Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Split lines in a file and store them in variables Post 302540544 by itkamaraj on Thursday 21st of July 2011 03:32:47 AM
Old 07-21-2011
Code:

while read line
do
   var1=`echo $line| nawk -F"\/" '{print $(NF-1)}'`
   var2=`echo $line | nawk -F"\/" '{print $(NF-3)}'`
   echo $var1
   echo $var2
done < files.txt

Input file :

output :

Code:

bash-3.00$ ./test.ksh 
wxyz
qrs
sfsd34
asdf
sdf34
qr234s
sdfr34
asdf
sfs43
23sdf

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

NAWK array to store lines from huge file

Hi, I would like to clarify about the NAWK array to store multiple lines from huge file. The file is having an unique REF.NO, I wants to store the lines (it may be 100+ lines) till I found the new REF.NO. How can I apply NAWK - arrays for the above? Rgds, sharif. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharif
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split the single file lines into multiple files

Let's assume that I have a file name called ‘A' and it has 100 lines in it and would like to split these 100 lines into 4 files as specified bellow. INPUT: Input file name A 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ........100 Output: 4 output files (x,y,z,w) File x should contains (Skip 4 lines)... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: subbarao25
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse config file and store the values in variables

Hi, I have a config file that has blank, commented lines. I need to escape commented lines, blank lines, parse the remaining lines and store them in variables or array. the config file contains the following lines. # config file # Define Oracle User ORA_USER=abcde ORA_PASS=xyzabc... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakshmi Chowdam
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

split row into lines and insert file name

I have a directory with several hundred files. The file format is a space delimited row with an unknown number of columns: A B C D E F G ... I need to turn this format File1 A File1 B File2 A File3 A File3 B File3 C ... I can use grep to display the filename next to each row of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newreverie
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to split a huge file by every 100 lines

into small files. i need to add a head.txt and tail.txt into small files at the begin and end, and give a name as q1.xml q2.xml q3.xml .... thank you very much. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtdt
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

split a csv file into specified number of files (not lines)

hi, i really need it ...it's not simple to explain but as it's part of a crontab i can't split the file manually...and the file can change every day so the lines are not a good base. example: how to split 1 csv file in 15 files? thank you very much regards :b: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 7stars
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read a file and store in variables

I have a input file like this. Sample.txt 30 | TXDatacenter | TXBackupDC 10 | UKDatacenter | UKBackupDC 0 | NLDatacenter | NLBackupDC ...... ...... ...... I need to get these values in different variables like this. Load1=30 PriCenter1=TXDatacenter... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Visha
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split file based on number of blank lines

Hello All , I have a file which needs to split based on the blank lines Name ABC Address London Age 32 (4 blank new line) Name DEF Address London Age 30 (4 blank new line) Name DEF Address London (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern in a file and split the line into two lines

Hi All, Greetings everyone !!! I have a file which has many lines, out of which one line is as below. I need to search for pattern "varchar(30) Select" and if exists, then split the line as below. I am trying to achieve this in ksh. Can anyone help me on this. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to split a large file with the first 100 lines of each condition?

I have a huge file with the following input: Case1 Specific_Info Specific_Info Case1 Specific_Info Specific_Info Case3 Specific_Info Specific_Info Case4 Specific_Info Specific_Info Case1 Specific_Info Specific_Info Case2 Specific_Info Specific_Info Case2 Specific_Info Specific_Info... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: laurigo
2 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- | fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command | substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even | when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. | If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- | tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- | tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for | that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is | returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. | In this way, all exceptional return codes are ``caught'' by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete | successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns ``xyz {44}'', not ``xyz {$a}'' and the script | set a "p} q {r" | subst {xyz {$a}} | return ``xyz {p} q {r}'', not ``xyz {p} q {r}''. | When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. | set a 44 | subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} | returns ``$a 44'', not ``$a $a''. Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to | retrieve the value of the variable. | proc b {} {return c} | array set a {c c [b] tricky} | subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} | returns ``[b] c'', not ``[b] tricky''. | The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest | of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script | subst {abc,[break],def} | returns ``abc,'', not ``abc,,def'' and the script | subst {abc,[continue;expr 1+2],def} | returns ``abc,,def'', not ``abc,3,def''. | Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value | subst {abc,[return foo;expr 1+2],def} | returns ``abc,foo,def'', not ``abc,3,def'' and | subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr 1+2],def} | also returns ``abc,foo,def'', not ``abc,3,def''. SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)