Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting User defined functions in awk Post 302540271 by ajaypadvi on Wednesday 20th of July 2011 07:59:18 AM
Old 07-20-2011
User defined functions in awk

Hi;
Is der ne to to use user defined functions for the values in awk

Code:
find $1 -type f -ls | nawk '{{print "|"$3"|"$5"|"$6"|"$8"|"$9"|"$10"|"} for(i=11;i<=NF;i++){printf("%s",$i)}}'

In above command i want to append some values returned by user functions on line.

thnks;
ajay

Last edited by pludi; 07-20-2011 at 09:31 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

User defined signal 1

Hi, I am just running a incremental back-up on one of my server. But these days It abrubtly fails with below error. ========== User defined signal 1 =========== When I rerun the back-up, It completed successfully.Earlier this was not happening. Any Idea, what could be the problem... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitesh_raj
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User defined service

I want to add a new IP service which executes a script on SCO OS5. I have amended /etc/services and added to port number (3333) I have amended /etc/inetd.conf and added a line for this service but I can't get it to execute my own shell script When I telnet to the IP address on port 3333 I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markdrury
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk printf for user defined variables

I am working on a SunFire 480 - uname -a gives: SunOS bsmdb02 5.9 Generic_112233-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R I am tyring to sum up the total size of all the directories for each running database using awk: #!/usr/bin/ksh for Database in `ps -efl | grep "ora_pmon" | grep -v grep |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jabberwocky
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return an array of strings from user defined function in awk

Hello Friends, Is it possible to return an array from a user defined function in awk ? example: gawk ' BEGIN{} { catch_line = my_function(i) print catch_line print catch_line print catch_line } function my_function(i) { print "echo" line= "awk" line= "gawk"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

user-defined functions, "$@", $jobs and $ps wwaxu

Imagine a user-defined function. func() { /usr/pkg/bin/program long-string-of-switches-and-configs "$@" ;} I execute it once. Then background it. I execute another instance. Then bg it. func unique-user-input ^Z func unique-user-input ^Z First I view with ps ps wwaux ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
0 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Functions defined in header / cpp file behaves different

File: A.h class A { public: struct x X; int show() { x.member_variable ? 0: -1; } }; Now if A.cpp is complied which includes A.h (which is actually in a huge project space) we see that x.member_variable value is not as expected. But if remove the show() method and place... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uunniixx
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] awk: placement of user-defined functions

Hi folks, is there any recommendation, especially from a point of performance, about where to place a user-defined function in awk, like in BEGIN{} or if it is only need once at the end in END{}? Or doesn't it matter at all since, awk is so clever and only interprets it once, wherever it is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about awk - create a user-defined variable

Hi, guys, The content of file is below (from <UNIX® Shells by Example Fourth Edition>): My code is below: gawk -F'' ' { OFS = "****"; $3 = "(904)"; $8 = $5 + $6 + $7; print } ' lab3.data The result is below: So, where is the $1? Why is the variable $8 located at the wired position? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: franksunnn
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mkdir fails when defined and called with functions.

In the below script i found that the alias mkdir_s is getting invoked from function configure() i.e the alias is kicking in. #!/bin/bash -e shopt -s expand_aliases alias mkdir=mkdir_s mkdir_s(){ if ]; then return else /usr/bin/mkdir "$1" return fi } configure() { mkdir -p... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Call user defined function from awk

My requirement is to call function ("fun1") from awk, and print its returned value along with $0. fun1() { t=$1 printf "%02d\n", $t % 60; } echo "Hi There 23" | awk '{print $0; system(fun1 $3)}' Any suggestions what to be modified in above code to achieve requirement.. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSKOBS
5 Replies
ucblinks(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					      ucblinks(1B)

NAME
ucblinks - adds /dev entries to give SunOS 4.x compatible names to SunOS 5.x devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ucblinks [-e rulebase] [-r rootdir] DESCRIPTION
ucblinks creates symbolic links under the /dev directory for devices whose SunOS 5.x names differ from their SunOS 4.x names. Where possi- ble, these symbolic links point to the device's SunOS 5.x name rather than to the actual /devices entry. ucblinks does not remove unneeded compatibility links; these must be removed by hand. ucblinks should be called each time the system is reconfiguration-booted, after any new SunOS 5.x links that are needed have been created, since the reconfiguration may have resulted in more compatibility names being needed. In releases prior to SunOS 5.4, ucblinks used a nawk rule-base to construct the SunOS 4.x compatible names. ucblinks no longer uses nawk for the default operation, although nawk rule-bases can still be specifed with the -e option. The nawk rule-base equivalent to the SunOS 5.4 default operation can be found in /usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk. OPTIONS
-e rulebase Specify rulebase as the file containing nawk(1) pattern-action statements. -r rootdir Specify rootdir as the directory under which dev and devices will be found, rather than the standard root directory /. FILES
/usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk sample rule-base for compatibility links ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
devlinks(1M), disks(1M), ports(1M), tapes(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 13 Apr 1994 ucblinks(1B)