Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: variable assignment problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting variable assignment problem Post 302542234 by aishsimplesweet on Wednesday 27th of July 2011 04:43:23 AM
Old 07-27-2011
it is still giving error now on displaying the value

-bash-3.00$ abc=deepak
-bash-3.00$ a=1
-bash-3.00$ eval def_${a}=${abc}
-bash-3.00$ echo ${def_${a}}
-bash: ${def_${a}}: bad substitution

---------- Post updated at 03:43 AM ---------- Previous update was at 03:43 AM ----------

Code:
-bash-3.00$ abc=deepak
-bash-3.00$ a=1

---------- Post updated at 03:43 AM ---------- Previous update was at 03:43 AM ----------

Code:
-bash-3.00$ abc=deepak
-bash-3.00$ a=1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

@ in a variable assignment

Hello Everybody, Does anyone know what the @ symbol means in a csh script, if used with a variable assignment as below @ line = 1 why not just use.... set line=1 Many thanks rkap (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkap
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable assignment problem

Hi, I am having a problem with assigning a value to a variable. The empname is looked for in the employees file and I am trying to assign it to the jobnum variable in the following statement jobnum= cat/etc/employees | grep $empname | cut -d : -f 5 It is getting the right answer but it is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rodney08
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic variable assignment

Hi All, I have the below scenario: A file test.cfg with three fields>> DATA1 DATA2 DATA3 In the script I need to assign each of the fields to variables. The number of fields will not be constant (this case we have three). Im trying to do something like this: NUM=1 OUT_DAT_NO=3 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakgang
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

eval and variable assignment

Hi, i have an issue with eval and variable assignment. 1) i have a date value in a variable and that date is part of a filename, var1=20100331 file1=${var1}-D1-0092.xml.zip file2=${var2}-D2-0092.xml.zip file3=${var3}-D3-0092.xml.zip i am passing the above variables to a script via... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanpadamata
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with variable assignment

Hi, In AIX I have a variable with , (coma) separated values assigned to it like shown below var1=apple,boy,chris i want to convert this to var1='apple','boy','chris' the number of values assigned to var1 might change and it could be from 1 to n any suggestions please? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul9909
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

'eval' used in variable assignment

pattern1=book { x=1 eval echo \$pattern$x } book (this is the output) But when I assign a variable to the output of the eval it doesn't work unless I prefix 2 times backslash before $ as shown below. { a=`eval echo \\$pattern$x` echo $a } book Why here twice "\" has to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mutilple variable assignment

i have file that contains data as follows 1 2 3 now i need to assign them into three variables a1=1 a2=2 a3=3 Everything should come under a loop. In reality i may have 10 values which has to be assigned to 10 variable. if i have 25 values ( lines) , each should be assigned into... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajesh_us
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of # in assignment of variable

guys, i would like to know what does the below does. tr=`echo $bfile | cut -d"." -f4` tr=${tr#TR} i tried with assigning a value and executed second line. but after that also value of tr remains same. thanks in advance .. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: expert
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Same Variable Assignment

Hi I have a strange problem: In my shell script I am performing a copy task: . prop.txt cp -r $dir/ $dir/archive $dir is fetched from a property file (prop.txt) which stores its value dir=/opt/data Now the problem is another dir1 comes into picture. I only want to add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankur328
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable Assignment

Hi I am facing a problem. export local_folder=/opt/app/ cd /opt/app/abc/ abcversion="abc*" (abcga5 is inside /opt/app/abc/) echo $abcversion (it echoes the correct version as abcga5 ) Now when I reuse the value of abcversion for a below path: export... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankur328
6 Replies
ICECREAM(1)							     icecream							       ICECREAM(1)

NAME
icecream - download icecast and shoutcast streams, redirecting all fetched content to stdout and/or to disk at the same time SYNOPSIS
icecream [OPTIONS] URL [URL..] DESCRIPTION
icecream is a lightweight, non-interactive, stream download utility. It connects to icecast and shoutcast servers or direct stream URLs, and redirects all fetched content to stdout and/or to media files on your disk. Listen to the stream piping the output to a stdin-capable media player. Save the stream to a named file or split it into different tracks. It is possible to redirect the stream and save it to disk at the same time. icecream is able to parse pls and m3u playlists, and to download mp3 and ogg direct stream URLs. If the stream is anonymous it will be saved as 'stream-time.mp3', where time is actual timestamp. OPTIONS
-h, --help Print a help message describing all options -q, --quiet Turn off output -v, --verbose Be verbose -t, --tracks Split stream into tracks (if possible) --name=NAME Save the stream to file specified by NAME. Format codes starting with "%" will be replaced. See the date command for valid format codes. --stop=N[units] Stop downloading the stream after N kb/mb/min/songs --user-agent=AGENT Set user-agent header to AGENT --stdout Output stream to stdout (implies -q) --sync Turn syncing on, required for some mpeg players that read from stdin --debug Turn on debugging outputs EXAMPLES
Streaming to mpg123 icecream --stdout http://radio.com/playlist.pls | mpg123 - Split stream into different tracks icecream -t http://metal.org/radio.pls Split stream into tracks and play with vlc at the same time icecream -t --stdout http://streaming.com/playlist.pls | vlc file:/dev/stdin Prepare a 74 minute CD icecream -t --stop 74min http://trace.net/playlist.m3u Use a filename with today's date as output icecream -q --name 'radio_%Y_%m_%d' --stop 60min http://radio.com/playlist.pls BUGS
You are welcome to send bug reports about icecream to our mailing list. Feel free to visit http://icecream.sourceforge.net AUTHOR
Written by Gil Megidish <gil at megidish.net> 1.3 2008-04-28 ICECREAM(1)