Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unix random number generate in given range Post 302541260 by drl on Saturday 23rd of July 2011 11:03:09 AM
Old 07-23-2011
Hi.
Code:
shuf -i 10-30 -n 1

produces, in 3 separate runs:
Code:
% shuf -i 10-30 -n 1
% shuf -i 10-30 -n 1

The shuf utility is part of GNU coreutils, Coreutils - GNU core utilities which you could download, configure, compile, etc., if your system does not have coreutils installed or available via your package manager -- easier for Linux than for one of the Unix systems, Solaris, *BSD, etc.

Many features, see on-line man page is at: shuf(1): make random permutations - Linux man page

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to generate a random number?

How to generate a random integer with specific range(for example, from 1 to 1000)? Also, how to convert a floating point number into a integer? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MacMonster
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

generate random number in korn shell

I want to be able to generate a random number within a korn shell script.. Preferably i would like to be able to state how many digits should be in this random number... ie 4 digits or 5 digits etc Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

generate random number in perl

Could any one tell how can I generate random number from (0, 100..200) in perl? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zx1106
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating random number within a specific range (0.5-1.5)

Hello, need a way to generate numbers within 0.5-1.5 range Has to be totally random: 0.6 1.1 0.8 1.5 0.6 and so on.... How to? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
10 Replies

5. Programming

Generate random number

I saw this formula to generate random number between two specified values in shell script.the following. $(((RANDOM%(max-min+divisibleBy))/divisibleBy*divisibleBy+min)) Give a example in book. Generate random number between 6 and 30.like this. $(((RANDOM%30/3+1)*3)) But I have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: luoluo
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to generate random number as as the first column of a txt file

Dear all, I have a question. I have a txt file say 4000 rows X 1800 Column. I 'd like to creat a new column as the first column which is a column of random numbers (n=4000) thanks a lot! Lin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Help with random pick 1000 number from range 1 to 150000

Hi, Do anybody knows how to use awk or any command to random print out 1000 number which start from range 1 to 150000? I know that "rand" in awk can do similar random selection. But I have no idea how to write a code that can random pick 1000 number from range 1 to 150000 :confused: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating Random Number in certain range

Hi there I am trying to generate a random number between 40 and 70 using the shell here is my code so far and it keeps going above 70. all help much appreciated! comp=$(( RANDOM%70+40 )) echo $comp (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: faintingquiche
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with generate a pair of random number

Hi, Is anybody experience generate a pair of random number by using awk command? I wanna to generate a pair of random number (range from 1 to 4124) and repeats it 416 times. Desired output 2 326 123 1256 341 14 3245 645 . . . I did write the below command: awk... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
5 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Generate a random number in a fully POSIX compliant shell, 'dash'...

Hi all... Apologies for any typos, etc... This took a while but it didn't beat me... Although there are many methods of generating random numbers in a POSIX shell this uses integer maths and a simple C source to create an executable to get epoch to microseconds accuracy if it is needed. I take... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
8 Replies
SHUF(1) 							   User Commands							   SHUF(1)

NAME
shuf - generate random permutations SYNOPSIS
shuf [OPTION]... [FILE] shuf -e [OPTION]... [ARG]... shuf -i LO-HI [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
Write a random permutation of the input lines to standard output. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -e, --echo treat each ARG as an input line -i, --input-range=LO-HI treat each number LO through HI as an input line -n, --head-count=COUNT output at most COUNT lines -o, --output=FILE write result to FILE instead of standard output --random-source=FILE get random bytes from FILE -z, --zero-terminated end lines with 0 byte, not newline --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. AUTHOR
Written by Paul Eggert. REPORTING BUGS
Report shuf bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report shuf translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for shuf is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and shuf programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'shuf invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.12.197-032bb September 2011 SHUF(1)