Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: User administration
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting User administration Post 302541144 by mirni on Friday 22nd of July 2011 03:12:08 PM
Old 07-22-2011
First of all, what shell are you using?

Ad 1. For bash, there is a HISTFILE env var, that is usually set to ~/.bash_history, and thus is kept separate for each user. It sounds like your history file is shared among users...

Ad 2. I don't have a specific way of how to accomplish this fine granularity of logging, but some ideas that you could further follow:
- Try to set up ~/.bash_logout to append $HISTFILE to some global history file.
- Set up a trap (in e.g. /etc/profile) that gets executed when user logs out and harvest history this way:
Code:
trap 'cat $HISTFILE >> /tmp/hist.all ;exit 0' 0

- use 'w' command to get an idea of who's logged in and what they are doing, from cron

Disabling erasing of history -- first I though that could be done through /etc/sudoers, but history is a builtin....

Sorry I am not of more help, but I thought I might help with some brainstorming...

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

remote user administration

Hello, I inhearited several solaris machines (read that about 30 of them) and have a need to be able to manage the user accounts remotely.... Currently the machines all have the same users but not exactly the same spelling (each machine was locally managed before and thus every single passwd/shadow... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wgriffin
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User Administration

I have an application that runs on Unix and the user administration is managed at a Unix level. The application has an application ID which is linked to the user ids which are created at Unix level. Can you please help if I can be able to track which user used the Application ID and what action was... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kopano
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tru64 User administration

Hey guys how do you check if an account is locked in tru64, and how do you unlock it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sbn
1 Replies

4. Solaris

user administration

hi ' i am creating a primary group and a secondary group for a user. #groupadd -g 101 test #groupadd -g 102 test1 #useradd -d /export/home/user1 -m -s /bin/ksh -g test -G test user1 in /etc/passwd i can find the username as user1 and group name as test and where can i find the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhudeepan
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris User Administration

Hi All..... How many maximum no of users can be created in solaris 10.0 Waiting for the reply ..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendhils13
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris User Administration

unable to run smgroup / smadd command to create or modify the users and directories. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sendhils13
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Zone administration

hi frnds I created sparse root zone, in that zone when i try to change the passwd it is giving permission denied. what is the reason and how to chnage the root passwd in the zone. can u please explain the query. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravan ega
4 Replies

8. AIX

AIX user administration - queue management

Dear All Please how can I create a user which would be only able to manage queue printer like creating, release, hold etc a printer queue. He would for example be able to enter commands like : - lpstat -pprintqueue where printqueue is an existing queue on the server - enable printqueue... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sobnc
0 Replies
Devel::REPL::Plugin::ReadLineHistory(3pm)		User Contributed Perl Documentation		 Devel::REPL::Plugin::ReadLineHistory(3pm)

NAME
Devel::REPL::Plugin::ReadLineHistory - Integrate history with the facilities provided by Term::ReadLine DESCRIPTION
This plugin enables loading and saving command line history from a file as well has history expansion of previous commands using the !-syntax a la bash. By default, history expansion is enabled with this plugin when using Term::ReadLine::Gnu. That means that "loose" '!' characters will be treated as history events which may not be what you wish. To avoid this, you need to quote the '!' with '': my $var = "foo!"; or place the arguments in single quotes---but enable the "Term::ReadLine" attribute "history_quotes_inhibit_expansion": $_REPL->term->Attribs->{history_quotes_inhibit_expansion} = 1; my $var = 'foo!'; and to disable history expansion from GNU readline/history do $_REPL->term->Attribs->{do_expand} = 0; CONFLICTS
Note that Term::ReadLine::Perl does not support a history expansion method. In that case, you may wish to use the Devel::REPL History plugin which provides similar functions. Work is underway to make use of either History or ReadLineHistory consistent for expansion with either the Term::ReadLine::Gnu support or Term::ReadLine::Perl. perl v5.14.2 2010-06-13 Devel::REPL::Plugin::ReadLineHistory(3pm)