Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Help building a home network needed. Post 302540816 by theKbStockpiler on Thursday 21st of July 2011 04:14:10 PM
Old 07-21-2011
Thanks for the Reply!

Since I'm a nix enthusiast ;and not just trying to accomplish a task , I would like to get some experience with Plip. I have been digging into this subject because I was going to study Apache but networking is important also and I need a network to do this.. With Windows it looks like there is a hardware faction and a software faction to networking so I tried to find some (Network Manager) info. My distro has system-config-network 1.6.1 and as you may have guessed there is no option for plip. There is one for Tokenring but I can't find even remote info on that subject that is close to practical. So it looks like Network Managers is pivotal to this venture that I can download and configure. If I can't acquire a Manage for Plip than I will have to go another route. I'm not totally apposed to a NIC but it is not my first choice.

My client computer currently has and outdated version of Fedora but is working well. I have a lot of applications installed on it and no problems as of yet so I will be leaving this O.S as is. For the Server I was thinking of Installing Centos.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

home network not working!

i just linked 2 100MHz Linux kernel 2.4.2 boxes togeather using a direct cable connection, on two 3Com PCI network cards, using the EtherLink III chipset. Unfortuanately, when I boot both PCs, i get a loading interface: eth0 for five minutes, then a failed flag. No networking suppt. in windows,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boris888
2 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

XP Pro: home network

having trouble with my home XP Network. I have 2 machine running xp but the server cant access or see the second computer. Both can ping each other and i have file and printer sharing installed. HD'S are sharded. Any ideas ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perleo
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Home Network Storage Solution.

Hi All... I have never really touched any form of unix so any help would be appraciated. I am looking at creating/building another PC to add to my network for storage purposes only. Would unix be the best OS to use in this situation as all I have available to me is a very low end PC. As... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Merlyn
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why /home and /packages are network based?

Does anyone noe why /home n /packages r usually kept remotely..as in network base by administrators?is it because of security reasons??? thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rave77us
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Linux on/in a home network

I recently received an e-mail from "the faculty" at Unix-dot-Com and I was reminded of this notable resource for folks learning about Unix and its clone, Linux. I hadn't posted anything in two years and during that time, I have been working, in my spare time, on a home network combining two Linux... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Annatar
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to configure routing on home network

I have a Windows laptop and a Sparc desktop. I'm trying to toy around with routing. If have always on broadband from BT. My router ipaddress is: 192.168.1.1 This router uses DHCP. My Laptop Ip is as follows: Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kongowea
2 Replies

7. Linux

Need help w/home network

Hello world! I'm writing to you from Chile, Southamerica, and need a little help with my tiny home netwk. Hope you can give me a hand because this thing is breaking my balls. This is what i have: 1 windows box with XP pro (server) 1 linux box with DSL (box) 1 wrt54gl router with dd-wrt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: juanpedro
1 Replies

8. IP Networking

ssh into home network

I am trying to ssh from my computer at work into my home PC. My work computer is running mac os x 10.6.3, home PC is running ubuntu. At home I have multiple PC's hooked up through a router and modem. I have gone into the router settings and set up port forwarding to forward ports 22 and 175 to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluejayek
9 Replies

9. IP Networking

DHCP and DNS on a home network

Let's say I have a home network containing a server that acts as the resident gateway and serves dhcp and dns requests. Laptop A is frequently connected and disconnected from the network as it is used as a travel computer. Is there a secure way to make sure that whenever laptop A is connected to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zygomorph
3 Replies
machid(1)							   User Commands							 machid(1)

NAME
machid, sun, iAPX286, i286, i386, i486, i860, pdp11, sparc, u3b, u3b2, u3b5, u3b15, vax, u370 - get processor type truth value SYNOPSIS
sun iAPX286 i386 pdp11 sparc u3b u3b2 u3b5 u3b15 vax u370 DESCRIPTION
The following commands will return a true value (exit code of 0) if you are using an instruction set that the command name indicates. sun True if you are on a Sun system. iAPX286 True if you are on a computer using an iAPX286 processor. i386 True if you are on a computer using an iAPX386 processor. pdp11 True if you are on a PDP-11/45tm or PDP-11/70tm. sparc True if you are on a computer using a SPARC-family processor. u3b True if you are on a 3B20 computer. u3b2 True if you are on a 3B2 computer. u3b5 True if you are on a 3B5 computer. u3b15 True if you are on a 3B15 computer. vax True if you are on a VAX-11/750tm or VAX-11/780tm. u370 True if you are on an IBM(R) System/370tm computer. The commands that do not apply will return a false (non-zero) value. These commands are often used within makefiles (see make(1S)) and shell scripts (see sh(1)) to increase portability. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
make(1S), sh(1), test(1), true(1), uname(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The machid family of commands is obsolete. Use uname -p and uname -m instead. SunOS 5.11 5 Jul 1990 machid(1)