Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed command to remove the first field from a '|' delimited file Post 302541172 by var285 on Friday 22nd of July 2011 04:40:08 PM
Old 07-22-2011
Thank you Shell_Life and Mirni..
Mirni
For sed i am getting error when i use -i option
Code:
> sed -i 's/^[^|]*|//' FINAL.output
sed: illegal option -- i
Usage: sed [-n] [-e script] [-f source_file] [file...]

But i was able to use by redirecting it
Code:
sed 's/^[^|]*|//' FINAL.output > FINAL.output.new

But i dont want to create a temporary file. Do we have any option to edit within the same file.
Shell_life
Thanks, I was using wrong option. Is it possible to redirect the output to same file?

Thanks
Var

Last edited by radoulov; 07-22-2011 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: Code tags, please!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing a field in pipe delimited TEXT File

Hi, I want to replace a field in a text delimited file with the actual number of records in the same file. HDR|ABCD|10-13-2008 to 10-19-2008.txt|10-19-2008|XYZ DTL|0|5464-1|0|02-02-2008|02-03-2008||||F||||||||| DTL|1|5464-1|1|02-02-2008|02-03-2008|1||JJJ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi0435
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count field frequency in a '|' delimited file

I have a large file with fields delimited by '|', and I want to run some analysis on it. What I want to do is count how many times each field is populated, or list the frequency of population for each field. I am in a Sun OS environment. Thanks, - CB (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert a field into a tab delimited file

Hello, Can someone help me to do this with awk or sed? I have a file with multiple lines, each line has many fields separated with a tab. I would like to add one more field holding 'na' in between the first and second fields. old file looks like, 1, field1 field2 field3 ... 2, field1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssshen
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert Field into a tab-delimited file

Hello, I have about 100 files in a directory with fields which are tab delimited. I would like to append the file name as the first field and it has to be done as many times as the total lines in the file. For example, myFile1.txt has the following data: 1 x y z 2 a b ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to use sed to remove the value of one field from another field

I'm trying to use sed to remove the value of one field from another field. For example: cat inputfile 123|ABC|Generic_Textjoe@yahoo.com|joe@yahoo.com|DEF 456|GHI|Other_recordjohn@msn.com|john@msn.com|JKL 789|MNO|No_Email_On_This_One|smith@gmail.com|PQR I would like to remove the email... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bribri87
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pad zeroes first field in a Delimited file

Need help. I tried using an awk command to pad zeroes. Unfortunately, the "|" pipe delimited character is gone when I tried to write the records to another file. awk -F \| ' {$1=sprintf("%06s", $1); print $0}' $CUSTFINAL2 > $CUSTFINAL3 BEFORE "KEYRECORD"|"SA ID"|"PER ID"|"SP ID"|"ACCT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnhips
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

add new 'date field' in a pipe delimited file

i need to add a new field in a pipe delimited line. the field will be the current date today. aa|a|s|w|1 as|oiy|oiy|oiy|2 given that all lines are uniformed in the number of fields i want it to look like this:\ aa|a|s|w|1|20120126 as|oiy|oiy|oiy|2|20120126 please help :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kokoro
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Last field from a delimited file

Hi, I have a '~' delimited file and i want to remove the last field using awk. Please find the sample records below: 1428128~1~0~1100426~003~50220~005~14~0~194801~11~0~3~14~0~50419052335~0~0820652001~2~00653862 ~0~1~0~00126~1~20000110~20110423~R~ ~0~Z~1662.94~ ~002041~0045~Z~... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun Mishra
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove alphabets/special characters/space in the 5th field of a tab delimited file?

Thank you for 4 looking this post. We have a tab delimited file where we are facing problem in a lot of funny character. I have tried using awk but failed that is not working. In the 5th field ID which is supposed to be a integer only of that file, we are getting corrupted data as below. I... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Srithar
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace field in the delimited file

Hi, I have the requirement similar to the one mentioned in the below thread. https://www.unix.com/unix-for-dummies-questions-and-answers/128155-search-replace-string-only-particular-column-delimited-file.html The only difference is that I need to change the field for row 1,2 and the last... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetanojha
14 Replies
CUT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CUT(1)

NAME
cut -- select portions of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file ...] cut -c list [file ...] cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cut utility selects portions of each line (as specified by list) from each file and writes them to the standard output. If no file argu- ments are specified, or a file argument is a single dash ('-'), cut reads from from the standard input. The items specified by list can be in terms of column position or in terms of fields delimited by a special character. Column numbering starts from 1. The list option argument is a comma or whitespace separated set of increasing numbers and/or number ranges. Number ranges consist of a num- ber, a dash ('-'), and a second number and select the fields or columns from the first number to the second, inclusive. Numbers or number ranges may be preceded by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from 1 to the first number. Numbers or number ranges may be followed by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from the last number to the end of the line. Numbers and number ranges may be repeated, over- lapping, and in any order. It is not an error to select fields or columns not present in the input line. The options are as follows: -b list The list specifies byte positions. -c list The list specifies character positions. -d delim Use the first character of delim as the field delimiter character instead of the tab character. -f list The list specifies fields, delimited in the input by a single tab character. Output fields are separated by a single tab character. -n Do not split multi-byte characters. -s Suppress lines with no field delimiter characters. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through unmodified. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of cut if the -n option is specified. Their effect is described in environ(7). EXAMPLES
Extract users' login names and shells from the system passwd(5) file as ``name:shell'' pairs: cut -d : -f 1,7 /etc/passwd Show the names and login times of the currently logged in users: who | cut -c 1-16,26-38 DIAGNOSTICS
The cut utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
paste(1) STANDARDS
The cut utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). HISTORY
A cut command appeared in AT&T System III UNIX. BUGS
The -c option is a synonym for the -b option, which causes incorrect behaviour in locales that support multibyte characters. When operating on fields (-f option is specified), cut does not recognise multibyte characters, and the delim character is recognised in the middle of multibyte sequences. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD