Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ulimit -n for specific process Post 302542696 by jeffs42885 on Thursday 28th of July 2011 10:42:33 AM
Old 07-28-2011
ulimit -n for specific process

Hello all,

I need to set the ulimit -n for a specific java process we are running. Can someone please verify my syntax.

ulimit -n 10000 java com.Company.Application.Application.CustomJavaProcess &

Last edited by jeffs42885; 07-28-2011 at 12:26 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing specific process

Hello, I need to create a process that will kill a specific process if it's running. Let's just say the process is called win, actually called something else. It could be running multiple times on the machine and I would want to kill them all. Below is the code I have written so far, and it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: benefactr
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ulimit and 64 bits process

as we know, ulimit can be used to limit the stack and heap size of a process occupy. However, the space for 32-bits and 64 bits process are different. for example, "ulimit -s xxxx" only limit the stack size of 32- bits process, am I right? How to limit the size of 64-bits process? thanks a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tommy_cs
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting unix stats for a specific process

Hi, We are trying to run reports to determine what percentage of the physical cpu's are being used by Informix ( oninit ) processes on an Aix5.3 box. Is there any way to do that ? Sar just captures percentages but not by process name Topas allows us to see some of the processes, but even those... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fwellers
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

top output for a specific process to a file

Hi, I have the following script, and it is driving me nuts. It just hangs, I've tried all kinds of tricks, but it won't work. I know it can, it is pretty straight forward. It hangs when it tries to output $X Any help appreciated! #!/bin/bash set -o xtrace command="top -b"... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bloke
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to kill the specific process

Hi I have the process to kill regulary, but the PSID is dymatic change and not sure how to kill the specific process ID Check the tradekast_rvd is running , if such process, kill the els process id ps -e f |grep tradekast_rvd ps -ef |grep els then I kill els process id ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux_user
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for a specific process running or not in Unix

I have used ps -ef | grep <process name> to see if the process is still running or not. But, not being able to find anything in particular. Any clue on this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Haimanti
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with kill a specific process after certain running time

Hi, Do anybody experience to write a bash script in order to kill a specific process (java) after certain time of running? eg. java java.jar task_run.txt I will run a java program (java.jar) which will run a long list of process (task_run.txt) one by one. I plan to terminate the java... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
5 Replies

8. HP-UX

How to extract data for a specific process from ovpa?

Hi Friends, One question. Supposed I want to extract data only for process named "sqlplus" how can I do it. Any suggestions? I don't want all the data as it is not useful to me e.g.. Command I use is given below extract -xp -p -r repfile -b"03/15/13 7:00 PM" -e"03/15/13 09:30 PM" -f... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kunwar
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Watchdog for a specific process trigger another process

Hi, I am willing to build a script that does a "ps-ef" or "top" on a specific process, and if it finds it running to start another process. Any suggestions to do this in a optimized way? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liviusbr
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep a specific process name

Hello, I want to grep a specific process named "TEST" in AIX but not only is it showing what I want but also listing others that have the similar name. How can I only list "TEST"? I've tried using options grep -w with no change and grep -o isn't supported in my environment. Please advise. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
6 Replies
ULIMIT(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 ULIMIT(3)

NAME
ulimit - get and set user limits SYNOPSIS
#include <ulimit.h> long ulimit(int cmd, long newlimit); DESCRIPTION
Warning: This routine is obsolete. Use getrlimit(2), setrlimit(2), and sysconf(3) instead. For the shell command ulimit(), see bash(1). The ulimit() call will get or set some limit for the calling process. The cmd argument can have one of the following values. UL_GETFSIZE Return the limit on the size of a file, in units of 512 bytes. UL_SETFSIZE Set the limit on the size of a file. 3 (Not implemented for Linux.) Return the maximum possible address of the data segment. 4 (Implemented but no symbolic constant provided.) Return the maximum number of files that the calling process can open. RETURN VALUE
On success, ulimit() returns a nonnegative value. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EPERM A unprivileged process tried to increase a limit. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, POSIX.1-2001. POSIX.1-2008 marks ulimit() as obsolete. SEE ALSO
bash(1), getrlimit(2), setrlimit(2), sysconf(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-08-06 ULIMIT(3)