Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unsure of sed notation (nu\\t.\*) Post 302540450 by czar21 on Wednesday 20th of July 2011 03:43:15 PM
Old 07-20-2011
Unsure of sed notation (nu\\t.\*)

This piece of code is in a shell script I'm trying to modify to run on my system.

Code:
sed s:nu\\t.\*:"nu=0"

It's clearly a substitute script which replaces nu\\t.\* with nu = 0.

What exactly does
Code:
nu\\t.\*

demarcate though-- I thought it was just the previous nu = xxxxx (which existed and is getting overwritten) but the double forward slashes and then the t confuse me.

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

A little unsure of something

If i want to display a banner that says Happy Bday, but I want to put that output banner into a file called bday4me, could I use the command (echo) or (banner -w35) Happy Bday >> bday4me would this command work? Sorry for asking, but i'm at home just now and don't have access to a UNIX... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cisco
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unsure if this is a unix datestamp??? can you guys tell?

hi everyone im new here and im hoping you could help me out here. Yesterday i removed a time stamp from a program that i am using.This timestamp should contain a date of 04/04/2008 with a time sometime in that day. the stamp in hex is 7C FE 2B 04 DA 4E E3 40 ive looked everywhere and im... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uselessprog
1 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Unsure what caused an infraction on my account.

Hey everyone. I wasn't sure what it meant when my profile said it had 1 infraction against it, so I thought I'd check it out. Unfortunately, I can't find the post in question. The date from the post in question is 07-09-2008 at 04:24 AM, but from what I can tell is marked as 'private'. I'd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: glen.barber
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Conversion of scientific notation

Hello All, Hope all is well, Suppose I have a program that extracted data into a file called: progcros.in. I attached the file but I renamed it progcros.txt. I think that my mess up the column alignment. Anyways, in several columns there are numbers listed, however the numbers... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gingburg
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rounding scientific notation

Hi Friends, I have following 50,000 records in .txt file. I need to round field 3, 4, & 5 to 3 decimal places. 11|A123|-2.64216408856E01|3.64216408856E01|4.64216408856E-01 11|A123|0|-5.64216408856E01|0 11|A123|0|0|0 11|A123|-99999999|-99999999|-99999999... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppat7046
4 Replies

6. IP Networking

IP Address Notation

In the IP addresses 193.32.156.0/24 and 169.183.0.0/16, what do the /16 and /24 represent? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JerryHone
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert decimal notation to ANSI point code notation

wondering if anyone has any thoughts to convert the below thru a shell script Convert decimal signalling point notation to ANSI point code notation There is a site that does that conversion but i need to implement the solution in a shell script.....Thoughts.... OS: Solaris 9 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aavam
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

C-script notation

Just a very brief question, but I have a script written in a C-like language possibly tcl with the line set var ... ...All I want to know, is ** multiplication or is it exponentiation? What is the ** operator? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: scientific notation to decimal notation

hello folks, I have few values in a log which are in scientific notation. I am trying to convert into actual decimal format or integer but couldn't able to convert. Values in scientific notation: 1.1662986666666665E-4 2.0946799999999998E-4 3.0741333333333333E-6 5.599999999999999E-7... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Unsure why access time on a directory change isn't changing

Hello... And thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me I was trying to work out the differences between displaying modify, access, and change times with the 'ls' command. Everything seems in order when I look at files, but the access time on a directory doesn't seem to change when I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bodisha
4 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with 'nwbpvalues -c'. See util/nwbpsecurity for an example. As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)