Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK How to replace a field using 2 shell variables? Post 302542845 by danmero on Thursday 28th of July 2011 08:05:22 PM
Old 07-28-2011
Code:
# cat file
F       0
B       A
H       -12.33
# SEARCHVAR=B
# NEWVAL=10
# awk -vSEARCHVAR="$SEARCHVAR" -vNEWVAL="$NEWVAL" '$1==SEARCHVAR{$2=NEWVAL}1' OFS=\\t file
F       0
B       10
H       -12.33

If that's what you want , you don't need to parse the file twice.
This User Gave Thanks to danmero For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace using awk with variables

Hi, I have been trying to use awk with variables that needs to search for a pattern and replace it with another pattern, the patterns are supplied in a variable. I have tried several different ways without success and hope that someone can help me. Here are the details echo $UPC 07007457809... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to replace particular field

i have bad data for instance, the use of capital letters in the middle of the word. I identified the errors, made a list and put it in a file error_correction.txt Incorrect,Correct VeNOM,Venom nos,NOS . . . My data file looks like this: vgr,bugatti veron,,3.5,Venom,6,.......,....... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: VGR
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to replace a field

Hi I am using awk to replace the 4th feild of the input line. My code is below: REP_LINE=$(echo $Line | awk -v var=$REPL_DT '{$4=var; print}') It does replaces but all words/phrases after the 4th feild are erased. Is there a way to modify the 4th feild of the input line and to have all... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sugan
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search and replace field

I am writing a c++ program that has many calls of pow(input,2). I now realize that this is slowing down the program and these all should be input * input for greater speed. There should be a simple way of doing this replacement throughout my file with awk, but I am not very familiar with awk.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluejayek
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk how to replace specific field with new value

I need to replace specific field (x) in a table with new value (y): Input: 1 2 3 4 5 x 6 7 8 9 0 0 Output: 1 2 3 4 5 y 6 7 8 9 0 0 I have no idea how to do this. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: setepo
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search/replace specific field, using variables for regexp & subsitution then overwrite file

Hello, I'm trying the solve the following problem. I have a file which I intend to use as a csv called master.csv The columns are separated by commas. I want to change the text on a specific row in either column 3,4,5 or 6 from xxx to yyy depending upon if column 1 matches a specified pattern.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyphex
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK replace one field

I have some problem with this. Need to change field #3 to 5 if field #1 = A and filed #2 =B DataA C 6 T C B 4 R A B 3 T D E 5 4 I would like to do two things if statement is true, but can not get it to work. Here it prints column #3 if statement is true, and this works awk '{if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Match First Field and Replace Second Column

Hi Friends, I have looked around the forums and over online but couldn't figure out how to deal with this problem input.txt gene1,axis1/0/1,axis2/0/1 gene1,axis1/1/2,axis2/1/2 gene1,axis1/2/3,axis2/2/3 gene2,axis1/3/4,axis2/3/4 Match on first column and if first column is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to replace a specific field in certain condition

Hi, I have a file like below PRUM,67016800 ,CC ,C1,67016800 , ,Y,Y,2 ,CK,BX,FOX ,00000001,EA,00000001,20141120 00:00:00, ,N,Y,Y,CK ABCDEF... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to assign points to variables based on conditions and update specific field

I have been reading old posts and trying to come up with a solution for the below: Use a tab-delimited input file to assign point to variables that are used to update a specific field, Rank. I really couldn't find too much in the way of assigning points to variable, but made an attempt at an awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)