Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unsure of sed notation (nu\\t.\*) Post 302540458 by czar21 on Wednesday 20th of July 2011 04:30:31 PM
Old 07-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell_Life
A backslash (\) is an way to force the interpretation of the next character the way it is.
Yes, I know. So why the double backlash? Is that to force the interpretation of the 2nd one as a backslash?

Then it would mean that

Code:
nu\\t.\*

is replacing

Code:
nu\t.*

Which doesn't make sense in the context of the file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

A little unsure of something

If i want to display a banner that says Happy Bday, but I want to put that output banner into a file called bday4me, could I use the command (echo) or (banner -w35) Happy Bday >> bday4me would this command work? Sorry for asking, but i'm at home just now and don't have access to a UNIX... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cisco
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unsure if this is a unix datestamp??? can you guys tell?

hi everyone im new here and im hoping you could help me out here. Yesterday i removed a time stamp from a program that i am using.This timestamp should contain a date of 04/04/2008 with a time sometime in that day. the stamp in hex is 7C FE 2B 04 DA 4E E3 40 ive looked everywhere and im... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uselessprog
1 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Unsure what caused an infraction on my account.

Hey everyone. I wasn't sure what it meant when my profile said it had 1 infraction against it, so I thought I'd check it out. Unfortunately, I can't find the post in question. The date from the post in question is 07-09-2008 at 04:24 AM, but from what I can tell is marked as 'private'. I'd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: glen.barber
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Conversion of scientific notation

Hello All, Hope all is well, Suppose I have a program that extracted data into a file called: progcros.in. I attached the file but I renamed it progcros.txt. I think that my mess up the column alignment. Anyways, in several columns there are numbers listed, however the numbers... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gingburg
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rounding scientific notation

Hi Friends, I have following 50,000 records in .txt file. I need to round field 3, 4, & 5 to 3 decimal places. 11|A123|-2.64216408856E01|3.64216408856E01|4.64216408856E-01 11|A123|0|-5.64216408856E01|0 11|A123|0|0|0 11|A123|-99999999|-99999999|-99999999... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppat7046
4 Replies

6. IP Networking

IP Address Notation

In the IP addresses 193.32.156.0/24 and 169.183.0.0/16, what do the /16 and /24 represent? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JerryHone
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert decimal notation to ANSI point code notation

wondering if anyone has any thoughts to convert the below thru a shell script Convert decimal signalling point notation to ANSI point code notation There is a site that does that conversion but i need to implement the solution in a shell script.....Thoughts.... OS: Solaris 9 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aavam
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

C-script notation

Just a very brief question, but I have a script written in a C-like language possibly tcl with the line set var ... ...All I want to know, is ** multiplication or is it exponentiation? What is the ** operator? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: scientific notation to decimal notation

hello folks, I have few values in a log which are in scientific notation. I am trying to convert into actual decimal format or integer but couldn't able to convert. Values in scientific notation: 1.1662986666666665E-4 2.0946799999999998E-4 3.0741333333333333E-6 5.599999999999999E-7... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Unsure why access time on a directory change isn't changing

Hello... And thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me I was trying to work out the differences between displaying modify, access, and change times with the 'ls' command. Everything seems in order when I look at files, but the access time on a directory doesn't seem to change when I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bodisha
4 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)