Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers To find the Nth Occurence of Search String Post 302541935 by yazu on Tuesday 26th of July 2011 07:52:37 AM
Old 07-26-2011
GNU grep:
Code:
vim +`grep  -n -mN PATTERN INPUTFILE | tail -n1 | cut -c1` INPUTFILE

Of course you can put this in a script with N, PATTERN, and INPUTFILE as parameters.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find vowel's occurence in a string

Hi All, I want to search the string for vowel's occurence and find the no of occurence of each vowels, Could anyone help me out? This is urgent to me...I m new to Shell programming.. Thanks and Regards, Nids:b: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nidhi2177
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find index of last occurence of a character within a string

I need to find the index of last '|' (highlighted in bold) in awk : |ifOraDatabase.Lastservererr<>0then|iferr_flag<>0then|end if Please suggest a way... Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joyan321
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to find the second occurence of the alphabet in a string

this is my assignment question. i'm supposed to submit it tommorow. can somebody please help me with it? Do not post homework questions in the main forums. Please post in the homework forum using the correct template. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijjy
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the occurence of particular string in log file

I have a log file which looks like this: <845185415165:STATUS:5/0:0:0:0:0|ghy59DI5zasldf87asdfamas8df9asd903tGUVSQx4GJVSQ==> I have to extract DATE and number of times the keyword STATUS is shown on each date. Input is : <1354625655744:STATUS:5/0:0:0:0:0|ghy59DI5ztGUVSQx4GJVSQ==>... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: maddyrox
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Find and replace till nth occurence of a special character

Hi, I have a requirement to search for a pattern in each line in a file and remove the in between words till the 3rd occurrence of double quote ("). Ex: CREATE TABLE "SCHEMANAME"."AMS_LTV_STATUS" (Note: "SCHEMANAME" may changes for different schemas. Its not a fixed value) I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyaatcgi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find nth position of character in string

Hi guyz i want to know nth position of character in string. For ex. var="UK,TK,HK,IND,AUS" now if we see 1st occurance of , is at 3 position, 2nd at 6,..4th at 13 position. 1st position we can find through INDEX, but what about 2nd,3rd and 4th or may be upto nth position. ? In oracle we had... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jonty Immortal
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and increment at each occurence of string (loop)

I created script (sh shell) to generate vlc playlist based on some data files. All works fine so far except one string I do not know how to handle with. VLCSTART='<vlc:id>' VLCV=0 VLCEND='</vlc:id>' echo -e $'\n'$'\t'$'\t'$'\t'$'\t'\$VLCSTART$VLCV$VLCENDOutput file contains several occurences... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: TiedCone
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get nth occurence of string from a file

I have file in which the data looks like this, 01,0000000,xxxxxxx/ 02,xxxxxxxx,yyyyyy/ 03,test1,41203016,,/ 01,0000000,xxxxxxx/ 02,xxxxxxxx,yyyyyy/ ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: r@v!7*7@
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search and replace string from nth column from a file?

I wanted to search for a string and replace it with other string from nth column of a file which is comma seperated which I am able to do with below # For Comma seperated file without quotes awk 'BEGIN{OFS=FS=","}$"'"$ColumnNo"'"=="'"$PPK"'"{$"'"$ColumnNo"'"="'"$NPK"'"}{print}' ${FileName} ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit Joshi
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete after nth occurence of string in each line

Hello, Environment: I am under Ubuntu 18.04 bionic. I have an sql file consisting of 10K lines. Objective: What I am trying to attain is to remove everything coming after 2nd tab in each line. While searching for the answer, I found two answers and both gave expected result just for the first... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
2 Replies
MSGGREP(1)								GNU								MSGGREP(1)

NAME
msggrep - pattern matching on message catalog SYNOPSIS
msggrep [OPTION] [INPUTFILE] DESCRIPTION
Extracts all messages of a translation catalog that match a given pattern or belong to some given source files. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. Input file location: INPUTFILE input PO file -D, --directory=DIRECTORY add DIRECTORY to list for input files search If no input file is given or if it is -, standard input is read. Output file location: -o, --output-file=FILE write output to specified file The results are written to standard output if no output file is specified or if it is -. Message selection: [-N SOURCEFILE]... [-M DOMAINNAME]... [-J MSGCTXT-PATTERN] [-K MSGID-PATTERN] [-T MSGSTR-PATTERN] [-C COMMENT-PATTERN] [-X EXTRACTED-COMMENT-PATTERN] A message is selected if it comes from one of the specified source files, or if it comes from one of the specified domains, or if -J is given and its context (msgctxt) matches MSGCTXT-PATTERN, or if -K is given and its key (msgid or msgid_plural) matches MSGID-PATTERN, or if -T is given and its translation (msgstr) matches MSGSTR-PATTERN, or if -C is given and the translator's comment matches COMMENT-PATTERN, or if -X is given and the extracted comment matches EXTRACTED-COMMENT-PATTERN. When more than one selection criterion is specified, the set of selected messages is the union of the selected messages of each criterion. MSGCTXT-PATTERN or MSGID-PATTERN or MSGSTR-PATTERN or COMMENT-PATTERN or EXTRACTED-COMMENT-PATTERN syntax: [-E | -F] [-e PATTERN | -f FILE]... PATTERNs are basic regular expressions by default, or extended regular expressions if -E is given, or fixed strings if -F is given. -N, --location=SOURCEFILE select messages extracted from SOURCEFILE -M, --domain=DOMAINNAME select messages belonging to domain DOMAINNAME -J, --msgctxt start of patterns for the msgctxt -K, --msgid start of patterns for the msgid -T, --msgstr start of patterns for the msgstr -C, --comment start of patterns for the translator's comment -X, --extracted-comment start of patterns for the extracted comment -E, --extended-regexp PATTERN is an extended regular expression -F, --fixed-strings PATTERN is a set of newline-separated strings -e, --regexp=PATTERN use PATTERN as a regular expression -f, --file=FILE obtain PATTERN from FILE -i, --ignore-case ignore case distinctions -v, --invert-match output only the messages that do not match any selection criterion Input file syntax: -P, --properties-input input file is in Java .properties syntax --stringtable-input input file is in NeXTstep/GNUstep .strings syntax Output details: --color use colors and other text attributes always --color=WHEN use colors and other text attributes if WHEN. WHEN may be 'always', 'never', 'auto', or 'html'. --style=STYLEFILE specify CSS style rule file for --color --no-escape do not use C escapes in output (default) --escape use C escapes in output, no extended chars --force-po write PO file even if empty --indent indented output style --no-location suppress '#: filename:line' lines --add-location preserve '#: filename:line' lines (default) --strict strict Uniforum output style -p, --properties-output write out a Java .properties file --stringtable-output write out a NeXTstep/GNUstep .strings file -w, --width=NUMBER set output page width --no-wrap do not break long message lines, longer than the output page width, into several lines --sort-output generate sorted output --sort-by-file sort output by file location Informative output: -h, --help display this help and exit -V, --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by Bruno Haible. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnu-gettext@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001-2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html> This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for msggrep is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and msggrep programs are properly installed at your site, the command info msggrep should give you access to the complete manual. GNU gettext-tools 0.18.1 June 2010 MSGGREP(1)