Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Recursive looping through files and directories Post 302540583 by yazu on Thursday 21st of July 2011 05:55:40 AM
Old 07-21-2011
Code:
find LOG_DIR -type f

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep recursive directories

I am trying to locate a file or files with specific data in them. Problem is the file(s) could reside in any one of many directories. My question is. Is there a way of recursively greping directories for the file(s) with the data I am looking for. I have tried - 1. $HOME> grep 47518 | ls... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

recursive chmod that only affects directories?

The man page for chmod doesn't list a way to recursively change permissions on directories only, without affecting the files themselves. Let's say that I wanted to change the permissions on the current directory and all subdirectories. I know I can write a bash script that would do this using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: retrovertigo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script problem due to recursive directories Help please

Hello everyone , I am looking for a better solution then the one I have created for the my Task The task is: Create an automated script that will check for Uploads in a specified Directory and move them to another specified Directory if the files are completely uploaded. Files are FTP'd to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertmcol
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive call to find files and directories in Shell script from current path.

################################################################ Copy this script to your path from where you want to search for all the files and directories in subdirectories recursively. ################################################################# code starts here... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramit_Gupta
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with looping the directories

Hi all, I have a directory which has many sub-directories. Now, I want to check the space of each dir and redirect the output in a file if space exceeds the limit. I have already done it, but the way I did is not very good. I just listed the directories and awked the last column to get the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
5 Replies

6. AIX

recursive archive directories and subdirectories

Hi everyone, Maybe this is simple question for many of you, but I get confused.:confused: How to archive a parent directory which contains some subdirectories and some files? I have searched this forum, there are some commands like tar,etc, I tried but can not be implemented in my system.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonSurya
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to sort directories after a recursive find

find -type d -name "TC_*" | sort That's what I have so far... it finds the appropriate directories and then sorts them. But, when it comes to nested subdirectories, it only sorts relative to the first subdirectory. I want it to sort based on the directory at the end of the path. Does anyone know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimsondarkn
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logic needed to recursive looping in the script

Hello i have a requirement where in a file i will get string. The length could be from 1 to 20. if the string is less than 6 characters ( ex: ABCD) . i need to append 'X' on right hand side to make it 6 characters (ex: ABCDXX). if suppose i get the same string from the file as ABCDXX then i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping for multiple directories

Hi experts, I am totally stuck with this. I run a looping "for" command for multiple directories, manually, I have done this : vfor dir in A B; do cp -p $dir/X.txt X-${dir}.txt done where A and B is directory name. However, I need to run for many directories. So I have tried this :... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: guns
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive search for files and copy to new directories

So I have extremely limited experience with shell scripting and I was hoping someone could point out a few commands I need to use in order to pull this off with a shell script like BASH or whatnot (this is on OS X). I need to search out for filenames with account numbers in the name itself... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flyawaymike
3 Replies
DH_COMPRESS(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_COMPRESS(1)

NAME
dh_compress - compress files and fix symlinks in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_compress [debhelperoptions] [-Xitem] [-A] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_compress is a debhelper program that is responsible for compressing the files in package build directories, and makes sure that any symlinks that pointed to the files before they were compressed are updated to point to the new files. By default, dh_compress compresses files that Debian policy mandates should be compressed, namely all files in usr/share/info, usr/share/man, files in usr/share/doc that are larger than 4k in size, (except the copyright file, .html and other web files, image files, and files that appear to be already compressed based on their extensions), and all changelog files. Plus PCF fonts underneath usr/share/fonts/X11/ FILES
debian/package.compress These files are deprecated. If this file exists, the default files are not compressed. Instead, the file is ran as a shell script, and all filenames that the shell script outputs will be compressed. The shell script will be run from inside the package build directory. Note though that using -X is a much better idea in general; you should only use a debian/package.compress file if you really need to. OPTIONS
-Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being compressed. For example, -X.tiff will exclude TIFF files from compression. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. -A, --all Compress all files specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on. file ... Add these files to the list of files to compress. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 3.0 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_COMPRESS(1)