Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unix random number generate in given range Post 302541071 by gr8_usk on Friday 22nd of July 2011 10:43:21 AM
Old 07-22-2011
Thanks Panyam for your useful & quick help, this is what I wanted to do. :-)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to generate a random number?

How to generate a random integer with specific range(for example, from 1 to 1000)? Also, how to convert a floating point number into a integer? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MacMonster
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

generate random number in korn shell

I want to be able to generate a random number within a korn shell script.. Preferably i would like to be able to state how many digits should be in this random number... ie 4 digits or 5 digits etc Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

generate random number in perl

Could any one tell how can I generate random number from (0, 100..200) in perl? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zx1106
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating random number within a specific range (0.5-1.5)

Hello, need a way to generate numbers within 0.5-1.5 range Has to be totally random: 0.6 1.1 0.8 1.5 0.6 and so on.... How to? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
10 Replies

5. Programming

Generate random number

I saw this formula to generate random number between two specified values in shell script.the following. $(((RANDOM%(max-min+divisibleBy))/divisibleBy*divisibleBy+min)) Give a example in book. Generate random number between 6 and 30.like this. $(((RANDOM%30/3+1)*3)) But I have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: luoluo
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to generate random number as as the first column of a txt file

Dear all, I have a question. I have a txt file say 4000 rows X 1800 Column. I 'd like to creat a new column as the first column which is a column of random numbers (n=4000) thanks a lot! Lin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Help with random pick 1000 number from range 1 to 150000

Hi, Do anybody knows how to use awk or any command to random print out 1000 number which start from range 1 to 150000? I know that "rand" in awk can do similar random selection. But I have no idea how to write a code that can random pick 1000 number from range 1 to 150000 :confused: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating Random Number in certain range

Hi there I am trying to generate a random number between 40 and 70 using the shell here is my code so far and it keeps going above 70. all help much appreciated! comp=$(( RANDOM%70+40 )) echo $comp (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: faintingquiche
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with generate a pair of random number

Hi, Is anybody experience generate a pair of random number by using awk command? I wanna to generate a pair of random number (range from 1 to 4124) and repeats it 416 times. Desired output 2 326 123 1256 341 14 3245 645 . . . I did write the below command: awk... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
5 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Generate a random number in a fully POSIX compliant shell, 'dash'...

Hi all... Apologies for any typos, etc... This took a while but it didn't beat me... Although there are many methods of generating random numbers in a POSIX shell this uses integer maths and a simple C source to create an executable to get epoch to microseconds accuracy if it is needed. I take... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
8 Replies
XkbNoteNameChanges(3)						   XKB FUNCTIONS					     XkbNoteNameChanges(3)

NAME
XkbNoteNameChanges - Note the changed names in a changes structure SYNOPSIS
void XkbNoteNameChanges (XkbNameChangesPtr old, XkbNamesNotifyEvent *new, unsigned int wanted); ARGUMENTS
- old XkbNameChanges structure to be updated - new event from which changes are to be copied - wanted types of names for which changes are to be noted DESCRIPTION
When your application receives a XkbNamesNotify event, you can note the changed names in a changes structure using XkbNoteNameChanges. The wanted parameter is the bitwise inclusive OR of the valid names mask bits shown in Table 1. XkbNoteNameChanges copies any changes that are reported in new and specified in wanted into the changes record specified by old. Table 1 Symbolic Names Masks --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Mask Bit Value Keyboard Field Component --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- XkbKeycodesNameMask (1<<0) Xkb->names keycodes XkbGeometryNameMask (1<<1) Xkb->names geometry XkbSymbolsNameMask (1<<2) Xkb->names symbols XkbPhysSymbolsNameMask (1<<3) Xkb->names phys_symbols XkbTypesNameMask (1<<4) Xkb->names type XkbCompatNameMask (1<<5) Xkb->names compat XkbKeyTypeNamesMask (1<<6) Xkb->map type[*].name XkbKTLevelNamesMask (1<<7) Xkb->map type[*].lvl_names[*] XkbIndicatorNamesMask (1<<8) Xkb->names indicators[*] XkbKeyNamesMask (1<<9) Xkb->names keys[*], num_keys XkbKeyAliasesMask (1<<10) Xkb->names key_aliases[*], num_key_aliases XkbVirtualModNamesMask (1<<11) Xkb->names vmods[*] XkbGroupNamesMask (1<<12) Xkb->names groups[*] XkbRGNamesMask (1<<13) Xkb->names radio_groups[*], num_rg XkbComponentNamesMask (0x3f) Xkb->names keycodes, geometry, symbols, physical symbols, types, and compatibility map XkbAllNamesMask (0x3fff) Xkb->names all name components X Version 11 libX11 1.5.0 XkbNoteNameChanges(3)