Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: crontab is not working.
Operating Systems Solaris crontab is not working. Post 302541475 by agama on Sunday 24th of July 2011 09:36:09 PM
Old 07-24-2011
I would do a few things:

1) redirect stdout and stderr of the script some place
2) supply the full path of the script. ./scriptname is bad form. Makes the assumption that cron sets the working directory to the directory that the script resides in. May or may not be the case, but don't risk it.
3) Add a !# line to the script and remove sh from the command line in the crontab.

Code:
3 * * * *  /home/root/bin/sicaklik.sh >/tmp/sicaklik.log 2>&1

This is a guess as to the path of the script but should illustrate what I mean.

Code:
#!/bin/sh 
/usr/sbin/ipmitool sdr type temperature  | grep T_AMB > /sicaklik.temp 
scp /sicaklik.temp 192.168.40.184:/usr/local/nagios/temp.temp

Adding the #! will cause the script to be run with sh.

Last edited by agama; 07-24-2011 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: clarification

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab not working right

I am having problems with a sparc5 solaris 7 box, when i try to edit cron, (crontab -e as root), it says $ crontab -e 0 and then nothing, if i enter anything it errors out but does accept q for quit. But doesn't bring up my editor of the cron file. How can I troubleshoot this? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

crontab NOT working

Hi, I have put the following entry in crontab and it is NOT working 1 * * * * && /mybin/myjob.sh As today is Sep 26th, Iam using NF-4 to test. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baanprog
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

crontab not working

Dear all We have SunOS 5.10 Generic_127127-11 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V250 i have scheduled cronjob but its not working Crontab details 15 15 * * * /d5/oratest/testdb/hotbackup_new.sh TEST247 15 15 * * * mkdir -p rajesh /d4/appltest Crontab log details > CMD: mkdir... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh_hv
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab not working

Hi, I had setup crontab to execute my script every day midnight 00:00 Below are the current settings. crontab -l 0 0 * * * /apps/bin/compress.ksh_moht > /dev/null 2>&1 Should it not work? I need help fix this? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shifahim
8 Replies

5. Red Hat

crontab is not working!!

I can run manually script of ntopdump.sh but crontab can't run this script very five minutes. # crontab -l */3 * * * * root sh /root/ping.sh */5 * * * * root sh /root/ntopdump.sh # # pwd /root # ls -l total 88 -rwxrwxr-x 1 root root 1645 Jun 14 19:01 anaconda-ks.cfg drwxrwxr-x 2 root... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
14 Replies

6. Solaris

crontab not working

Shell = ksh Hi all, I scheduled an automated job on my application server like below, 30 13 * * 1-5 $HOME/my_script.sh However the script was not executed as expected. Any reason that may cause this to happen? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: isaacniu
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Crontab not working, please help

Hi, When I set the crontab to run every minute, every hour, it works fine. * * * * * env > /tmp/env.output However I want to run it every day at 8:00 AM and it does not run. * 8 * * * env > /tmp/env.output I ran the 'date' command which says it's 8AM PST and also the 'TZ'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: samantha13
0 Replies

8. Linux

Crontab not working

Hi, I know this is a common topic. I'm trying to launch a perl script using a contab -e entry. I've been trying diff options but nothing seems to work: My cron is running: UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD root 3755 1 0 Nov27 ? 00:00:00 crond This... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krebe
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab not working

Hi All, I have a script with deatils as : $ ls -ld catch_logs.sh -rwx--x--x 1 muser muser 752 Jun 5 22:36 catch_logs.sh User crontab looks likes: $ crontab -l SHELL=/bin/bash PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin * * * * * /opt/scripts/catch_logs.sh Now if I run this script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
7 Replies

10. Red Hat

Crontab is not working

Dear Friends, I have Red Hat Linux Enterprise version 6.3. running SAP and oracle. I have created one crontab for user orasid to execute one job periodically. But it is not executing. I have checked crontab service is running. Please help in the matter. Regards, Bhagawati Pandey (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BPANDEY
5 Replies
PPERL(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 PPERL(1p)

NAME
PPerl - Make perl scripts persistent in memory SYNOPSIS
$ pperl foo.pl DESCRIPTION
This program turns ordinary perl scripts into long running daemons, making subsequent executions extremely fast. It forks several processes for each script, allowing many processes to call the script at once. It works a lot like SpeedyCGI, but is written a little differently. I didn't use the SpeedyCGI codebase, because I couldn't get it to compile, and needed something ASAP. The easiest way to use this is to change your shebang line from: #!/usr/bin/perl -w To use pperl instead: #!/usr/bin/pperl -w WARNINGS
Like other persistent environments, this one has problems with things like BEGIN blocks, global variables, etc. So beware, and try checking the mod_perl guide at http://perl.apache.org/guide/ for lots of information that applies to many persistent perl environments. Parameters $ pperl <perl params> -- <pperl params> scriptname <script params> The perl params are sent to the perl binary the first time it is started up. See perlrun for details. The pperl params control how pperl works. Try -h for an overview. The script params are passed to the script on every invocation. The script also gets any current environment variables, the current working directory, and everything on STDIN. Killing In order to kill a currently running PPerl process, use: pperl -- -k <scriptname> You need to make sure the path to the script is the same as when it was invoked. Alternatively look for a .pid file for the script in your tmp directory, and kill (with SIGINT) the process with that PID. ENVIRONMENT
pperl uses the PPERL_TMP_PATH environment variable to determine the directory where to store the files used for inter-process communication. By default, the subdirectory .pperl of the user's home directory is used. BUGS
The process does not reload when the script or modules change. $^S is not represented identically with respect to perl, since your script will be run within an eval block AUTHOR
Matt Sergeant, matt@sergeant.org. Copyright 2001 MessageLabs Ltd. SEE ALSO
perl. perlrun. perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 PPERL(1p)