Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: regex question using egrep
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting regex question using egrep Post 302539649 by rethink on Monday 18th of July 2011 10:12:23 AM
Old 07-18-2011
regex question using egrep

Hi, i have a a bunch of directories that are always named with six lowercase alpha's and either one or two numeric's (but no more)

so for example names could be

qwerty1
qwerty9
qwerty10
qwerty67

I am currently using two pattern matches to capture these names

Code:

echo $DIR | egrep '/[a-z][a-z][a-z][a-z][a-z][a-z][1-9]'
echo $DIR | egrep '/[a-z][a-z][a-z][a-z][a-z][a-z][1-9][0-9]/'

so effectively I am having to create two lines to match both scenarios.

i could use

Code:

echo $DIR | egrep '/[a-z][a-z][a-z][a-z][a-z][a-z][0-9]+'

but we have specific requirements NOT to match directories with 3 or more numbers at the end, so I cant use this

according to my regex cheat sheet, i should be able to do this ...

Code:

echo $DIR | egrep '/[a-z][a-z][a-z][a-z][a-z][a-z][0-9]{1,2}'

but this doesnt work Smilie

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question on egrep

Hi I am trying to use this command: egrep '^a{2,6}$' testexpr4D to retreive lines with 2,3,4,5, or 6 a's in a file . The file testexpr4D has entries like: a aa aaa aaaa aaaaa aaaaaa 123456 ABCDEF I was expecting to see 5 lines in the output but nothing happens. Can anyone help... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohitv
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Egrep question

I have a script that does the following. It searches a listing of directories with specific extensions and then formats a wc on those files. The code looks like this find <directory> -name '*.js' -o -name '*.html' | awk '{print \"wc -l \"$1}' > file \n" The result is a file with the "wc -l"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastachef
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep question

I want to egrep for certain fields which are not existing in the current log files and am getting errors for that... egrep "'^20090220.14'|'^20090220.15'|'^20090220.16'|'^20090220.17'|'^20090220.18'" Some of the times are in future and logs don't have those entries and I get errors for them... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacki
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep regex

Hi, I have a file with some words divided into syllables by the character "|" (pipe). For example zu|ri|ghe|se.I would like a regex that matches all the words that are not divided in syllables.All the word that have no "|" pipe character.I have thought at $echo "zu|ri|ghe|se" | grep '' ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: and77
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

egrep count question

Hello all, I'm a first time poster and a unix/linux noob so please be understanding. I am trying this command below: # egrep -c "Oct".+"Connect: ppp" /var/log/messages* /var/log/messages:53 /var/log/messages.1:35 /var/log/messages.2:63 /var/log/messages.3:27 /var/log/messages.4:12 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: morrowtech
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex/egrep matching numbers in brackets

Experts: I don't know that regular expressions will ever be easy for me, so if one of you guru's could help out, I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to match a line in our syslog, but I can't figure out how to match a number inside a bracket. This is what I'm trying to match. "Jul 16 00:01:34... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdveencamp
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching a regex using egrep not working

Hi, I'm trying to validate if a string matches a regular expression, but it is not working. Am I missing something? Do I need to scape any of the characters? if echo 'en-GB' | egrep '({1,8})(-{1,8})*' >/dev/null; then echo Valid value fi Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skrtxao
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex for HP egrep

I seem to be having an issue with an egrep command and I think its the way it is interpreting my regex. I have a test file.. ###FIND THESE### telnet /telnet `telnet -l` ###Dont FIND THESE### donotfindtelnet telnetdontfind Working Regex on Linux/Solaris egrep '\<(telnet|rcp)\>' $file ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and egrep question

Its really 2 questions, but both are pretty basic. Linux Redhat 1. Need to do a search and replace on a file. I need to append '--' (comment out the line) to specific lines based on a wildcard search. So if I Have GRANT SOME_ROLE_OR_USER ... I dont care what comes after that.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guessingo
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lines of code in egrep question

Hi, I have a question, during my readings it appears that these two variables in the snippet below need to be on the same line to return a “true” answer and listed in the output otherwise it won’t be returned. How can I write this snippet to make it return a “true” if those two variables are on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bdby
6 Replies
RUN-PARTS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      RUN-PARTS(8)

NAME
run-parts - run scripts or programs in a directory SYNOPSIS
run-parts [--test] [--verbose] [--report] [--lsbsysinit] [--regex=RE] [--umask=umask] [--arg=argument] [--exit-on-error] [--help] [--ver- sion] [--list] [--reverse] [--] DIRECTORY run-parts -V DESCRIPTION
run-parts runs all the executable files named within constraints described below, found in directory directory. Other files and directo- ries are silently ignored. If neither the --lsbsysinit option nor the --regex option is given then the names must consist entirely of ASCII upper- and lower-case let- ters, ASCII digits, ASCII underscores, and ASCII minus-hyphens. If the --lsbsysinit option is given, then the names must not end in .dpkg-old or .dpkg-dist or .dpkg-new or .dpkg-tmp, and must belong to one or more of the following namespaces: the LANANA-assigned namespace (^[a-z0-9]+$); the LSB hierarchical and reserved namespaces (^_?([a-z0-9_.]+-)+[a-z0-9]+$); and the Debian cron script namespace (^[a-zA-Z0-9_-]+$). If the --regex option is given, the names must match the custom extended regular expression specified as that option's argument. Files are run in the lexical sort order (according to the C/POSIX locale character collation rules) of their names unless the --reverse option is given, in which case they are run in the opposite order. OPTIONS
--test print the names of the scripts which would be run, but don't actually run them. --list print the names of the all matching files (not limited to executables), but don't actually run them. This option cannot be used with --test. -v, --verbose print the name of each script to stderr before running. --report similar to --verbose, but only prints the name of scripts which produce output. The script's name is printed to whichever of stdout or stderr the script first produces output on. --reverse reverse the scripts' execution order. --exit-on-error exit as soon as a script returns with a non-zero exit code. --lsbsysinit use LSB namespaces instead of classical behavior. --new-session run each script in a separate process session. If you use this option, killing run-parts will not kill the currently running script, it will run until completion. --regex=RE validate filenames against custom extended regular expression RE. See the EXAMPLES section for an example. -u, --umask=umask sets the umask to umask before running the scripts. umask should be specified in octal. By default the umask is set to 022. -a, --arg=argument pass argument to the scripts. Use --arg once for each argument you want passed. -- specifies that this is the end of the options. Any filename after -- will be not be interpreted as an option even if it starts with a hyphen. -h, --help display usage information and exit. -V, --version display version and copyright and exit. EXAMPLES
Print the names of all files in /etc that start with `p' and end with `d': run-parts --list --regex '^p.*d$' /etc COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1994 Ian Jackson. Copyright (C) 1996 Jeff Noxon. Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998 Guy Maor Copyright (C) 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Clint Adams run-parts is free software; see the GNU General Public License version 2 or later for copying conditions. There is no warranty. Debian 27 Jun 2012 RUN-PARTS(8)