Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to open a file and read a file in UNIX Post 302541862 by sravan008 on Tuesday 26th of July 2011 03:39:11 AM
Old 07-26-2011
how to open a file and read a file in UNIX

HI can any one tell me how to open and read a file in UNIX

actually i have the following script can you please suggest me on this..

LOG,">$log" or NotifyAdmin "Failed to open file $log";... this is the perl statement.. which opens log file. i want to open same log file in unix

Thanks
sravan

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do u open a read only file in Unix?

How do u open a read only file in Unix? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JosephGerard
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

open unix file in windows

Hi, I have a text file in unix. i am trying to give a link in Internet explorer to that file. If i click on the link in Internet Explorer page then it should display the text from file in unix. is that anyway possible.... i am trying it for past 2 days....if i find a way out i will... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Win32::OLE open excel file as read only

I am using Win32::OLE to write a perl script which opens an excel file. That excel file is password protected and everytime i run that script dialog box pops up and I have to click on Read-Only then my script executes. Is there any way I can specify the readonly attribute in my code so i dont have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dguy
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can i read a non text file in unix - ELF-64 executable object file - IA64

The binary file is ELF-64 executable object file - IA64. How i know that the source is Is there any comamnd in unix i can read these kind of files or use a thirty party software? Thanks for your help (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
8 Replies

5. Solaris

file open/read/write/close/access by process

Hi want to know what file (descriptor+filename+socket) is being accessed by particular process on solaris. Purpose : while running perf. test, needs to find where is the bottleneck. We are providing concurrnet load for around 1 hr and needs to capture data related to file usage pattern... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raxitsheth
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

open windows's .url file in unix

In windows, I can create a shortcut for websites. It's a .url file. the content of the file is like: How can I open it, the .url file, in firefox or google chrome in Unix(or just ubuntu)? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hz_i3
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Before I delete any file in Unix, How can I check no open file handle is pointing to that file?

I know how to check if any file has a unix process using a file by looking at 'lsof <fullpath/filename>' command. I think using lsof is very expensive. Also to make it accurate we need to inlcude fullpath of the file. Is there another command that can tell if a file has a truely active... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open a file in UNIX mode

hi, The function open(OUTPUT, ">$output_filename"); #opens the file in (DOS) windows mode. how to open the output file in unix mode. please suggest. thanks. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rashid Khan
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to read .csv file until open in vi editor

Hi, I am facing a problem regarding .csv file, my script does not read .csv file and if i open this file in vi editor and perform :wq option then only my script reads the .csv file. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranabhavish
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read csv file, convert the data and make one text file in UNIX shell scripting

I have input data looks like this which is a part of a csv file 7,1265,76548,"0102:04" 8,1266,76545,"0112:04" I need to make the output data should look like this and the output data will be part of text file: 7|1265000 |7654899 |A| 8|12660000 |76545999 |B| The logic behind the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJG
6 Replies
FOPEN(3S)																 FOPEN(3S)

NAME
fopen, freopen, fdopen - open a stream SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> FILE *fopen(filename, type) char *filename, *type; FILE *freopen(filename, type, stream) char *filename, *type; FILE *stream; FILE *fdopen(fildes, type) char *type; DESCRIPTION
Fopen opens the file named by filename and associates a stream with it. Fopen returns a pointer to be used to identify the stream in sub- sequent operations. Type is a character string having one of the following values: "r" open for reading "w" create for writing "a" append: open for writing at end of file, or create for writing In addition, each type may be followed by a "+" to have the file opened for reading and writing. "r+" positions the stream at the begin- ning of the file, "w+" creates or truncates it, and "a+" positions it at the end. Both reads and writes may be used on read/write streams, with the limitation that an fseek, rewind, or reading an end-of-file must be used between a read and a write or vice-versa. Freopen substitutes the named file in place of the open stream. It returns the original value of stream. The original stream is closed. Freopen is typically used to attach the preopened constant names, stdin, stdout, stderr, to specified files. Fdopen associates a stream with a file descriptor obtained from open, dup, creat, or pipe(2). The type of the stream must agree with the mode of the open file. SEE ALSO
open(2), fclose(3) DIAGNOSTICS
Fopen and freopen return the pointer NULL if filename cannot be accessed, if too many files are already open, or if other resources needed cannot be allocated. BUGS
Fdopen is not portable to systems other than UNIX. The read/write types do not exist on all systems. Those systems without read/write modes will probably treat the type as if the "+" was not present. These are unreliable in any event. In order to support the same number of open files as does the system, fopen must allocate additional memory for data structures using cal- loc after 20 files have been opened. This confuses some programs which use their own memory allocators. An undocumented routine, f_preal- loc, may be called to force immediate allocation of all internal memory except for buffers. 4th Berkeley Distribution May 27, 1986 FOPEN(3S)