Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX default settings of security password in AIX Post 302540028 by phobus on Tuesday 19th of July 2011 10:51:11 AM
Old 07-19-2011
Hi,
security files are located under
Code:
/etc/security/

you can compare files with something like diff from there or you can use lsuser command.

For that error which you get you have set up minage to 1, change it to 0 and you will be able to change your password.

Code:
minage   Defines the minimum age (in weeks) a password must be before it can be changed. The  value is a decimal integer string. The default is a value of 0, indicating no minimum age. Range: 0 to 52

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mandrake 8.0 experts...how come it won't accept changes to security settings??

well after a possible hack last week that was a pain in the as* i have reinstalled and i am setting up my security settings before i connect to the internet this time... problem is that when i try to change the security setting using in the control setting the left panel (where the change is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: justchillin
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password Settings

Is there an easy way to spit out a screen with all the password setting parameters set out? For example: MINWEEKS=1 MAXWEEKS=8 etc. I'm looking for a way to have all the settings consolidated on a report for inclusion in policy documents. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hoju
4 Replies

3. Solaris

SunSolaris-v5.9: Default Security Settings

I am working on SunSolaris- v5.9 and am trying to obtain default security settings (including password settings). Although in the AIX environment, to obtain default setting the following commands are used: /etc/security/user /etc/security/limits /etc/security/environ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eysheikah
1 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

list the password settings for all the users

Hi!! How can I list the password settings for all the users?? Best regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: irasela
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Password settings

Good afternoon/afternoon/evening, I have a solaris 8 machine that if I lock the machine and return I can just press enter and it will log back in, this happens with all users on just this machine. Is there a config file or command to put the password in place? regards will (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr Pink
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I.T. auditor needs help with UNIX password settings

Hi, I'm an I.T. auditor and have to validate the password rules/settings (complexity rules, minimum password length, special characters, etc.)within UNIX for a client. In MS AD, i simply ask for a screen shot of the password settings. How can i do this in UNIX? help much appreciated. Also, how can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gosmartyjones
1 Replies

7. AIX

global password settings

Hello, we are making password setting changes effective for all users on an AIX 5.2 system. Specifically requiring users to use at least one special character in their password. Is there a way to make this change effective for all users in one place, ie the /etc/security/users file? I made the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zuessh
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write a shell script security policy settings for linux

The pro help! Write a shell script setup for linux security policies include: 1. login (username and password login). 2. add, delete your username and password. 3. firewall. Note: Write a shell script file as follows: If login successful then Step 2. If step 2 succeeds (ie add,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ngovuongbinhtay
1 Replies

9. AIX

Setting up Password Security in AIX 5.3

In AIX 5.3 tech level 11: I want to setup a default password policy to have at least one of each of the following: alpha character, numeric character, and "special" character ("!", "&", etc). The smitty Security and Users --> Passwords --> System Password Policy screen only offers "MIN... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kikwit_phil
2 Replies

10. SuSE

Suse Security Settings

1) PermitEmptyPasswords is set to No # grep "^PermitEmptyPasswords" /etc/ssh/sshd_config PermitEmptyPasswords no If there is no output does it implies 'As parameter was not set mean system will also not accepted emptypassword.' 2) Users is not allowed to set... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
2 Replies
pam_pwcheck(8)							 Reference Manual						    pam_pwcheck(8)

NAME
pam_pwcheck - PAM module for password strength checking DESCRIPTION
The pam_pwcheck is a PAM module for password strength checking. It makes additional checks upon password changes, but does not perform the change itself. It only provides functionality for one PAM management group: password changing. This module works in the following manner: if enabled, it first calls the Cracklib routine to check the strength of the password; if crack likes the password, the module does an additional set of strength checks. These checks are: Palindrome Is the new password a palindrome of the old one? Case Change Only Is the new password the old one with only a change of case? Similar Is the new password too similar to old one? Simple Is the new password too short? Rotated Is the new password a rotated version of the old password? Already used Was the password used in the past? Previously used passwords are to be found in /etc/security/opasswd. OPTIONS
The following options may be passed to the module: cracklib=<path to dictionaries> Use cracklib library for password checks. This parameter also contains the path to the cracklib dictionaries. The default is /usr/lib/cracklib_dict. debug A lot of debug information is printed with syslog(3). maxlen=number Number of significant characters in the password for crypt(3). A value of zero suppresses this check. The default is 0. minlen=number The minimum number of characters in an acceptable password. A new password with fewer characters will be rejected. A value of zero suppresses this check. The default is 5. no_obscure_checks No additional checks will be performed before a new password is accepted. Since the checks performed are fairly simple, their usage is recommended. not_set_pass If this option is given, pam_pwcheck will not make the new password available for other modules. nullok Normally the account is disabled if no password is set or if the length of the password is zero. With this option you can allow the user to change his password for such accounts. This option does not overwrite a hardcoded default by the calling process. tries=number Maximum number of attempts to change a password if the new ones are rejected because they are too easy. use_authtok Set the new password to the one provided by the previously stacked password module. If this option is not set, pam_pwcheck will ask the user for the new password. use_first_pass By default pam_pwcheck tries to get the authentication token from a previous module. If no token is available, the user is asked for the old password. With this option, pam_pwcheck aborts with an error if no authentication token from a previous module is available. remember=XX Remember the last XX passwords and do not allow the user to reuse any of these for the next XX password changes. XX is a number between 1 and 400. enforce_for_root If this option is set, most of the password check rules are enforced for root, too. Never use this option if you don't know what you are doing, since it could be as result that root is no longer allowed to login at all. FILES
/etc/security/opasswd SEE ALSO
passwd(1), pam.conf(8), pam.d(8), pam(8), rpasswd(1), rpasswdd(8), rpc.yppasswdd(8), yppasswd(1) pam_pwcheck September 2008 pam_pwcheck(8)