Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Adding a new user to Unix
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Adding a new user to Unix Post 302542192 by kailash19 on Wednesday 27th of July 2011 02:45:25 AM
Old 07-27-2011
Adding a new user to Unix

Hi,

I have my new Unix machine setup. Its just have one user root.
I need to create a new user and add it to a group. I want this user to have privileges as root(run all command).
I know i need to use useradd command for this.My question is:
1) To which group i should add my user? DO i need to create a group too.
2) For doing SUDO (be able to run command as root) , how should i modify the /etc/sudoers file ?

Please help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding a user to a group

Now, its been a while since i done this but I had to add a user to a group. I did that by using the usermod command and now when I superuser to the user's account and issue a "id", i get the desired gid. i mean, output of id indicated the user is assigned to the group i want him to be in. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
5 Replies

2. Solaris

adding a user in single user mode

Just got a solaris 8 blade 150 box with no users, only a root account. no one seems to know the password. I'd like to add one user. So I booted into single user mode via cdrom and added one. Can't seem to login using the new account, though. Here's what I'm using: # useradd -d /tmp/"user" -m... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ECBROWN
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding user to groups

How do I add a user to a group? And how do I determine the list of groups to add a user? Solaris 10 newbie (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: peteythapitbull
1 Replies

4. SCO

adding a user

In SCO Unix, where does useradd or adding a user through scoadmin (gui) pick the initial default .profile (login profile) that is put in the users home folder? In Solaris its in the /etc/skel/.profile. I would like to replace it with a custom .profile; so that it's picked automatically when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: othman
1 Replies

5. SCO

Help adding user login in Unix Sco

We have made numerous requests to our system administrator to add new employees at login screen ( passwords not required ) to no avail. I can login into root but not sure how to proceed from there. We have a 10 yr. old version of SCO Can anyone help? I know very few unix commands okay... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: houseostyle
1 Replies

6. Solaris

help adding a new user/password

I just installed Solaris 10 yesterday and I need to create a new username and password. I'm new to the system and I have yet to learn my way around. I appreciate all help and thank you in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bones
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Adding user

Hello All, New to Solaris, I added a new user by cmd " useradd -d /export/home/username -m username " but wondered when I tried to login with this new username, It doesn't automatically redirect to the user's home folder. Can anyone suggest about this? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
9 Replies

8. Solaris

Adding User to group

Hi all, I have a existing user user1 its group id dba i have created a new user named: uta and added to group dba my task for creating uta ( to ftp solaris server from /oracle/pcmia/dry1 & oracle/pcmia/dry2 and get some rdf ( database patch) and saved in one windows folder named d:\patch... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding a user to cron.allow

Hello all, I have solaris 10. I have have a script that installs crontab for a user. I want to add some more features to this script. I want to check whether the user exists in etc/cron.d/cron.allow ... if yes then continue the script without adding .... if not, then add that user to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MisterKhan
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Adding UNIX user to a group

Hi, I am new to unix. I am facing access permission issue I want to access path /app/compress from a user "test" but getting permission denied error This path exist in "Main" user So after some googling i came to know we need to add "test" user in "main" group so path /app/compress ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
7 Replies
pmvarrun(8)							     pam_mount							       pmvarrun(8)

Name
       pmvarrun - updates /var/run/pam_mount/user

Syntax
       pmvarrun -u user [options]

Description
       A  separate  program is needed so that /var/run/pam_mount/user may be created with a pam_mount-specific security context (otherwise SELinux
       policy will conflict with gdm, which also creates file in /var/run).

pmvarrun is flexible and can run in a number of different security setups:

root-root
       When pmvarrun is invoked as root, /var/run/pam_mount's permission settings can be as strict as needed; usually (0755,root,root) is  a  good
       pick  as  it  gives  users the debug control over their refcount. Refcount files are given their respective owners (chowned to the user who
       logs in).

user-user
       When invoked as the user who logs in, /var/run/pam_mount needs appropriate permissions to create a file, which means the write bit must	be
       set. It is also highly suggested to set the sticky bit in this case, so other users do not tamper with your refcount.

root-user
       Some  programs or login helpers incorrectly call the PAM stack in a way that the login phase is done as root and the logout phase as a nor-
       mal user.  Nevertheless, pmvarrun supports this, and the same permissions as in root-root can be used. While the user may not  be  able	to
       unlink his file from /var/run/pam_mount, it will be truncated to indicate the same state.

Options
       --help, -h
	      Display help.

--user user, -u user
	      User to handle, must be a valid username.

--operation number, -o number
	      Increase volume count by number.

-d     Turn on debugging.

Files
       /var/run/pam_mount/user

Author
       This  manpage  was originally written by Bastian Kleineidam <calvin@debian.org> for the Debian distribution of libpam-mount but may be used
       by others.

See /usr/share/doc/packages/libpam-mount/copyright for the list of original authors of pam_mount.

pam_mount							    2008-10-08							       pmvarrun(8)