Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ulimit -n for specific process Post 302542742 by Corona688 on Thursday 28th of July 2011 12:18:24 PM
Old 07-28-2011
As far as I know you can't change the ulimit for a process that already exists from the outside. It'd be nice if there was a command like renice for memory...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing specific process

Hello, I need to create a process that will kill a specific process if it's running. Let's just say the process is called win, actually called something else. It could be running multiple times on the machine and I would want to kill them all. Below is the code I have written so far, and it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: benefactr
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ulimit and 64 bits process

as we know, ulimit can be used to limit the stack and heap size of a process occupy. However, the space for 32-bits and 64 bits process are different. for example, "ulimit -s xxxx" only limit the stack size of 32- bits process, am I right? How to limit the size of 64-bits process? thanks a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tommy_cs
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting unix stats for a specific process

Hi, We are trying to run reports to determine what percentage of the physical cpu's are being used by Informix ( oninit ) processes on an Aix5.3 box. Is there any way to do that ? Sar just captures percentages but not by process name Topas allows us to see some of the processes, but even those... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fwellers
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

top output for a specific process to a file

Hi, I have the following script, and it is driving me nuts. It just hangs, I've tried all kinds of tricks, but it won't work. I know it can, it is pretty straight forward. It hangs when it tries to output $X Any help appreciated! #!/bin/bash set -o xtrace command="top -b"... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bloke
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to kill the specific process

Hi I have the process to kill regulary, but the PSID is dymatic change and not sure how to kill the specific process ID Check the tradekast_rvd is running , if such process, kill the els process id ps -e f |grep tradekast_rvd ps -ef |grep els then I kill els process id ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux_user
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for a specific process running or not in Unix

I have used ps -ef | grep <process name> to see if the process is still running or not. But, not being able to find anything in particular. Any clue on this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Haimanti
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with kill a specific process after certain running time

Hi, Do anybody experience to write a bash script in order to kill a specific process (java) after certain time of running? eg. java java.jar task_run.txt I will run a java program (java.jar) which will run a long list of process (task_run.txt) one by one. I plan to terminate the java... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
5 Replies

8. HP-UX

How to extract data for a specific process from ovpa?

Hi Friends, One question. Supposed I want to extract data only for process named "sqlplus" how can I do it. Any suggestions? I don't want all the data as it is not useful to me e.g.. Command I use is given below extract -xp -p -r repfile -b"03/15/13 7:00 PM" -e"03/15/13 09:30 PM" -f... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kunwar
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Watchdog for a specific process trigger another process

Hi, I am willing to build a script that does a "ps-ef" or "top" on a specific process, and if it finds it running to start another process. Any suggestions to do this in a optimized way? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liviusbr
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep a specific process name

Hello, I want to grep a specific process named "TEST" in AIX but not only is it showing what I want but also listing others that have the similar name. How can I only list "TEST"? I've tried using options grep -w with no change and grep -o isn't supported in my environment. Please advise. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
6 Replies
RENICE(1)                                                          User Commands                                                         RENICE(1)

NAME
renice - alter priority of running processes SYNOPSIS
renice [-n] priority [-g|-p|-u] identifier... DESCRIPTION
renice alters the scheduling priority of one or more running processes. The first argument is the priority value to be used. The other arguments are interpreted as process IDs (by default), process group IDs, user IDs, or user names. renice'ing a process group causes all processes in the process group to have their scheduling priority altered. renice'ing a user causes all processes owned by the user to have their scheduling priority altered. OPTIONS
-n, --priority priority Specify the scheduling priority to be used for the process, process group, or user. Use of the option -n or --priority is optional, but when used it must be the first argument. -g, --pgrp Interpret the succeeding arguments as process group IDs. -p, --pid Interpret the succeeding arguments as process IDs (the default). -u, --user Interpret the succeeding arguments as usernames or UIDs. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
The following command would change the priority of the processes with PIDs 987 and 32, plus all processes owned by the users daemon and root: renice +1 987 -u daemon root -p 32 NOTES
Users other than the superuser may only alter the priority of processes they own. Furthermore, an unprivileged user can only increase the ``nice value'' (i.e., choose a lower priority) and such changes are irreversible unless (since Linux 2.6.12) the user has a suitable ``nice'' resource limit (see ulimit(1) and getrlimit(2)). The superuser may alter the priority of any process and set the priority to any value in the range -20 to 19. Useful priorities are: 19 (the affected processes will run only when nothing else in the system wants to), 0 (the ``base'' scheduling priority), anything negative (to make things go very fast). FILES
/etc/passwd to map user names to user IDs SEE ALSO
nice(1), getpriority(2), setpriority(2), credentials(7), sched(7) HISTORY
The renice command appeared in 4.0BSD. AVAILABILITY
The renice command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux July 2014 RENICE(1)