Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Stripping characters from a file and reformatting according to another one Post 302540736 by TheTransporter on Thursday 21st of July 2011 12:50:14 PM
Old 07-21-2011
Stripping characters from a file and reformatting according to another one

Dear experts,
my problem is pretty tricky.
I want to change a file (see attached input.txt), according to another file (help.txt). The output that is desired is in output.txt. The example is attached.
Note that
-dashes should not be treated specially, they are considered normal characters, too.
-whatever is stripped from the first entry of the input.txt according to the help.txt should be stripped at the identical position in the second entry. (entries are separated by >)
I will really appreciate any help!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping leftmost characters from string

Hi there, if i have some strings ie test_324423 test_242332 test_767667 but I only want the number part (the bolded bit) how do I strip the leftmost 5 characters from the output so that i will have just 324423 242332 767667 any help would be greatly appreciated Gary (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping certain characters in at the middle of a string

I am trying to strip out certain characters from a string on both (left & right) sides. For example, line=see@hear|touch, i only want to echo the "hear" part. Well i have tried this approach: line=see@hear|touch templine=${line#*@} #removed "see@" echo ${templine%%\|*} #removed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcoblefias
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reformatting file

Hi, How can I reformat a file (text file) using unix command. This file was FTP'd from Mainframe and contains some garbage character at the end of each line. Each line contains special characters '<soh>' at the end which should have been spaces when I view it in emacs or nedit. I couldnt do find... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrjunsy
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - stripping away characters that can't be used in filenames

I want to create a temp file which is named based on a search string. The search string may contain spaces or characters that aren't supposed to be used in filenames so I want to strip those out. My thought was to use 'tr' with but the result is the opposite of what I want: $ echo "test... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mglenney
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping characters from a variable

I'm using a shell script to get user input with this command: read UserInput I would then like to take the "UserInput" variable and strip out all of the following characters, regardless of where they appear in the variable or how many occurrences there are: \/":|<>+=;,?*@ I'm not sure... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrogers64
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk multiple file reformatting

I hopefully have a simple request - I need to process multiple files reformatting the output based on tags at the beginning of each line. So the data for the new 3 lines of the output file are in the HDR line and then the details are in the DTL tagged lines. for ifile in $indir do echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jason_v_brown
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reformatting a file for biological purpose

Dear ALL, I would really appreciate if you could help me in reformatting a file in this way: The file refers to a list of genetic coordinates, each lines has a score value and the associated chromosome is listed in the line starting with chrom . If more coordinates are found, the start... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paolo.kunder
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping unwanted characters in field

I wrote myself a small little shell script to clean up a file I have issues with. In particular, I am stripping down a fully qualified host/domain name to just the hostname itself. The script works, but from a performance standpoint, it's not very fast and I will be working with large data sets. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dagamier
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help reformatting input file

Hi, I have an input file that looks like this (columns are tab delimited: Data000005-RA GO:0003735 GO:0005840 GO:0006412 Data000005-RA GO:0003735 Data000009-RA GO:0003735 GO:0005622 GO:0005840 GO:0006412 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fahmida
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reformatting of an output file

Hi, i've got the following output file: 170724_1600 | SYSTEM | 449 | 282 | 167 | 62 170724_1600 | CCS_SCP_DATA | 200 | 88 | 112 | 44 170724_1600 | CCS_SCP_SUBS_I | 2001 | 1751 | 250 | 87 170724_1600 | UIS_CDR_INDEX | 2001 | 1 | 2000 | 0 170724_1600 | LCP_INDEX | 200 | 5 | 195 | 2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
4 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)