Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need help removing last character of every line if certain character Post 302540785 by bobby1015 on Thursday 21st of July 2011 02:59:48 PM
Old 07-21-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell_Life
Code:
sed 's/%$//' Input_File

If the input is like

Input:
Code:
aaa%
%bbb
ccc@
d%dd%
eee&

How can we handle this ?

Last edited by radoulov; 07-21-2011 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: Code tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing character from list line (at the end)

Hi, I have file as shown below. abc, def, abc, xyz, I have to remove ',' from end of last line (xyz,). How can I do that with single command? Is it possible or I have to iterate through complete file to remove that? - Malay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing new line character

I'm appending header and trailer record for a binary file using echo "$header" > filename cat oldfilename >> filename echo "$trailer" >> filename The echo is introducing newline character after header and trailer.Please let me know is there any possibility to get rid of newline character. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing a character and addending to end in each line in a file

HI i am having a file this (sys19:pnlfct:/pfact/temp>) cat temp_sand 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 I want to make this file as (sys19:pnlfct:/pfact/temp>) cat temp_sand 1456789023 1456789023 1456789023 1456789023 just take the 2nd and 3rd position and put it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing last character from each line of file

How can I remove the last character from each line of a file? This must be done without "funny" characters, as I want to transfer the code to/from Windows. Any ideas? (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjhancock
17 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to concat line first and then removing the ^M character

hi Someone can give me some clue or script in writing the below requirement I am having 5 or 10 files of unix files which contain ^M charactes. First we have to find ^M character and concat the line where it has broken and then we have to remove the ^M character from the uxix... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsantoshusa
11 Replies

6. HP-UX

How to remove new line character and append new line character in a file?

Hi Experts, I have data coming in 4 columns and there are new line characters \n in between the data. I need to remove the new line characters in the middle of the row and keep the \n character at the end of the line. File is comma (,) seperated. Eg: ID,Client ,SNo,Rank 37,Airtel \n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikari
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing first and last character of line

Hi all, Please help me to remove first and last character of each line in a file. Thanks, Baski (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: baskivs
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: delete on each line before a character and after a character

Hi there, A total sed noob here. Is there a way using sed to delete everything before a character AND after another character on each line in a file? The deletion should also delete the indicating characters(here: an opening and a closing parenthesis). The original file would look like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bnbsd
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read character by character in line in which space is also included

Hi friend, I have one file , and i want to read that file character by character. I need this script in ksh. while using read option with -n1 am getting error. while read -n1 c read has bad option And if i am using below script, then if in a line has space like this ( Pallvi mahajan)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallvi_mahajan
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing last character of a specific line from a file

Hello guys, I would need to remove the last character ")" of a specific line. This can be from any line. Your help is appreciated. Below is the line. HOSTNAME=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)) Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sang8g
6 Replies
mdraw_coordinates_position(3m17n)				 The m17n Library				 mdraw_coordinates_position(3m17n)

NAME
mdraw_coordinates_position - Return the character position nearest to the coordinates. SYNOPSIS
int mdraw_coordinates_position (MFrame * frame, MText * mt, int from, int to, int x_offset, int y_offset, MDrawControl * control) DESCRIPTION
Return the character position nearest to the coordinates. The mdraw_coordinates_position() function checks which character is to be drawn at coordinate (x, y) when the text between from and to of M-text mt is drawn at the coordinate (0, 0) using the mdraw_text_with_control() function with the drawing control object control. Here, the character position means the number of characters that precede the character in question in mt, that is, the character position of the first character is 0. frame is used only to get the default face information. RETURN VALUE
If the glyph image of a character covers coordinate (x, y), mdraw_coordinates_position() returns the character position of that character. If y is less than the minimum Y-coordinate of the drawn area, it returns from. If y is greater than the maximum Y-coordinate of the drawn area, it returns to. If y fits in with the drawn area but x is less than the minimum X-coordinate, it returns the character position of the first character drawn on the line y. If y fits in with the drawn area but x is greater than the maximum X-coordinate, it returns the character position of the last character drawn on the line y. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001 Information-technology Promotion Agency (IPA) Copyright (C) 2001-2011 National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST) Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.html>. Version 1.6.2 12 Jan 2011 mdraw_coordinates_position(3m17n)