Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting KSH - Text from input file truncated while converting it to excel Post 302541755 by jim mcnamara on Monday 25th of July 2011 02:59:23 PM
Old 07-25-2011
just use sqlplus to create a tab-delimited file for you. You can send the tab-delimited file directly to users. Excel will convert it. Correctly
Code:
set colsep '  '

The "space" between the ' ' came from pushing the tab key.

This avoids the problem you are having - users entering wierd characters into description fileds. Oracle takes them fine. Your code breaks when someone uses a '|' character, or maybe a & character.
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting excel to text

Is it possible to convert an excel file into a text file using standard HP UNIX commands? Possibly in K Shell? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

text file to excel or csv

Hi, I have a text file like ---------------------- aaa|bbb|ccc|ddd|eee fff|gggg|hhhhhh|kkkk -------------------- I have a script which will transfer(thourgh FTP) this text file to windows system. But I want to covert it into excel or CSF then upload into windows system.. thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthus2002
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem in converting password protected excel file to csv file in unix

I need to convert a password protected excel file which will be in UNIX server to a comma separated file. For this I need to open the excel file in UNIX box but the UNIX box doesn't prompt for password instead it is opened in an encrypted manner. I could manually ftp the excel file to local... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devivish
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting binary file to readable format in Ksh

In Unix/Ksh, when I try to look inside a file it says that the file may be a binary file and if I want to see it anyway. When i say 'yes', it shows me the content filled with unreadable symbols (looks like binary). Is there a command that I can run from the Unix prompt to convert/translate that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arthurs
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input from a file and converting the answer

Hello all, I am new to unix and i am having probelms. If anyone could help. I am trying to input numbers from a file called data.file The problem i am having is I can input the file but when I hit enter to get the answer onto my output file i get a error message (standard_in) 1: parse error. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nfsrider
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting a text file with irregular spacing into a space delimited text file?

I have a text file with irregular spacing between values which makes it really difficult to manipulate. Is there an easy way to convert it into a space delimited text file so that all the spaces, double spaces, triple spaces, tabs between numbers are converted into spaces. The file looks like this:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting excel to '|' delimiter

Hi All, Can you please suggest me how to convert excel format to ‘|' delimiter file. I need to use perl script Thanks Rama (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: murari83.ds
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting specific Excel file tabs to CSV in Python

Hi list, This is probably something really simple, but I am not particularly familiar with Python so I thought I would ask as I know that python has an excel module. I have an excel document with multiple tabs of data and graphs. One of the tabs is just data which I require to have dumped to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: landossa
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting txt file to Excel file

Hi All, I have a text file with below content. TradeDate Name SecurityMnc ReasonDesc ======================================= 20120501 Robin ABC FO System Defect 20120502 Robin ABC FO System Defect I would want this in an excel file in 4 columns,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: robinbannis
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for converting file to Excel or CSV

Hi I have a dat file which has "n" number of columns. The file is delimited. The number of columns keep varying as the file is generated out of DB queries. Could you please help me in writing a script which will generate a XLS or CSV file out of the dat file. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vee
5 Replies
jim_convert(1)						      General Commands Manual						    jim_convert(1)

NAME
jim_convert, jdic2txt, jsy2vjetxt, jsy2wxtxt, txt2jdic, vje2jsytxt, wx2jsytxt - Convert Japanese text and dictionary files between the JSY, WX, and VJE input methods SYNOPSIS
/usr/i18n/bin/jdic2txt [-v] [jsy-dictionary-filename] /usr/i18n/bin/jsy2vjetxt [jsy-text-filename] [vje-text-filename] /usr/i18n/bin/jsy2wxtxt [jsy-text-filename] [wx-text-filename] /usr/i18n/bin/txt2jdic [[-a] jsy-dictionary-filename] /usr/i18n/bin/vje2jsytxt [vje-text-filename] [jsy-text-filename] /usr/i18n/bin/wx2jsytxt [wx-text-filename] [jsy-text-filename] OPTIONS
Prints conversion statistics to stderr. Appends conversion results to an existing dictionary rather than creating a new dictionary. OPERANDS
Specifies the name of a JSY dictionary file. Specifies the name of a text file in JSY format. Specifies the name of the text file in VJE format. Specifies the name of a text file in WX format. DESCRIPTION
Three Japanese input methods are used on a Tru64 UNIX system: the JSY input method (Compaq), the WX input method (A.I. Soft Company), and the VJE input method (VACS Company). Software for the JSY input method is available in optional Tru64 UNIX subsets for Japanese language support. Software for the other two Japanese input methods is included only with the Japanese Tru64 UNIX product that is sold in Japan. Each of these input methods uses a specialized dictionary for conversion between Kana and Kanji characters. This fact makes it difficult for users to migrate their personal dictionaries from one input method to another, or to create a customized dictionary from a text source file for an existing dictionary. The converters described on this reference page help support customization and migration of private user dictionaries for Kana-Kanji conversion. The converters described on this reference page can be used in combination with utilities supplied with third-party software to migrate Kana-Kanji dictionaries from one input method to another. For the jsy2vjetxt, jsy2wxtxt, vje2jsytxt, and wx2jsytxt converters, both file operands are optional. If neither file is specified, stdin and stdout are used as input and output. If only one file is specified, that file is used as input and stdout is used as output. For the jdic2txt converter, stdin is used as input if the dictionary operand is omitted. The conversion results are always sent to stdout. For the txt2jdic converter, stdin is used as input. If the dictionary file argument is omitted, results are sent to stdout. The following diagrams show how the process for text file and dictionary conversion differs, depending on the input method format. In these diagrams, wx3ent and wx31st are utilities packaged with the WX input method software, and vuty is a utility packaged with the VJE input method software. The following diagrams show the process for converting dictionaries to text files using the same input method format: Text file in JSY format -> txt2jdic -> JSY dictionary JSY dictionary -> jdic2txt -> Text file in JSY format Text file in WX format -> wx3ent -> WX dictionary WX dictionary -> wx31st -> Text file in WX format Text file in VJE format -> vuty -> VJE dictionary VJE dictionary -> vuty -> Text file in VJE format The following diagrams show the process for converting text files from one input method format to another: Text file in JSY format -> jsy2wxtxt -> Text file in WX format Text file in JSY format -> jsy2vjetxt -> Text file in VJE format Text file in WX format -> wx2jsytxt -> Text file in JSY format Text file in VJE format -> vje2jsytxt -> Text file in JSY format The following diagrams show the process for converting dictionaries from one input method to another: JSY dict. -> jdic2txt -> jsy2wxtxt -> wx3ent -> WX dict. JSY dict. -> jdic2txt -> jsy2vjetxt -> vuty -> VJE dict. WX dict. -> wx31st -> wx2jsytxt -> txt2jdic -> JSY dict. VJE dict. -> vuty -> vje2jsytxt -> txt2jdic -> JSY dict. FILES
Directory where converters reside. SEE ALSO
Japanese(5) jim_convert(1)