Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk: Input line Cannot be longer than 3,000 bytes. Post 302539467 by Chubler_XL on Sunday 17th of July 2011 09:16:09 PM
Old 07-17-2011
You can also roll the bits done by grep and sed commands into your awk script:

Code:
usage=$(nawk -v N="$1" '$0 ~ "^ *"N { sub(/%/, "", $12); print $12 }' /home/dba_monitoring/host_top_output.txt)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Microsoft "Donates" $3,000,000,000 to Feds

Surreal quote from the news link below: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A44615-2002Nov12.html (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

80 bytes per line ???

I am creating ASCII file from Oracle procedure into Unix box. I undertstand there is NO CRLF as I am writing it into one complete string .. but need to know what is best way to format the file with 80bytes per line only before handing over to another program. Thanks in advance regards... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: u263066
14 Replies

3. Programming

Number of bytes in terminal input queue w/o blocking and consuming?

Hello, everyone. Could someone, please, tell me how to get the number of bytes in the terminal input queue without blocking and without consuming these bytes? I guess it could be called the peek functionality. I've looked at termio tcgetattr() and tcsetattr() functions but could not find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucy.Garfeld
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK input can not be longer than 3000 bytes

Hi, i have following line in my code. eport.pl < $4 | dos2ux | head -2000 | paste -sd\| - | awk -v S="$1" ' Issue is, i get a message saying "awk:input line | found /file/path cannot be longer than 3000 bytes." "source line number is 3" Can someone help me with this please? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk failure - wraping input line

awk is failing because of input file is greater than 3000 bytes. ,'11 cannot be longer than 3,000 bytes. The input line number is 1.13071e+06. The file is abc.txt. The source line number is 1. Is there any way to wrap the input lines to avoid this error ? (or) adding newline character at... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysvsr1
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

X bytes of 0, Y bytes of random data, Z bytes of 5, T bytes of 1. ??

Hello guys. I really hope someone will help me with this one.. So, I have to write this script who: - creates a file home/student/vmdisk of 10 mb - formats that file to ext3 - mounts that partition to /mnt/partition - creates a file /mnt/partition/data. In this file, there will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: razolo13
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK error - string cannot be longer than X bytes

Hi Friends, Could you please tell me why i am getting the below eror while working with awk. I am confused :confused: what to do ? awk: 0602-591 String 1,9,20,6,6 cannot be longer than 399 bytes. The source line is 1. The error context is >>> <<< awk: 0602-591... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script - entered input(1-40 bytes) needs to be converted exactly 40 bytes

hello, suppose, entered input is of 1-40 bytes, i need it to be converted to 40 bytes exactly. example: if i have entered my name anywhere between 1-40 i want it to be stored with 40 bytes exactly. enter your name: donald duck (this is of 11 bytes) expected is as below - display 11... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shravan.300
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input file with in awk script not through command line

Hi All, Do we know how to read input file within awk script and send output toanother log file. All this needs to be in awk script, not in command line. I am running this awk through crontab. Cat my.awk #!/bin/awk -f function test(var){ some code} { } END { print"test code" } (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: random_thoughts
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : Want to print columns of different input files in line wise

Hi, I want to print last column of 3 input files with awk. cat file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt file1.txt 1 ad 200 2 ss 300 file2.txt 1 mm 444 2 ee 555 file3.txt 1 kk 999 2 jj 555 My o/p should be :- 1 200 444 999 2 300 555 555 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satishmallidi
3 Replies
TEXT2PS(L)																TEXT2PS(L)

NAME
text2ps - convert text files to PostScript SYNOPSIS
text2ps [ options ] [ files ] DESCRIPTION
Text2ps reads the input files (standard input if none are specified) and produces PostScript code which, when fed to a PostScript printer, will print the files. With text2ps it is possible to select any font, point size and number of columns. Options and files can be inter- mixed on the command line. Options are effective for all following files until they are overridden. Options Here follows a list of options that text2ps recognizes. Most numeric arguments are significant to one decimal place. Options are evalu- ated from left to right. Later options override earlier ones. -# n Print n copies of each page. (Default 1.) -c n Print in n columns. (Default 1.) -f font Print using font font. (Default Courier.) -p n Print with point size n. (Default 9.) -v n Use a vertical spacing of n points. If the vertical spacing is set to 0, the spacing will be 1.2 times the point size. (Default 0.) -l n Print n lines per column. When the line count is 0, print as many lines as will fit. (Default 0.) -r [p|l] Set the orientation to either portrait mode (p) or landscape mode (l). (Default p.) -b [+|-] Set page break mode. An argument + will force new files to be always printed on a new page (this is the default). After - new files will be put on the same page if there are still empty columns and the number of columns, the orientation or the number of copies didn't change. New files always start new columns. (Default -.) -mt n The top margin is n points. (Default 63.) -mb n The bottom margin is n points. (Default 63.) -ml n The left margin is n points. (Default 59.) -mr n The right margin is n points. (Default 59.) -mg n The inter-column gap is n points. (Default 25.) -t [+|-] If the argument is + the name of the file being printed will be printed on each page. If the argument is - the file name will not be printed. -t + implies -b +. -T text Print text as title on each page. This implies -t - and -b +. This option can be switched off by specifying -t - or -t +. (Default no title.) -F font Set the title font to font. (Default Helvetica.) -P n Set the title point size to n. (Default 12.) -B n Draw borders around each page. The number n specifies how to draw borders. N can have any of the following values or-ed in: 1 Draw a line along the left of the page. 2 Draw a line along the bottom of the page. 4 Draw a line along the right of the page. 8 Draw a line along the top of the page. 16 Draw a line between columns. This line does not connect to the lines along the top or bottom. 32 Draw a connecting line between the line between columns and the line along the top. 64 Draw a connecting line between the line between columns and the line along the bottom. When n is 0, no border lines are drawn. (Default no bordering lines.) -w n Tab stops are set every n spaces. Set the width of the TAB character. (Default 8.) -1 Sets up options to print in one column in portrait mode with the Courier font, so that you get 66 lines on a page. Equivalent to specifying the options -c 1 -f Courier -p 9 -v 0 -r p -l 0 -mt 63 -mb 63 -ml 59 -mr 59. This is the default. -2 Sets up options to print in two columns in landscape mode with the Courier font, so that you get two 66-line columns on a page. Equivalent to specifying the options -c 2 -f Courier -p 6 -v 0 -r l -l 0 -mt 63 -mb 63 -ml 59 -mr 59 -mg 25. Together with the -1 option, this is probably the most useful option. The name - means standard input. BUGS
Too many options. There is no way to specify where the title will be placed. If the font being used is not a constant width font and there are other characters than just tabs and spaces in front of a tab, the next character may not align properly. TEXT2PS(L)