Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Having a terrible problem with quotes/single quotes! Post 302542228 by jondecker76 on Wednesday 27th of July 2011 04:22:12 AM
Old 07-27-2011
Thanks, that worked great!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

im stuck! 'single quotes'

Hi all... This is probably the simplest question but its driving me round the bend :-( does anyone know how to store a single quote in a variable. Im using cygwin bash for example single_qoute = " ' " echo single_quote dosnt work :-( it is absolutely baffling me! The reason why... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satnamx
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with single quotes in a string and findbug

I'm having trouble manipulating a string that contains single quotes (') in it. I'm writing a ksh script to parse in a few queries from a config file, such as this: findbug \(\(Project 'in' "Deployment,HDRCI,LHS,LSS,WUCI" '&&' Status 'in' "N" '&&' New_on 'lessthan' "070107" \)\) '&&' \(Class... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bob122480
9 Replies

3. Programming

Checking Single Quotes in C

Hi ! Can anyone please tell me how can I check if a character is single quotes in C ? Thanks, Jane A (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: janemary.a
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double quotes or single quotes when using ssh?

I'm not very familiar with the ssh command. When I tried to set a variable and then echo its value on a remote machine via ssh, I found a problem. For example, $ ITSME=itsme $ ssh xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx "ITSME=itsyou; echo $ITSME" itsme $ ssh xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx 'ITSME=itsyou; echo $ITSME' itsyou $... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: password636
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem renaming a file with single quotes

Hi, I am trying to create a script which validates the incoming source files. The script has File name Pattern as Argument. The First part of the script validates if there are any files available if then echo "\n Files are available to process \n" else echo "\n File does not... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsshishya
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single quotes and double quotes

Hi guys, I have a sed line in double quotes which works fine, but I want it to be in single quotes here is the sed line sed "/abc_def/s/\'.*\'/\'\${abc_def}\'/" can some one give the equivalent to the above script in single quotes Thanks a ton (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with echo inserting single quotes

Consider the following script: #!/bin/bash exclude='Archive PST,SystemState' IFS=$"," rsyncExclusions=$(for exclude in ${exclude}; do echo -n -e --exclude=\"${exclude}\"\ ; done) unset IFS echo rsync $rsyncExclusions test rsync -avh --delete --delete-excluded "$rsyncExclusions"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep single quotes or double quotes

Unix superusers, I am new to unix but would like to learn more about grep. I am very familiar with regular expressions as i have used them for searching text files in windows based text editors. Since I am not very familiar with Unix, I dont understand when one should use GREP with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: george_vandelet
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace single quote with two single quotes in perl

Hi I want to replace single quote with two single quotes in a perl string. If the string is <It's Simpson's book> It should become <It''s Simpson''s book> (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DushyantG
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Single Quotes and Double Quotes for prompt PS1

Hi, Trying to change the prompt. I have the following code. export PS1=' <${USER}@`hostname -s`>$ ' The hostname is not displayed <abc@`hostname -s`>$ uname -a AIX xyz 1 6 00F736154C00 <adcwl4h@`hostname -s`>$ If I use double quotes, then the hostname is printed properly but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
3 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)