Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to retrieve a file from specific path using unix script? Post 302541234 by fresher on Saturday 23rd of July 2011 07:25:29 AM
Old 07-23-2011
How to retrieve a file from specific path using unix script?

Hi i'm new to shell script,
i want to get the filename from specific location which i mentioned in my script.
The scirpt should read the filename exactly using the following command "ls -ltr | tail -1".

Could someone show me on this. Below is my script
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
PATH=  /usr/
if [ -d $PATH ]
then
  echo "is a directory"
  filename = $ls -ltr | tail -1
fi

Last edited by Franklin52; 07-23-2011 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for data and code samples, thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Retrieve line from a file based on a value in specific column

Hi, I have a file that has several values seperated by ":" 2006:John:Student:Football:Portugal:Cinema 2006:James:Engineer:Basket:Poland:Theatre 2007:Lucy:Diver:Gymnastic:England:Music 2007:Smith:Plumber:Basket:Spain:Poker I need make a filter based on the 5th field to find countries that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: efernandes
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

(cont) Retrieve line from a file based on a value in specific column

HI, Your help was great: awk -F":" '$5 ~ /^P/{print }' file I would like to know what changes need to be done to this line code, so that I can put it in a shell script and call it as the example below. example: countries that start with chacater 'P' > country P Result: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: efernandes
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do we retrieve a line from a file in unix

we need to capture a record from a file in to a variable and do modifications to it .. so capturing line by line in a file in to some variable (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lmadhuri
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to retrieve required specific info from the file

Hi I have a file which consists of a number in the square brackets, followed by the blank line, then several lines which describe this number. This pattern is repeated several thousands time. The number in the brackets and the decription of it is unique. For example: ASRVSERV=1241GD;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a path of a specific file

Hi, A variable value is /home/samir/datas/data.txt I want /home/samir/datas. How can I get that. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: samir_standing
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

retrieve part of file path

Hi I am trying to use sed to retrieve part of my html file's path. I am having a hard time getting what I want. Could someone give me some help? I want to retrieve the section after html and before the file name For example if I have the following, ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger66
3 Replies

7. Programming

How can i retrieve some specific lines from a file using C

Plz tel me how to retrieve some specific set of lines from a file and store it in a char buffer.I am seperating each record by ":" 22:abc:4 hardware:cd:xyz:2 hardware:eth:abc:6 hardware:mouse:xyz:3 hardware:ram:xyz:1 23:cde:3 hardware:cd:xyz:2 hardware:eth:abc:6 hardware:ram:xyz:1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vigneshinbox
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to retrieve the word between 2 specific words with shell script

Hi, I have a file content like: : : <span class="ColorRed"> 1.23</span><br> : : the value 1.23 will be changed from time to time, and I want to use a shell script command, e.g grep or sed, to retrieve only the value, how to do it? Thanks! Victor (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorcheung
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i run sql queries from UNIX shell script and retrieve data into text docs of UNIX?

Please share the doc asap as very urgently required. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 24ajay
1 Replies
WHICH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  WHICH(1)

NAME
which - shows the full path of (shell) commands. SYNOPSIS
which [options] [--] programname [...] DESCRIPTION
Which takes one or more arguments. For each of its arguments it prints to stdout the full path of the executables that would have been exe- cuted when this argument had been entered at the shell prompt. It does this by searching for an executable or script in the directories listed in the environment variable PATH using the same algorithm as bash(1). This man page is generated from the file which.texinfo. OPTIONS
--all, -a Print all matching executables in PATH, not just the first. --read-alias, -i Read aliases from stdin, reporting matching ones on stdout. This is useful in combination with using an alias for which itself. For example alias which='alias | which -i'. --skip-alias Ignore option `--read-alias', if any. This is useful to explicity search for normal binaries, while using the `--read-alias' option in an alias or function for which. --read-functions Read shell function definitions from stdin, reporting matching ones on stdout. This is useful in combination with using a shell func- tion for which itself. For example: which() { declare -f | which --read-functions $@ } export -f which --skip-functions Ignore option `--read-functions', if any. This is useful to explicity search for normal binaries, while using the `--read-functions' option in an alias or function for which. --skip-dot Skip directories in PATH that start with a dot. --skip-tilde Skip directories in PATH that start with a tilde and executables which reside in the HOME directory. --show-dot If a directory in PATH starts with a dot and a matching executable was found for that path, then print "./programname" rather than the full path. --show-tilde Output a tilde when a directory matches the HOME directory. This option is ignored when which is invoked as root. --tty-only Stop processing options on the right if not on tty. --version,-v,-V Print version information on standard output then exit successfully. --help Print usage information on standard output then exit successfully. RETURN VALUE
Which returns the number of failed arguments, or -1 when no `programname' was given. EXAMPLE
The recommended way to use this utility is by adding an alias (C shell) or shell function (Bourne shell) for which like the following: [ba]sh: which () { (alias; declare -f) | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --read-functions --show-tilde --show-dot $@ } export -f which [t]csh: alias which 'alias | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --show-dot --show-tilde' This will print the readable ~/ and ./ when starting which from your prompt, while still printing the full path when used from a script: > which q2 ~/bin/q2 > echo `which q2` /home/carlo/bin/q2 BUGS
The HOME directory is determined by looking for the HOME environment variable, which aborts when this variable doesn't exist. Which will consider two equivalent directories to be different when one of them contains a path with a symbolic link. AUTHOR
Carlo Wood <carlo@gnu.org> SEE ALSO
bash(1) WHICH(1)