Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Determining typing latency
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Determining typing latency Post 302539312 by matrixmadhan on Saturday 16th of July 2011 01:35:21 PM
Old 07-16-2011
Determining typing latency

Hi all,

When I use an editor (vi) that is spawned in a remote server, visually I could see the latency between typing a character/word and being displayed on the terminal. I could see this visually but how do I get a metric on this or how to quantify this?

As expected, when I type in a editor spawned in my local desktop there is no latency / there is latency that I cannot observe optically (as you know it looks like almost the same event - therefore typing a character and the character to appear on the screen)

Any pointers on how to quantify the typing latency?

I tried with wpm (words per minute), sometimes since the latency is high I am not really convinced whether that is a right metric.

Pointers please. Thanks

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

iptables latency evaluation

Hello guys, I'm actually working on my master thesis which has for subject the evaluation of virtual firewall in a cloud environment. To do so, I installed my own cloud using OpenNebula (as a frontend) and Xen (as a Node) on two different machines. The Xen machine is my virtual firewall thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Slaughterman
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No $ when typing cw

Hi As a dummy my question is very simple. When typing cw I've read (many times) that a '$' should appear at the end of the word I'm about to change. However, it doesn't, and in my case the word is instantly deleted and so ready to be changed! Can somebody tell me why this is, or maybe I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: joesh
4 Replies

3. AIX

Latency Test

Hi every one, we have a set up in solaris 8 and 9 and running many cshell scripts.. we are migrate to AIX . Now, i want to know the latency difference between two boxes(Solaris and AIX). Kindly help me to , how to do Latency test.. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Madhu Siddula
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Latency Test

Hi every one, we have a set up in solaris 8 and 9 and running many cshell scripts.. we are migrate to AIX . Now, i want to know the latency difference between two boxes(Solaris and AIX). Kindly help me to , how to do Latency test.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Madhu Siddula
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

Memory release latency issue

I have an application that routinely alloc() and realloc() gigabyte blocks of memory for image processing applications; specifically performing rotations of huge images, or creating/ deleting huge image buffers to contain multiple images. Immediately upon completion of an operation I call free() to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: imagtek
9 Replies
LATENCY(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						LATENCY(1)

NAME
latency -- monitors scheduling and interrupt latency SYNOPSIS
latency [-p] [-h] [-m] [-st threshold] [-it threshold] [-c code_file] [-l log_file] [-R raw_file] [-n kernel] DESCRIPTION
The latency utility provides scheduling and interrupt-latency statistics. Due to the kernel tracing facility it uses to operate, the command requires root privileges. The arguments are as follows: -c code_file When the -c option is specified, it takes a path to a code file that contains the mappings for the system calls. This option over- rides the default location of the system call code file, which is found in /usr/share/misc/trace.codes. -h Display high resolution interrupt latencies and write them to latencies.csv (truncate existing file) upon exit. -m Display per-CPU interrupt latency statistics. -it threshold Set the interrupt latency threshold, expressed in microseconds. If the latency exceeds this value, and a log file has been speci- fied, a record of what occurred during this time is recorded. -l log_file Specifies a log file that is written to when either the interrupt or scheduling latency is exceeded. -n kernel By default, latency acts on the default /mach_kernel. This option allows you to specify an alternate booted kernel. -p priority Specifies the priority level to observe scheduler latencies for. -st threshold Set the scheduler latency threshold in microseconds. If latency exceeds this, and a log file has been specified, a record of what occurred during this time is recorded. -R raw_file Specifies a raw trace file to use as input. The data columns displayed are as follows: SCHEDULER The number of context switches that fall within the described delay. INTERRUPTS The number of interrupts that fall within the described delay. The latency utility is also SIGWINCH savvy, so adjusting your window geometry will change the list of delay values displayed. SAMPLE USAGE
latency -p 97 -st 20000 -it 1000 -l /var/tmp/latency.log The latency utility will watch threads with priority 97 for scheduling latencies. The threshold for the scheduler is set to 20000 microsec- onds. The threshold for interrupts is set to 1000 microseconds. Latencies that exceed these thresholds will be logged in /var/tmp/latency.log. SEE ALSO
fs_usage(1), sc_usage(1), top(1) Mac OS X March 28, 2000 Mac OS X