Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting copying the files in vi editor Post 302542697 by yazu on Thursday 28th of July 2011 10:44:07 AM
Old 07-28-2011
If you can't use mail or other tools to send a file from a server or use ssh (or other tools) to copy it to your local system (why?) the only way is to copy and paste. You can use "tail -n+700 YOURLOG| head -n200" and copy the content from the putty window.
You execute vi on the server and all buffers are on this server. You can't extract them in any way to your system IMO.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files

I like to know the command structure of copying files/directories from a unix box using telnet session to a windows box. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpheusm
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Copying Files and

I am new user to solaris and installed solaris operating system on full Harddisk 120Gb. I am unable to copy music files to desktop and /home directory. One thing happened while registering is- i entered login-root and its password. The message prompted your system is crashed. Is it because of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patilmukundraj
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Copying Files

Hi, I understand that to copy files across server, the feasible way will be using scp command. Am I right? What if the two servers are not connected to a network? If by using a cross cable to link up both the server, what will be the best (fastest) way to copy files across? scp as well? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user50210
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files search in vi editor

Hi All, Apologise if I am in the wrong forum, I am trying to view all files one by one in the vi editor that contain a pattern. This command work but not sure where to pipe it to use vi editor find . -name "pattern" -print | xargs -ltr tnx in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lingosa
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copying of files by userB, dir & files owned by userA

I am userB and have a dir /temp1 This dir is owned by me. How do I recursively copy files from another users's dir userA? I need to preserve the original user who created files, original group information, original create date, mod date etc. I tried cp -pr /home/userA/* . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying a line from one file to other using vi editor

Hi Guys, the command ":yy" copies the line but it can be pasted in the same file. How can it be done if I want to copy it in other file. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajincoep
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying Files

Hi All, I'm trying to list some files from my log directory and files are like this log.20110302_20.gz log.20110302_21.gz log.20110302_22.gz log.20110302_23.gz log.20110303_00.gz log.20110303_01.gz log.20110303_02.gz ............ log.20110311_22.gz log.20110311_23.gz... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Files copying - [ Listed files alone. ] - Shell script

Hi All, I am doing this for svn patch making. I got the list of files to make the patch. I have the list in a file with path of all the files. To Do From Directory : /myproject/MainDir To Directory : /myproject/data List of files need to copy is in the file: /myproject/filesList.txt ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files

All, I need to grab and rename common files from several unique directory structures. For example, the directory structures looks like: /unique_dir/common/common/common/person_name_dir/common_file.txt There are over 90,000 of these text files that I'd like to put in a single directory as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hburnswell
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files

I'm trying to do this exact same thing, so far I have created this to move files i've named my script CP.sh #!/bin/bash cd /root/my-documents/NewDir/ for f in *.doc do cp -v $f root/my-documents/NewDir $f{%.doc} done When i go to run this in the console i type, bin/sh/ CP.sh but it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MKTM_93_SIMP
7 Replies
File::Inplace(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  File::Inplace(3)

NAME
File::Inplace - Perl module for in-place editing of files SYNOPSIS
use File::Inplace; my $editor = new File::Inplace(file => "file.txt"); while (my ($line) = $editor->next_line) { $editor->replace_line(reverse $line); } $editor->commit; DESCRIPTION
File::Inplace is a perl module intended to ease the common task of editing a file in-place. Inspired by variations of perl's -i option, this module is intended for somewhat more structured and reusable editing than command line perl typically allows. File::Inplace endeavors to guarantee file integrity; that is, either all of the changes made will be saved to the file, or none will. It also offers functionality such as backup creation, automatic field splitting per-line, automatic chomping/unchomping, and aborting edits partially through without affecting the original file. CONSTRUCTOR
File::Inplace offers one constructor that accepts a number of parameters, one of which is required. File::Inplace->new(file => "filename", ...) file The one required parameter. This is the name of the file to edit. suffix The suffix for backup files. If not specified, no backups are made. chomp If set to zero, then automatic chomping will not be performed. Newlines (actually, the contents of $/) will remain in strings returned from "next_line". Additionally, the contents of $/ will not be appended when replacing lines. regex If specified, then each line will be split by this parameter when using "next_line_split" method. If unspecified, then this defaults to s+. separator The default character used to join each line when replace_line is invoked with a list instead of a single value. Defaults to a single space. INSTANCE METHODS
$editor->next_line () In scalar context, it returns the next line of the input file, or undef if there is no line. In an array context, it returns a single value of the line, or an empty list if there is no line. $editor->replace_line (value) Replaces the current line in the output file with the specified value. If passed a list, then each valie is joined by the "separator" specified at construction time. $editor->next_line_split () Line "next_line", except splits based on the "regex" specified in the constructor. $editor->has_lines () Returns true if the file contains any further lines. $editor->all_lines () Returns an array of all lines in the file being edited. $editor->replace_all_lines (@lines) Replaces all remaining lines in the file with the specified @lines. $editor->commit () Completes the edit operation and saves the changes to the edited file. $editor->rollback () Aborts the edit process. $editor->commit_to_backup () Saves edits to the backup file instead of the original file. AUTHOR
Chip Turner, <chipt@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2005 by Chip Turner This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.6.0 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. POD ERRORS
Hey! The above document had some coding errors, which are explained below: Around line 283: You forgot a '=back' before '=head1' Around line 285: '=item' outside of any '=over' perl v5.16.3 2005-01-29 File::Inplace(3)