Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trivial perl doubt about FILE Post 302542667 by Skrynesaver on Thursday 28th of July 2011 09:48:49 AM
Old 07-28-2011
I think you may be mistaking Perl for Bash, the variable $FILE is always $FILE and is a different thing to the file handle FILE, best practice these days suggests that you should open files with lexically scoped file handles (and the 3 argument form of open) so you should never see a bareword like FILE in your source.

Code:
if ( open( my $file, '<' , 'in_file' ) ){
   while(<$file>){

This User Gave Thanks to Skrynesaver For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl doubt plz explain....

hi all i wrote a shell script which uses perl script my code is : >cat filename | while read i >do >perl -e 'require "/home/scripts/abc.pl" ; abc("$i")' >done perl script used will simply check syntax of Cobol programs but it didn't work for me so i asked my colleague he suggested... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zedex
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Transfer that is not so trivial I guess

I have three computers A, B and C. To login to B and C I should use A because it has a SSH key. I don't have any other way of accessing these two computers. Now, if I need to transfer a file between B and C, I am unable to find a way that would work... because I don't know how to authenticate... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Legend986
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script doubt?

Dear friends, I have two files. In first file first column ($1), i have numbers. The second file containes, the same number in the fourth column($4). I need a output file, matching the first file column 1 with second file column 4. The main thing is the output file lines will be sorted... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanth.vadalur
4 Replies

4. Programming

A trivial XOR doubt in a program

Hi, I am trying to reverse a string using the following program utilizing the Exclusive OR bit operation: int main() { char str = "Quraish"; char *p = str, temp; char *q = str + strlen(str) - 1; while ( p != q ) { if (*p != *q) { *p ^= *q; *q ^= *p; *p ^= *q;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl map doubt

Hello , Please can someone tell me what exactly happens when the below filehandler is chomped into an array and later mapped. $lcpLog="logcopy\@".getTimestamp."\log"; open CFg ,"< $lcpcfg"; chomp(@cfg = <CFG>); close CFG; @cfg=grep { $_ ne ' ' } map { lc + (split /\s*\/\//) }... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmv
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt in Perl Variable declaration

Anyone please say what is the difference between $var and ${var} in perl Sometimes $var used and sometimes ${var} used in same program. Thanks in Advance, Prabhu ---------- Post updated at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous update was at 05:59 AM ---------- Any one please clarify (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prsampath
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt in this trivial awk code

Hi, What is the difference in the following two awk one-liners? awk -F, '{s++} END {if (s == 1 && $4 > "09:10:00") {print $2, $4}}' f1 awk -F, '{s++} s == 1 && $4 > "09:10:00" {print $2, $4}' f1 Even though, all the 2nd column values have duplicate records, the first code does not give any... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

8. Programming

Trivial doubt about C function pointer

Hi, In the below C code, #include <stdio.h> void print() { printf("Hello\n"); } int main() { void (*f)() = (void (*)()) print; f(); (*f)(); } I wonder, how the syntaxes "f()" and "(*f)()" are treated as same without any error? Is this an improvement or ANSI/ISO... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl doubt

Hi, Please help me to understand the following code: perl -lne 'print if "$_ " =~ /(5 (?:\d+ ){5})\1/' What the regular expression "?:" does? Also, whether the expression "\1" is the same as in sed (i.e) printing the elements inside pair of parentheses? (3 Replies)
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Non trivial file splitting, saving with variable filename

Hello, Although I have found similar questions, I could not find advice that could help with our problem. The issue: We have a few thousands text files (books). Each book has many chapters. Each chapter is identified by a cite-key. We need to split each of those book files by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samask
4 Replies
Plack::App::CGIBin(3pm) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   Plack::App::CGIBin(3pm)

NAME
Plack::App::CGIBin - cgi-bin replacement for Plack servers SYNOPSIS
use Plack::App::CGIBin; use Plack::Builder; my $app = Plack::App::CGIBin->new(root => "/path/to/cgi-bin")->to_app; builder { mount "/cgi-bin" => $app; }; # Or from the command line plackup -MPlack::App::CGIBin -e 'Plack::App::CGIBin->new(root => "/path/to/cgi-bin")->to_app' DESCRIPTION
Plack::App::CGIBin allows you to load CGI scripts from a directory and convert them into a PSGI application. This would give you the extreme easiness when you have bunch of old CGI scripts that is loaded using cgi-bin of Apache web server. HOW IT WORKS
This application checks if a given file path is a perl script and if so, uses CGI::Compile to compile a CGI script into a sub (like ModPerl::Registry) and then run it as a persistent application using CGI::Emulate::PSGI. If the given file is not a perl script, it executes the script just like a normal CGI script with fork & exec. This is like a normal web server mode and no performance benefit is achieved. The default mechanism to determine if a given file is a Perl script is as follows: o Check if the filename ends with ".pl". If yes, it is a Perl script. o Open the file and see if the shebang (first line of the file) contains the word "perl" (like "#!/usr/bin/perl"). If yes, it is a Perl script. You can customize this behavior by passing "exec_cb" callback, which takes a file path to its first argument. For example, if your perl-based CGI script uses lots of global variables and such and are not ready to run on a persistent environment, you can do: my $app = Plack::App::CGIBin->new( root => "/path/to/cgi-bin", exec_cb => sub { 1 }, )->to_app; to always force the execute option for any files. AUTHOR
Tatsuhiko Miyagawa SEE ALSO
Plack::App::File CGI::Emulate::PSGI CGI::Compile Plack::App::WrapCGI See also Plack::App::WrapCGI if you compile one CGI script into a PSGI application without serving CGI scripts from a directory, to remove overhead of filesystem lookups, etc. perl v5.14.2 2011-11-02 Plack::App::CGIBin(3pm)