Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: root and /usr
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers root and /usr Post 302542633 by Norgaard on Thursday 28th of July 2011 08:11:05 AM
Old 07-28-2011
Well, I guess that that means "no particular risk"?

Last edited by Norgaard; 07-28-2011 at 11:58 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run non-root script as root with non-root environment

All, I want to run a non-root script as the root user with non-root environment variables with crontab. The non-root user would have environment variables for database access such as Oracle or Sybase. The root user does not have the Oracle or Sybase enviroment variables. I thought you could do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
2 Replies

2. Solaris

How do I link ld in /usr/ucb/ to /usr/ccs/bin?

Hi all, below is the problem details: ora10g@CNORACLE1>which ld /usr/ucb/ld ora10g@CNORACLE1>cd /usr/ccs/bin ora10g@CNORACLE1>ln -s /usr/ucb/ld ld ln: cannot create ld: File exists ora10g@CNORACLE1> how to link it to /usr/ccs/bin? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
6 Replies

3. Solaris

difference between "root" and "usr" packages

Hi, could someone pls enlighten me on the difference between the "root" package and "usr" package? Like in this example: pkginfo -l SUNWGtku | grep -i desc DESC: GTK - The GIMP Toolkit (Usr) and pkginfo -l SUNWGtkr | grep -i desc DESC: GTK - The GIMP Toolkit (Root)... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: masloff
6 Replies

4. Solaris

how to login with ssh to remote system with out applying the remote root/usr password

how to login with ssh to remote system with out applying the remote root/user password with rlogin we can ujse .rhosts file but with ssh howits possible plz guide (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Unable to create or delete a directory in /usr with root user

Hi All, I am trying to uninstall jdk 1.5 from my Solaris 10 64 bit but some how was not successful.so tried to delete the folder of jdk from /usr but its throughing error as: Unable to remove directory jdk: Read-only file system Even I tried to create a dir in /usr but its not allowing me... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pshah
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

7. AIX

Upgrade to TL8 failed: bos.net.NFS.client 6.1.8.1 (usr: COMMITTED, root:

dears i am trying to upgrade the TL from TL7 to TL8 and i facing this issue AIX6.1 << End of Success Section >> +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ BUILDDATE Verification ...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
2 Replies

8. BSD

FreeBSD: /usr/bin/ld not looking in /usr/local/lib

I'm not sure if this is the default behavior for the ld command, but it does not seem to be looking in /usr/local/lib for shared libraries. I was trying to compile the latest version of Kanatest from svn. The autorgen.sh script seems to exit without too much trouble: $ ./autogen.sh checking... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntumDeluge
2 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

OSX: ./Users/myname OR. /usr/myname ? 1) what is the truth on UNIX ./usr/ directory.

OSX uses its own directory strecture on the BSD core, for example /Users/Bob_Alice/. but legacy Unix structure /usr/... remains. Adding confustion, some Unix books say /usr/ was never intended for specific users. and others show it being used for Bor or Alice. I am not sure where to put my third... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaelayres
5 Replies
CONFIG.GUESS(1) 						   User Commands						   CONFIG.GUESS(1)

NAME
config.guess - guess the build system triplet SYNOPSIS
config.guess [OPTION] DESCRIPTION
The GNU build system distinguishes three types of machines, the `build' machine on which the compilers are run, the `host' machine on which the package being built will run, and, exclusively when you build a compiler, assembler etc., the `target' machine, for which the compiler being built will produce code. This script will guess the type of the `build' machine. Output the configuration name of the system `config.guess' is run on. Operation modes: -h, --help print this help, then exit -t, --time-stamp print date of last modification, then exit -v, --version print version number, then exit ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
config.guess might need to compile and run C code, hence it needs a compiler for the `build' machine: use the environment variable `CC_FOR_BUILD' to specify the compiler for the build machine. If `CC_FOR_BUILD' is not specified, `CC' will be used. Be sure to specify `CC_FOR_BUILD' is `CC' is a cross-compiler to the `host' machine. CC_FOR_BUILD a native C compiler, defaults to `cc' CC a native C compiler, the previous variable is preferred REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs and patches to <config-patches@gnu.org>. Originally written by Per Bothner. Copyright (C) 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
autoconf(1), automake(1), autoreconf(1), autoupdate(1), autoheader(1), autoscan(1), config.guess(1), config.sub(1), ifnames(1), libtool(1). config.guess (2005-09-19) September 2005 CONFIG.GUESS(1)