Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script to login into multiple linux boxes Post 302540452 by Mani2512 on Wednesday 20th of July 2011 04:08:39 PM
Old 07-20-2011
Hammer & Screwdriver Shell script to login into multiple linux boxes

I have requirement to login into a multiple linux boxes by running the shell script in a single linux box and to find the count of files in a specific folder in each box and log them in a log file in the box where i m runnning the script. Box names will be stored in a text file host.txt.

Please do let me know if anyone has an idea on that.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting one script to run on multiple boxes

I have a script that generates an output file after pulling data from a local DB on one of my boxes. There are other nearly-identical boxes on the network, each with their own local DB, and I'd like to run the script there too. Copying the script to each box and then running them individually... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bschnair
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need a Script to rsh multiple hp boxes and shutdown

Hello I'm serving on a ship that has frequent power issues. Currently if we loose power we need to rush around to multiple UNIX machines and login to Sysadmin and power down each machine before we loose our ups. If sysadmin is asleep or not in the space we have some real problems. I would like to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackfam972
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automated ssh to multiple boxes

I have a script that will ssh to several different servers, perform a command, display the output, and exit. It works well, but I have to enter my password for each server. That gets a little cumbersome when you have a couple dozen servers. Anyone out there know how to automate this so that I only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedexer
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to change the password on multiple servers in linux

Can any one please let me know the shell script to change the password for a particular user on multiple linux servers. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_madras
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to collect information from current and remote unix boxes

I am using AIX 5.3.0.0 ; I need a script to find out each remote AIX boxes Hostname, Model name and Serial number in following format Hostname Modelname SerialID AIXMC01 IBM,7026-B80 IBM,0110BBA1F AIXMC02 IBM,7026-H50 IBM,0110BBA56 AIXMC03 IBM,7026-H50 IBM,0110BBARR... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: amir07
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run multiple instances of shell script in linux?

How we can run the multiple instances of the script? I need to run the script which I am calling from the below function.I can doit with cron but I don't want to put it in the cron.This cript dploy the build and here I want when the build stage then it should run with multilpe instances of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to scp a file to multiple boxes

Hello All, I am new to scripting and I am trying to write a script which can scp a file from one box to multiple boxes. I am thinking to do like this. 1) create a file with list of all server names 2)write a script which will pick up each server line by line from server list and copy it to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sintilash
1 Replies

8. Linux

Linux script for multiple box login.

Hello! We currently use a SecureCRT .vbs script which automates logging into multiple boxes to run a few commands. However, I'd like to have something run in Linux vs. our emulator. Below is my objective :): Our current .vbs script will look at an IP list .txt file on our PC, then login to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: birdboyee
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script as login shell (passing args to login shell)

Hello all, for security reasons my compagny imposes that my script be launch remotly via ssh under the users login shell. So serverA launches the ssh command to serverB which has a local user with my script as a login shell. Local script works like a charm on his own. serverB$ grep... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick72
20 Replies
SCRIPT(1)							   User Commands							 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [options] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything displayed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves the dialogue in this file. If no filename is given, the dialogue is saved in the file type- script. OPTIONS
-a, --append Append the output to file or to typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can supervise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet (do not write start and done messages to standard output). -t[file], --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. NOTES
The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D for the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. It is not recommended to run script in non-interactive shells. The inner shell of script is always interactive, and this could lead to unexpected results. If you use script in the shell initialization file, you have to avoid entering an infinite loop. You can use for example the .profile file, which is read by login shells only: if test -t 0 ; then script exit fi You should also avoid use of script in command pipes, as script can read more input than you would expect. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1) HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. script is primarily designed for interactive terminal sessions. When stdin is not a terminal (for example: echo foo | script), then the session can hang, because the interactive shell within the script session misses EOF and script has no clue when to close the session. See the NOTES section for more information. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux June 2014 SCRIPT(1)