Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Help to filter read through reference file by using c language Post 302541701 by Corona688 on Monday 25th of July 2011 11:00:43 AM
Old 07-25-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by yazu
3. You need strings, not char buffers, so after reading add '\0' to the end of string (you should remember the value from fgets - use auxiliary variable).
If fgets didn't null-terminate for you, how could you possibly know where the NULL belongs? fgets terminates for you, like most string functions.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read from a file then filter the output

Hi i need a script which reads a certain file and then display it on the screen. The thing is i need to filter the display output. this is an example of the file which is to be loaded in the script. asdfg1.1.1|98 hjkldfe4.0.3|123 asdzxzvdweradfsdafascv10.0.10|123456789... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: khestoi
1 Replies

2. Programming

How to read the CTS and DSR of RS232 in Unix using C language?

Hello to all Gurus out there, Could you show me a source code in Unix platform using C language. I want to read the status or voltage level of the DSR and CTS. Thanks a lot, Swing5 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Swing5
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data

hi all, I have this file with some user data. example: $cat myfile.txt FName|LName|Gender|Company|Branch|Bday|Salary|Age aaaa|bbbb|male|cccc|dddd|19900814|15000|20| eeee|asdg|male|gggg|ksgu|19911216||| aara|bdbm|male|kkkk|acke|19931018||23| asad|kfjg|male|kkkc|gkgg|19921213|14000|24|... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srimal
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk language reference: book

Gurus, I am looking for a book on Awk programming. A quick Google search gave me Amazon.com: The AWK Programming Language (9780201079814): Alfred V. Aho, Brian W. Kernighan, Peter J. Weinberger: Books by Alfred Aho. Is there anything other than that? Any advice? Thanks. Al. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alan
1 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Any way we can create an SMTP server and use any scripting language to read emails from that server

Is there any way to create an SMTP mail server will all granular permissions to it so that I can read emails which that server receives through any scripting language and also reply from the same server automatically? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepcm
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl de-reference code reference variable

Guys, May i know how can we de reference the code reference variable.? my $a = sub{$a=shift;$b=shift;print "SUM:",($a+$b),"\n";}; print $a->(4,5); How can we print the whole function ? Please suggest me regarding this. Thanks for your time :) Cheers, Ranga :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rangarasan
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data Shell Programming and Scripting

sxsaaas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikrantD
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filter records in a huge text file from a filter text file

Hi Folks, I have a text file with lots of rows with duplicates in the first column, i want to filter out records based on filter columns in a different filter text file. bash scripting is what i need. Data.txt Name OrderID Quantity Sam 123 300 Jay 342 498 Kev 78 2500 Sam 420 50 Vic 10... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keeping record of file 2 based on a reference file 1 in awk

I have 2 input files (tab separated): file1: make_A 1990 foo bar make_B 2010 this that make_C 2004 these those file2: make_X 1970 1995 ref_1:43 ref_2:65 make_A 1970 1995 ref_1:4 ref_2:21 ref_3:18 make_A 1980 2002 ref_1:7 ref_2:7 ref_3:0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk to replace values in one file using a second reference file

Hi, I'd be grateful for your help with the following: I have a file with a single column (file1). Let's say the values are: a b c 5 d I have a second, reference file (ref_file), which is colon-delimited, and is effectively a key. Let's say the values in it are: a:1 b:2 c:3 d:4... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aberg
4 Replies
FGETS(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  FGETS(3)

NAME
fgets, gets -- get a line from a stream LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> char * fgets(char * restrict str, int size, FILE * restrict stream); char * gets(char *str); DESCRIPTION
The fgets() function reads at most one less than the number of characters specified by size from the given stream and stores them in the string str. Reading stops when a newline character is found, at end-of-file or error. The newline, if any, is retained, and a '' charac- ter is appended to end the string. The gets() function is equivalent to fgets() with an infinite size and a stream of stdin, except that the newline character (if any) is not stored in the string. It is the caller's responsibility to ensure that the input line, if any, is sufficiently short to fit in the string. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, fgets() and gets() return a pointer to the string. If end-of-file or an error occurs before any characters are read, they return NULL. The fgets() and gets() functions do not distinguish between end-of-file and error, and callers must use feof(3) and ferror(3) to determine which occurred. ERRORS
[EBADF] The given stream is not a readable stream. The function fgets() may also fail and set errno for any of the errors specified for the routines fflush(3), fstat(2), read(2), or malloc(3). The function gets() may also fail and set errno for any of the errors specified for the routine getchar(3). SEE ALSO
feof(3), ferror(3), fgetln(3) STANDARDS
The functions fgets() and gets() conform to ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89'') and IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). The IEEE Std 1003.1-2008 (``POSIX.1'') revision marked gets() as obsolescent. CAVEATS
The following bit of code illustrates a case where the programmer assumes a string is too long if it does not contain a newline: char buf[1024], *p; while (fgets(buf, sizeof(buf), fp) != NULL) { if ((p = strchr(buf, ' ')) == NULL) { fprintf(stderr, "input line too long. "); exit(1); } *p = ''; printf("%s ", buf); } While the error would be true if a line longer than 1023 characters were read, it would be false in two other cases: 1. If the last line in a file does not contain a newline, the string returned by fgets() will not contain a newline either. Thus strchr() will return NULL and the program will terminate, even if the line was valid. 2. All C string functions, including strchr(), correctly assume the end of the string is represented by a null ('') character. If the first character of a line returned by fgets() were null, strchr() would immediately return without considering the rest of the returned text which may indeed include a newline. Consider using fgetln(3) instead when dealing with untrusted input. SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS
Since it is usually impossible to ensure that the next input line is less than some arbitrary length, and because overflowing the input buf- fer is almost invariably a security violation, programs should NEVER use gets(). The gets() function exists purely to conform to ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89''). BSD
May 13, 2010 BSD