgm: a.o b.o cc a.o b.o -lm -o pgm a.o: incl a.c cc -c a.c b.o: incl b.c cc -c b.c Makefile entries of the form string1 = string2 are macro definitions. Subsequent appearances of $(string1) are replaced by string2. If string1 is a single character, the parentheses are optional. Make infers prerequisites for files for which makefile gives no construction commands. For example, a `.c' file may be inferred as prereq- uisite for a `.o' file and be compiled to produce the `.o' file. Thus the preceding example can be done more briefly: pgm: a.o b.o cc a.o b.o -lm -o pgm a.o b.o: incl Prerequisites are inferred according to selected suffixes listed as the `prerequisites' for the special name `.SUFFIXES'; multiple lists accumulate; an empty list clears what came before. Order is significant; the first possible name for which both a file and a rule as described in the next paragraph exist is inferred. The default list is .SUFFIXES: .out .o .c .e .r .f .y .l .s The rule to create a file with suffix s2 that depends on a similarly named file with suffix s1 is specified as an entry for the `target' s1s2. In such an entry, the special macro $* stands for the target name with suffix deleted, $@ for the full target name, $< for the com- plete list of prerequisites, and $? for the list of prerequisites that are out of date. For example, a rule for making optimized `.o' files from `.c' files is .c.o: ; cc -c -O -o $@ $*.c Certain macros are used by the default inference rules to communicate optional arguments to any resulting compilations. In particular, `CFLAGS' is used for cc and f77(1) options, `LFLAGS' and `YFLAGS' for lex and yacc(1) options. Command lines are executed one at a time, each by its own shell. A line is printed when it is executed unless the special target `.SILENT' is in makefile, or the first character of the command is `@'. Commands returning nonzero status (see intro(1)) cause make to terminate unless the special target `.IGNORE' is in makefile or the command begins with <tab><hyphen>. Interrupt and quit cause the target to be deleted unless the target depends on the special name `.PRECIOUS'. Other options: -i Equivalent to the special entry `.IGNORE:'. -k When a command returns nonzero status, abandon work on the current entry, but continue on branches that do not depend on the current entry. -n Trace and print, but do not execute the commands needed to update the targets. -t Touch, i.e. update the modified date of targets, without executing any commands. -r Equivalent to an initial special entry `.SUFFIXES:' with no list. -s Equivalent to the special entry `.SILENT:'. FILES
makefile, Makefile SEE ALSO
sh(1), touch(1) S. I. Feldman Make - A Program for Maintaining Computer Programs BUGS
Some commands return nonzero status inappropriately. Use -i to overcome the difficulty. Commands that are directly executed by the shell, notably cd(1), are ineffectual across newlines in make. MAKE(1)