Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Determining typing latency
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Determining typing latency Post 302539361 by matrixmadhan on Sunday 17th of July 2011 01:55:40 AM
Old 07-17-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirni
I'd think a simple ping time would be a representative measure of how much delay you get, since the delay is caused by the information that needs to get transmitted through network.
Thanks. I thought of this gropher first but am not really sure whether this is the right one to use for relative metric.

For a region say A, I ping to a local box in region 'A' and ping to remote box in region 'B' which involves a WAN latency. Can I use the average ping metrics to these boxes and say that my typing latency is 'x' times more in remote box when compared to the latency in local box?

Is it a right metric to use?

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

iptables latency evaluation

Hello guys, I'm actually working on my master thesis which has for subject the evaluation of virtual firewall in a cloud environment. To do so, I installed my own cloud using OpenNebula (as a frontend) and Xen (as a Node) on two different machines. The Xen machine is my virtual firewall thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Slaughterman
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No $ when typing cw

Hi As a dummy my question is very simple. When typing cw I've read (many times) that a '$' should appear at the end of the word I'm about to change. However, it doesn't, and in my case the word is instantly deleted and so ready to be changed! Can somebody tell me why this is, or maybe I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: joesh
4 Replies

3. AIX

Latency Test

Hi every one, we have a set up in solaris 8 and 9 and running many cshell scripts.. we are migrate to AIX . Now, i want to know the latency difference between two boxes(Solaris and AIX). Kindly help me to , how to do Latency test.. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Madhu Siddula
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Latency Test

Hi every one, we have a set up in solaris 8 and 9 and running many cshell scripts.. we are migrate to AIX . Now, i want to know the latency difference between two boxes(Solaris and AIX). Kindly help me to , how to do Latency test.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Madhu Siddula
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

Memory release latency issue

I have an application that routinely alloc() and realloc() gigabyte blocks of memory for image processing applications; specifically performing rotations of huge images, or creating/ deleting huge image buffers to contain multiple images. Immediately upon completion of an operation I call free() to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: imagtek
9 Replies
puzzle(1X)																puzzle(1X)

NAME
puzzle - 15-puzzle game for X SYNOPSIS
puzzle [-option...] OPTIONS
This option specifies the display to use; see X(1X). This option specifies the size and position of the puzzle window; see X(1X). This option specifies the size of the puzzle in squares. This option specifies the speed in tiles per second for moving tiles around. This option specifies an image file containing the picture to use on the tiles. Try "mandrill.cm." This only works on 8-bit pseudo-color screens. This option indicates that the program should create its own colormap for the picture option. DESCRIPTION
Executing puzzle with no arguments plays a 4x4 15-puzzle. The control bar has two boxes in it. Clicking in the left box scrambles the puzzle. Clicking in the right box solves the puzzle. Clicking the middle button anywhere else in the control bar causes puzzle to exit. Clicking in the tiled region moves the empty spot to that location if the region you click in is in the same row or column as the empty slot. BUGS
The picture option should work on a wider variety of screens. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1988, Don Bennett. SEE ALSO
X(1X) AUTHOR
Don Bennett, HP Labs puzzle(1X)