Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell $,/r getting added in echo on variable substitution. Post 302539421 by Franklin52 on Sunday 17th of July 2011 10:52:20 AM
Old 07-17-2011
Use a Unix/Linux editor or remove the Carriage Returns with:
Code:
tr -d '\r' < dosfile > unixfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

variable substitution

Hi everyone, I have a simple question to ask : In a script that I'm writting, I need to create variables on-the-fly. For instance, for every iterartion of the following loop a var_X variable should be generated : #!/bin/ksh a="1 2 3" for i in $a do var_${i}=$i echo "${var_$i}" done ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ck-18
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command substitution within an echo

I'm trying to get this to work and I'm not really sure how to do it. echo $x | awk '{print $NF}' MODIFIEDThe output I'm trying to get should look like: dir1 MODIFIED Where dir1 will be the result of: $x |awk '{print $NF}'I'm sure there's something I'm supposed to put around that part... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ewoods
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable Substitution

Hi , I have a variable as follows, Temp=`cat ABC.txt | cut -c5-` This will yeild a part of the date. say , 200912. I would like to substitute this variable's value in a filename. eg: File200912F.zip when i say File$TempF.zip , it is not substituting. Any help ? Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanpadamata
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using echo to print double quotes along with variable substitution

Hi, I am generating html code using cshell, but i am having one problem while printing double quotes, I need to write following code in file. where $var contains list of web address <a href="$var">$var</a> So i am using echo "<a href="$var">$var</a>" > file.html But with this " in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to echo a text where a (.) is added to the end of line during on-going copy or ftp

Hello All, I would like to create a script to echo a text where a (.) dot is added every 2 seconds to the end of this text (with a limit of 10 dots) as long as a file copy or ftp is ongoing and once the copy is finished it adds "done" to the end of this text line. please see the below example: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dendany83
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use variable with command substitution in variable

For example I have variable like below echo $OUTPUT /some/path/`uname -n` when I try to use the variable OUTPUT like below cd $OUTPUT or cd ${OUTPUT} I am getting bad substituion error message $ cd $OUTPUT ksh: cd: bad substitution $ cd ${OUTPUT} ksh: cd: bad substitution ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajukv
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command substitution in echo

a=1 b1=unix echo $b`$a` The above code is not working. Instead of printing the variable b1 using 'echo $b1', how to use variable 'a' to print 'b1' (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script worked correctly until I added variable :(

Hi everyone, I have been using a shell script for the last 6 months to copy a database from a POS system, then analyse the database and print the current sales total. This has worked flawlessly, the only issue was that I had hard coded the IP address of the POS and occasionally I would need to... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjws
23 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Validation to be added in the shell script

I need help with one of my shell script. The script is working fine but i need to add two condition - i need to get rid of all the below ftp messages and need to have only ftp completed or failed message. example when i run the script i get below lines - Connected to xxxx 220 (vsFTPd... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chandraprakash
1 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)