Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Running set options from the command line and bash command Post 302542719 by Corona688 on Thursday 28th of July 2011 11:27:04 AM
Old 07-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straitsfan
set -v testscript
set works inside a shell, it doesn't change options for another shell, or options for a program which hasn't even been run yet.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Executing command line options

Can someone please tell me how to modify/add to this code so that it recognizes UNIX command options (all beginning with "-") and executes the command with options? #include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> int main(int argc, char *argv) { int i; system("stty -echo"); ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Safia
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Associated array from command line options

I am looking to populate an (associated) array with a command line argument. The command line would look something like this: alert -action test -priority '10' -module test_module . . . The associated array would look like this after the data is read in flag=(action=test priority=10... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jperret
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to? launch command with string of command line options

my description from another thread... here's my code: #!/bin/bash IFS=$'\n' function OutputName() { input=$1 echo $input input=`echo "$input" | sed -e 's/.//'` input=`echo "$input".avi` output_name=$input } if ]; then echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TinCanFury
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using perl to get options from command line

Hi all, I want to get options from command line by perl. usage() options: -h Show this help message and exit -t Name of tester --timeout Set the timeout -l ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Damon_Qu
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script file command line options

Being new to awk I have a really basic question. It just has to be in the archives but it didn't bite me when I went looking for it. I've written an awk script, placed it in a file, added the "#!/usr/bin/awk -f" at the top of the script and away I go. "% myAwk <inputfile>" gives me exactly what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomr2k
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading command line options from bash script

I have the following code and I am calling it using ./raytrac.bash -u and getting problems. For some reason opt_usage is still 0. opt_usage=0 iarg=0 narg=$# while (($iarg < $narg)) do (( iarg = $iarg + 1 )) arg=$argv usrInputFlag=`echo $arg | awk '/=/ {print 1}; ! /=/... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
22 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display full command (including options) information in running

Suppose I am a Unix user, not a root. I can see all commands in running by ps -elf, or some similar commands. Such commands may be submit by other Unix users. Is there a way that I can display those commands with their full parameters/options. For example, I can see a user is running "ls"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: happy_lotus
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing Multiple Arguments in Command Line Options

Hi All, I am new to scripting. Could you please assist me . Here is my requirement. I have written a script that has 2 option flags defined. -l) calls some function with the arguments passed in front of -l -r) calls second function with the arguments passed in front of -r *) calls the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jay Deshpande
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing new options to a running command

I was just wondering if there is a way to pass an new option or argument to an already running command or program. Let us say you run "zenity --list <options>" and you like to add a title or change the title you used on it while it is already running, is it possible to do that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cryogrid
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Another one line command where I'd like to determine if Ubuntu or Red Hat when running command

Hello Forum, I'm making very good progress on my report thanks to the very helpful people on this forum. I've been able to successfully create my report for my Red Hat servers. But I do have a few ubuntu servers in the mix and I'd like to capture some data from them when an ssh connection is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: greavette
8 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)