Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting $1 argument not being recognized Post 302542708 by Feliz on Thursday 28th of July 2011 11:06:36 AM
Old 07-28-2011
Thanks, Skrynesaver, for your quick reply - I didn't see your post before I sent the Additional info post...

I tried to pass the $1 into the function and it gives me a syntax error:
+30
+31 chk_date($1)

Code:
[doruatt01pu]/RRPS/devel/ora/mig: migmstr.sh_fc 06/28/2011
migmstr.sh_fc[31]: syntax error at line 31 : `(' unexpected

---------- Post updated at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:03 AM ----------

Thanks, Radoulov -- that DOES work!

Learned something new -- thank you both!

Last edited by radoulov; 07-28-2011 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: Code tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Argument not recognized as integer

I need to accept a number of arguments at command line and print it in reverse order i use eval `echo x=$1` to capture the argument #! /bin/sh counter=0 while do eval `echo x=$1` arg$counter=$x counter=`expr $counter + 1` shift done but the error keeps... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scmay
1 Replies

2. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

I am not being recognized

Hi Admin, My user id is "chanakyahere", i forgot my password. When i give my mail id "chanakyahere@gmail.com" it is not being accepting by webmaster. But to the same mail id i got reply to one of my questions. The same mail id i gave while registering in this site. This i can confirm as... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Help
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the last argument in a argument line?

How to find the last argument in a argument line? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehagupta2008
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

get positive number n as argument script must calculate the factorial of its argument

Can someone please help me with this SHELL script? I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must calculate the factorial of its argument. In other words, it must calculate n!=1x2x3x...xn. Note that 0!=1. Here is a start but I have no clue how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
3 Replies

5. Solaris

New volume set not recognized

Good evening, I am fairly (re)new to Solaris 10. In fact I was even quite good at it, but that was about 10 years ago, so now I am back to beginner status :) I installed a new machine with an internal 16port RAID attached to an Areca 1260 controller. Also attached is an external SCSI-Raid. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: PatrickBaer
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File not recognized when passed as argument

I have the below script in file read_file.ksh if ] || ] then echo "Required one input file" echo "Enter a file to get char count:" read $FILE_NAME if ] then echo "valid file" else echo "Not a valid file." fi When run as read_file.ksh detail.csv or... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaelrozar17
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot compare argument in if statement in csh/grep command if argument starts with “-“

If ($argv == “-debug”) then Echo “in loop” Endif But this is not working. If I modify this code and remove “-“, then it works. Similarly I am getting problem using grep command also Grep “-debug” Filename Can someone please help me on how to resolve these... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Second parameter is not recognized

Hey I have a problem with my script. I writing a script which can depend whether you want to make a file or a directory. I only give the code where you can find the problem. My loop doesn't stop and I don't know why and when i echo my second parameter , he echoes nothing :s Thnx ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Eclecticaa
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alias not recognized within script

What would cause a script to work under one user account and not another? Here's an example of what I'm referring to. Here's a simple script. Let's put it in a file called “thescript”. #! /bin/bash alias a='echo hello world' a Here are the results when this script is executed logged in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sszd
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error:--test: argument expected--Even though i give an argument.

Hi All, I am running the script VBoxManage list vms |sed 's/"//g' | cut -d " " -f1 > har1out.mytxt result=`cat har1out.mytxt | grep $1' echo $result echo $1 { if then echo pass else echo fail fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha85
2 Replies
GIT-SH-SETUP(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-SH-SETUP(1)

NAME
git-sh-setup - Common git shell script setup code SYNOPSIS
. "$(git --exec-path)/git-sh-setup" DESCRIPTION
This is not a command the end user would want to run. Ever. This documentation is meant for people who are studying the Porcelain-ish scripts and/or are writing new ones. The git sh-setup scriptlet is designed to be sourced (using .) by other shell scripts to set up some variables pointing at the normal git directories and a few helper shell functions. Before sourcing it, your script should set up a few variables; USAGE (and LONG_USAGE, if any) is used to define message given by usage() shell function. SUBDIRECTORY_OK can be set if the script can run from a subdirectory of the working tree (some commands do not). The scriptlet sets GIT_DIR and GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY shell variables, but does not export them to the environment. FUNCTIONS
die exit after emitting the supplied error message to the standard error stream. usage die with the usage message. set_reflog_action set the message that will be recorded to describe the end-user action in the reflog, when the script updates a ref. git_editor runs an editor of user's choice (GIT_EDITOR, core.editor, VISUAL or EDITOR) on a given file, but error out if no editor is specified and the terminal is dumb. is_bare_repository outputs true or false to the standard output stream to indicate if the repository is a bare repository (i.e. without an associated working tree). cd_to_toplevel runs chdir to the toplevel of the working tree. require_work_tree checks if the current directory is within the working tree of the repository, and otherwise dies. require_work_tree_exists checks if the working tree associated with the repository exists, and otherwise dies. Often done before calling cd_to_toplevel, which is impossible to do if there is no working tree. require_clean_work_tree <action> [<hint>] checks that the working tree and index associated with the repository have no uncommitted changes to tracked files. Otherwise it emits an error message of the form Cannot <action>: <reason>. <hint>, and dies. Example: require_clean_work_tree rebase "Please commit or stash them." get_author_ident_from_commit outputs code for use with eval to set the GIT_AUTHOR_NAME, GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL and GIT_AUTHOR_DATE variables for a given commit. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-SH-SETUP(1)