Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris What is the difference between xpg4/bin and usr/bin? Post 302542105 by bartus11 on Tuesday 26th of July 2011 05:26:38 PM
Old 07-26-2011
Yes, it is true in most of the cases.
This User Gave Thanks to bartus11 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/bin/sh: /usr/bin/vi: No such file or directory when doing crontab

I just set up an ftp server with Red Hat 5.2. I am doing the work, I'm baby stepping, but it seems like every step I get stuck. Currently, I'm trying to set up a crontab job, but I'm getting the following message: /bin/sh: /usr/bin/vi: No such file or directory. I see that vi exists in /bin/vi,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwalter
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin ?

Hi All, Can somebody tell me the difference between /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin ? Thanx in advance, Saneesh Joseph (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saneeshjose
3 Replies

3. Linux

/usr/xpg4/bin/awk on linux

Hello people, What is the equivalent of /usr/xpg4/bin/awk on linux? Linux has awk and gawk. But gawk is not the same as /usr/xpg4/bin/awk thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fuser: difference with bin/sh and bin/ksh shell script

Hi, I have a problem I don't understand with fuser. I launch a simple shell script mysleep.sh: I launch the command fuser -fu mysleep.sh but fuser doesn't return anything excepted: mysleep: Then I modify my script switching from #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/ksh I launch the command fuser -fu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peuj
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alias /usr/bin to /bin in profile

Hi! All the basic linux commands, ie. echo, find, etc, are located in /bin. I have a couple of programs that have these commands pointed towards /usr/bin, ie, /usr/bin/echo (even though the actual 'echo' command is in /bin). How can I alias or redirect or link the /usr/bin to /bin just for this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dancerat
6 Replies

6. Red Hat

/usr/bin/find && -exec /bin/rm never work as expected

hi there, Would you able to advise that why the syntax or statement below couldn't work as expected ? /usr/bin/find /backup -name "*tar*" -mtime +2 -exec /bin/rm -f {} \; 1> /dev/null 2>&1 In fact, I was initially located it as in crontab job, but it doesn't work at all. So, I was... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rauphelhunter
9 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

When to use /Users/m/bin instead of /usr/local/bin (& whats the diff?)?

Q1. I understand that /usr/local/bin means I can install/uninstall stuff in here and have any chance of messing up my original system files or effecting any other users. I created this directory myself. But what about the directory I didn't create, namely /Users/m/bin? How is that directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michellepace
1 Replies

8. Solaris

How to link sed from /usr/bin/sed to /usr/local/bin/sed?

Hi Guys, OS:- Solaris 10 64Bit I have a small query. On one server a user is facing sed command issue. He gets error regarding sed for this location /users/hoy/2999/batch5/bin/internal.sh: /usr/local/bin/sed: not found How ever the sed is actually present at this location on server:-... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested if not working with /usr/xpg4/bin/awk

Hi, I am trying to do if inside the If in /usr/xpg4/bin/awk. But I am getting below error : /usr/xpg4/bin/awk -v a="${THREADIDARR }" 'BEGIN {FS="|"; n=split(a,b," "); for(i=1; i<=n; i++) c]=1;} length($3) == 0{ftag == 1{{print}}; length($3) != 0{$3 in c{ftag=1;print;} !$3 in c{ftag=0;}}'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nes
4 Replies
TEST(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   TEST(1)

NAME
test, [ - test for a condition SYNOPSIS
test expr [ expr ] OPTIONS
(none) EXAMPLES
test -r file # See if file is readable DESCRIPTION
Test checks to see if files exist, are readable, etc. and returns an exit status of zero if true and nonzero if false. The legal operators are -r file true if the file is readable -w file true if the file is writable -x file true if the file is executable -f file true if the file is not a directory -d file true if the file is a directory -s file true if the file exists and has a size > 0 -t fd true if file descriptor fd (default 1) is a terminal -z s true if the string s has zero length -n s true if the string s has nonzero length s1 = s2 true if the strings s1 and s2 are identical s1 != s2 true if the strings s1 and s2 are different m -eq m true if the integers m and n are numerically equal The operators -gt, -ge, -ne, -le, and -lt may be used as well. These operands may be combined with -a (Boolean and), -o (Boolean or), ! (negation). The priority of -a is higher than that of -o. Parentheses are permitted, but must be escaped to keep the shell from trying to interpret them. SEE ALSO
expr(1), sh(1). TEST(1)